• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where has all the Russian 9mm ammo gone?

Shot the rest of my Wolf 9mm out of my 43' Spreewerke P38 yesterday. Shot great. (It was designed to shoot wartime production steel case shit. Get over it.) Got home and went on TSUSA to order another case... Nothing. Not a box of Russian steel case ammo to be found on the site. A few other sites are either out of stock or very low stock. Seems like 7.62x39 is still GTG. Anyone know whats up with this?

Nobody buys it, because it's dirty, underpowered, weakass piece of shit inaccurate ammo? That's my guess.
It shoots fine. Never once had a problem with it out of any 9mm pistol I've ever owned, and many others will relay the same message. If nobody buys it, why is is sold out everywhere? Friggin ammo snobs...

Why not just buy brass cased 9mm? The price difference between brass and steel can’t be more than a $1 per box at this point.

I know of a vendor that has brown bear and wolf for $7.75 and $7.99 per box. But you’ll have to pay for shipping unless you spend $300 then it’s free

It was cheap to buy when a communist occupied the White House, now that we have a little bit of freedom breath, better and local ammo is priced reasonably so the Russian ammo is out. It was a Russian Ammo Collusion with our 2nd amendment inventory.

BTW - had plenty of that ammo (still have some) and never had an issue.

I broke down and bought a case of the Geco 124 gr NATO ball stuff they had. Gotta have some 9mm range stuff on hand. Ended up being like $185. About $30 more per case for quality German ammo. Not bad. Signed up for notifications of all the Russian stuff.

I broke down and bought a case of the Geco 124 gr NATO ball stuff they had. Gotta have some 9mm range stuff on hand. Ended up being like $185. About $30 more per case for quality German ammo. Not bad. Signed up for notifications of all the Russian stuff.
I bought a couple of cases of that A few weeks ago. Shot about 500 rounds, no complaints.

Shot the rest of my Wolf 9mm out of my 43' Spreewerke P38 yesterday. Shot great. (It was designed to shoot wartime production steel case shit. Get over it.) Got home and went on TSUSA to order another case... Nothing. Not a box of Russian steel case ammo to be found on the site. A few other sites are either out of stock or very low stock. Seems like 7.62x39 is still GTG. Anyone know whats up with this?

With brass case 9mm going well under 200 a case at this point there's not really much incentive left to buy it. It's not like you're getting 1000 rounds for $100 by switching
to steel.

I am betting the trade tarriff BS with Russia also plays into it too, lately. With 762 x 39 you don't see as much of it because people don't chew through that as fast as 9mm and theres a sort of residual inventory buffer left around.

-Mike

It's not like you're getting 1000 rounds for $100 by switching
to steel.
With target prime, it's $128 vs $200 for quality brass. When you're a high volume shooter, this cost difference adds up. And I'm not some match grade competition pro, I'm just a dude getting his pew pew on.

With target prime, it's $128 vs $200 for quality brass. When you're a high volume shooter, this cost difference adds up. And I'm not some match grade competition pro, I'm just a dude getting his pew pew on.

If you shoot that much to where it actually makes a difference (more than a few cases a year) you should be reloading it instead, you would pay for the gear in less than a season.

ETA: If you're quoting 128 as the price of the steel and it's not in stock, that's not a real price btw, just saying. That was the price the last time it was in stock (whenever that was). I bet the number changes if the stuff ever comes back.

-Mike

Last edited:
It shoots fine. Never once had a problem with it out of any 9mm pistol I've ever owned, and many others will relay the same message. If nobody buys it, why is is sold out everywhere? Friggin ammo snobs...

Because the market is soft and nobody is going to sell that stuff when they can make a better margin on brass.

I would buy the stuff if it was 100 bucks a case, hell I shot most of a USPSA season with the stuff (around sandy hookmaster retard time, TulAmmo was literally all you could buy in bulk) but at the current short interval of price difference its not worth it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you shoot that much to where it actually makes a difference (more than a few cases a year) you should be reloading it instead, you would pay for the gear in less than a season.

ETA: If you're quoting 128 as the price of the steel and it's not in stock, that's not a real price btw, just saying. That was the price the last time it was in stock (whenever that was). I bet the number changes if the stuff ever comes back.

-Mike
How much time does it take you in total to reload say 200 round? I find that in general time is my limiting factor...

How much time does it take you in total to reload say 200 round? I find that in general time is my limiting factor...

To actually answer the question though, 200 rounds? Well I remember doing runs that short, but being set up to do them... I could actually set the press up and bang that out in about 20 minutes or so, and that time including filling the primer tubes, loading/checking the powder measure for accuracy, and using pre-cleaned brass... and that was at a slow pace. I had to do that a couple times with bowling pin shoots where I was like "oh shit I need to load ammo" so I'd get up a little earlier and go in the basement before going to the range...

Granted that's not a full time accounting of all the activities to get set up to do that. If you do your loading in the off season when you're not shooting, it's not that bad. I used to do batches of a minimum of 400 rounds, and I could do that in an hour if all the stuff was set up the right way. You break the other tasks down into smaller tasks that don't take as much time. It used to be "oh its shitty today not driving to range, ill load ammo" and in an afternoon I'd bang out 1000 rounds. And that was with a 550 and being very careful. Staging the stuff so you're ready for (insert next task) is the key. Oh I put in a load of laundry, well, that's enough time to go across the basement and do 10-20 mins of case prep BS with the tumblers or whatever. A lot of the tasks that don't involve actually loading the ammo don't have to be done all at once. And with volume they scale pretty well too. For example I ended up only doing a few runs of cleaning of
brass every year because I built up enough brass inventory that I just didn't need to do it much.

I haven't been shooting that much in the past few years so I ended up selling my press (but I kept most of the other stuff) but I think by the time next winter rolls around again I'll have another press, it made life easier in terms of keeping a supply of ammo around.

When I used to reload there was none of this "oh I only can bring a few boxes of ammo to the range because I don't want to use it all up" bullshit. I used to bring these food containers with 400ish rounds of 9mm in it and usually just shoot till I got tired, lol. You end up being able to shoot a lot more for the same amount
of money. If I had been buying commercial back then there's no way I would have been able to keep that kind of pace, I literally would not have been able to
afford it.

-Mike

To actually answer the question though, 200 rounds? Well I remember doing runs that short, but being set up to do them... I could actually set the press up and bang that out in about 20 minutes or so, and that time including filling the primer tubes, loading/checking the powder measure for accuracy, and using pre-cleaned brass... and that was at a slow pace. I had to do that a couple times with bowling pin shoots where I was like "oh shit I need to load ammo" so I'd get up a little earlier and go in the basement before going to the range...

Granted that's not a full time accounting of all the activities to get set up to do that. If you do your loading in the off season when you're not shooting, it's not that bad. I used to do batches of a minimum of 400 rounds, and I could do that in an hour if all the stuff was set up the right way. You break the other tasks down into smaller tasks that don't take as much time. It used to be "oh its shitty today not driving to range, ill load ammo" and in an afternoon I'd bang out 1000 rounds. And that was with a 550 and being very careful. Staging the stuff so you're ready for (insert next task) is the key. Oh I put in a load of laundry, well, that's enough time to go across the basement and do 10-20 mins of case prep BS with the tumblers or whatever. A lot of the tasks that don't involve actually loading the ammo don't have to be done all at once. And with volume they scale pretty well too. For example I ended up only doing a few runs of cleaning of
brass every year because I built up enough brass inventory that I just didn't need to do it much.

I haven't been shooting that much in the past few years so I ended up selling my press (but I kept most of the other stuff) but I think by the time next winter rolls around again I'll have another press, it made life easier in terms of keeping a supply of ammo around.

When I used to reload there was none of this "oh I only can bring a few boxes of ammo to the range because I don't want to use it all up" bullshit. I used to bring these food containers with 400ish rounds of 9mm in it and usually just shoot till I got tired, lol. You end up being able to shoot a lot more for the same amount
of money. If I had been buying commercial back then there's no way I would have been able to keep that kind of pace, I literally would not have been able to
afford it.

-Mike
Man, I wish I had the time to reload. Between my lady, 2 little kids and 40-50 hours a week at the factory, there's no time. I'd rather spend my off time gardening or hiking or some shit than sitting in the basement on a makeshift, one man ammo assembly line. I have a press and might set up a reloading bench for all my esoteric old military rifle calibers, but it wont be any sort of mass production operation. I'll leave that to guys who are on the clock.

Where has all the Russian 9mm ammo gone?

Venezuela...?

With brass case 9mm going well under 200 a case at this point there's not really much incentive left to buy it. It's not like you're getting 1000 rounds for $100 by switching
to steel.

I am betting the trade tarriff BS with Russia also plays into it too, lately. With 762 x 39 you don't see as much of it because people don't chew through that as fast as 9mm and theres a sort of residual inventory buffer left around.

-Mike
I still stand by that post and believe the block chain is breaking.

On another note I was speaking with Keith at 619DW and he told me there were stricter chemical plant inspections for the Russian small arms stuff and some plants were facing export restrictions from us here in the good ‘ole US of A. I didn’t press for more info as I was keen on some purchases instead. Nonetheless I bought a case of Golden Tiger anyways, cuz you know.

There are some stories from spring of last year referencing bad QC.

Here:
Russia Makes Some Dangerous Guns. But the Ammo Is a Big Problem.

And then there’s this plant fire.

And here’s some fun for you cosmonauts out there. At .33 seconds the diarrhea begins and ends spectacularly.

Commentary appears to be Boris approved.

Man, I wish I had the time to reload. Between my lady, 2 little kids and 40-50 hours a week at the factory, there's no time. I'd rather spend my off time gardening or hiking or some shit than sitting in the basement on a makeshift, one man ammo assembly line. I have a press and might set up a reloading bench for all my esoteric old military rifle calibers, but it wont be any sort of mass production operation. I'll leave that to guys who are on the clock.
Time is definitely a factor.

Update: My P38 loves the brass 124 grain Geco stuff. Tackdriver. Ive not tried it out in my Glock 19, but i dont feel that its necessary. That thing eats whatever i feed it.

That is why you do it when the weather is crappy like during a snow storm, rain or when it's very cold to go out

Back
Top Bottom