Where is all the .410 shotgun ammo?

I get that people are buying up ammo as fast as it hits the shelves but who is hoarding all the .410?
Is it all the Taurus Judge owners?
It's not that popular of a round.
I plan on hunting grouse with my .410 this fall and started looking for ammo but none of the online ammo dealers have any in stock.
Did they just stop making it?

I get that people are buying up ammo as fast as it hits the shelves but who is hoarding all the .410?
I plan on hunting grouse with my .410 this fall and started looking for ammo but none of the online ammo dealers have any in stock.
Probably concentrating on 20 and 12. 410 isn't that popular anymore.

If I had to guess whoever was making .410 is making 12 and 20 gauge a lot more instead, and the .410 line and tooling is idle as the demand is generally low and as far as I know theres not going to be any resurgence of it either.

I do think the ammo thing is a little suspicious though. Theres THAT MANY new people buying ammo? Christ.

Probably concentrating on 20 and 12. 410 isn't that popular anymore.
I have a good amount of 12 guage but it is thick here and most of my shots will be within 20 yards, many even 10 yards.
The grouse are all over the place here.
I just went for a walk and within a minute I was 20 yards from one and yesterday there was one within 10 yards of my back door.

I have a good amount of 12 guage but it is thick here and most of my shots will be within 20 yards, many even 10 yards.
The grouse are all over the place here.
I just went for a walk and within a minute I was 20 yards from one and yesterday there was one within 10 yards of my back door.
IC choke 12 or 20 would still be fine at 10 to 20 yards depending on your gun of course. When I hit snowshoe hare at 10 to 20 yards with my IC choked browning a5 there are usually only a dozen or so pellets in the rabbit. Doest tear em up at all.

As others have mentioned, the ammo companies make ammo in batches and .410 is low priority in comparison to 12 and 20. I think a lot of people are buying .410 for youth turkey hunting. So, what was around got bought up for youth turkey season.

My preferred grouse load is 1oz no. 8 shot @ 1200fps either in 12 or 16. YMMV.

I agree with .410. I've never liked spitting out BB's when eating rabbit. I've never had trouble finding .410 ammo, but I try to keep a supply on hand, because you never know when a bunny hunt opportunity will come up.

If I had to guess whoever was making .410 is making 12 and 20 gauge a lot more instead, and the .410 line and tooling is idle as the demand is generally low and as far as I know theres not going to be any resurgence of it either.

I do think the ammo thing is a little suspicious though. Theres THAT MANY new people buying ammo? Christ.
The left is arming up

8 million new gun owners. If they each bought 1 bullet that's 8 million bullets off the market.
If they each bought a box of fiffy thats four hundred million bullets. And thats just new gun owners.

Win AA #7.5 shot or something similar in 12 or 20 will do well and not tear them up.
AAs or equivalent in #8 or #9 for woodcock & quail too.

Almost all the squirrel hunters I know around here use .410ga. Haven't seen any .410 in the stores in a very long time, even pre election/ pre covid.

All the dove, quail and rabbit hunters around use either .20 or 12ga. and seasonally those disappear quickly too. A couple of years ago there were end caps in stores with 12 and 20 stacked seven feet high....now there's nothing.

I heard, if you dress like an Asian anime woman and show up to Reptile's home, you might get some .410.

Win AA #7.5 shot or something similar in 12 or 20 will do well and not tear them up.
AAs or equivalent in #8 or #9 for woodcock & quail too.
That’s my go to and has been for years. It’s not all about cost. Birds or movements soon die if I do my job. I eliminated weapon and ammo issues by NOT buying shit in the first place.

And why are the FUDDS buying up all the Trap ammo? Who are they going to shoot with 12 gauge bird shot!

The season just started and I only have 1 case!

I've got one box of Federal (marked as handgun, I think).
Call Warren at M&B Sports, he is due to get some in, I believe.
I can go over with you if out-of-state.

Never mind. I see you are in Maine.

Ohhh. Speaking shot guns , he has ten Hunt Group semi-auto 12g in stock, too. Looks like the model M13-W-01 series. Apparently, a Turkish-made, Benelli-contracted affair. Similar to pic below, but with 47cm barrel:

Attachments

• M13-W-01-min.png
    M13-W-01-min.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Yeah lol there is

Ammo Inc is reporting a 1 billion round backlog

This is why I want to hunt grouse with my .410 and not my 12 guage.
Went for a short ATV ride and ran into 3 grouse that let me get this close. I'd hate to hit that with a 12 guage.IMG_20210427_145708924~2.jpg

This is why I want to hunt grouse with my .410 and not my 12 guage.
Went for a short ATV ride and ran into 3 grouse that let me get this close. I'd hate to hit that with a 12 guage.View attachment 477221
It’s shaping up to be a decent spring for the birds. We went on a fishing road trip last Saturday from Lily Bay then around to West Outlet and Adams Dam Rd and saw several birds and we really weren’t looking for them. Here’s one taking it’s sweet ass time crossing the road. 05896C22-5D1A-4A62-A7A2-DE2FC4D98D83.jpeg
Snapping a #4 fly rod kinda pissed me off and for the very first time in 60 years I got locked out of my truck with the keys in the ignition at Churchill Stream so smash went a window.

Last edited:
Popularity of ammo cuts both ways.

When the most popular ammo is in jawdroppingly high demand, less popular ammo goes out of production to make room for extra production of the popular stuff. Machines and equipment which are used to load multiple calibers are set to work almost exclusively on the most popular. Man power and materials, the same.

For half of the CRE 2020 summer, 10mm, .410, 45gap, and a few other oddballs and slightly less popular (all the way to full blown weird) rounds were actually pretty easy to find. When the supply burned through in most places, there wasn't anything to replace it.

Actually, according to this video, the Taurus Judge was the #7 top selling handgun of the 20'-21' pandemic gun buying surge:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3XByu_lS4

Back
Top Bottom