• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

where to buy gold / silver bullion coins

Where's the best place to buy? any recommendations? I'm looking to diversify so I dont have all my assets as digits on paper or on a computer screen. thanks in advance!

local coin store is probably the best bet depending on quantity. apmex is good too.

Local coin shows usually have someone selling for a certain amount over "spot" price on silver and gold. Rounds, bars and coins are the typical forms. Cheapest I have seen is usually at one of these shows.

I found local coin shops to be terribly overpriced. The best deals I found online were bulliondirect.com, CNA, and Blanchardgold.com .

another vote for APMEX.....I have bought from them numerous times....they always seem to have the best price....and watch it, it varies from minute to minute.....

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I took some time to look at most of the sites and since I'm a relative n00b at this, what is the preferred size? 1oz? 1/2 oz? Obvioulsy it seems that the larger the amount you buy the less they charge over the spot rate.

So, would it be better to purchase 1oz coins over 1/2 oz to lessen the premium?

Also I noticed that prices can differ from US gold compared to Canadian. They both have the same purity and contain the same amount. But isnt gold, gold?

It really depends on why you are buying the coins in the first place, if you are trying to simply preserve the buying power of your savings 1oz and even bigger gold coins are great (easier to manage,count, lower premium etc) but if you are looking for bartering currency for when TSHTF, fractional gold is your best bet. Don't forget to diversify into silver and other metals as well.
IMHO, gold is gold, silver is silver, and get the most metal you can for your dollars. Of course easily recognized mints have their advantages when trying to sell or trade later down the line.

I recently made my first purchase of junk silver on eBay. I bought 5 dollars worth of mercury dimes. The prices are ranging from 10-12 times face value. The price I paid came in at about 10.5 times. You can get slightly better prices the larger the purchase, but I think Id rather spread my risk out over many smaller purchases.

Join this board and you will get a lot of tips on investing in Precious metals.

http://goldismoney.info/forums/

GIM does have some good info and ive spent lots of time reading there, but take everything you read with a grain of salt. some of their more "seasoned" posters are quite looney in my opinion.

Plus the blatant antisemitism gets old quick.

Well an opinion is one thing that we all have and at this point in time are allowed to state.

So if you dont like what the membership has to say OK Ill accept that from you.

Some people cant or wont be drawn out of the MATRIX until its too late.

With regard of the statement of Blatant Antisemitism:

I am mostly neutral when it comes to other races, If they are races that have an agenda that is not pro American then I have a major problem with them be they Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Amharic or Asians (I mention those as they seem to be the ones that are more related to what you call anti-Semitic according to online sources.

I dont consider myself anti-Semitic or pro-Semitic and I dont consider myself hostile toward them.

GIM does have some good info and ive spent lots of time reading there, but take everything you read with a grain of salt. some of their more "seasoned" posters are quite loony in my opinion.

Join this board and you will get a lot of tips on investing in Precious metals.

http://goldismoney.info/forums/

GIM does have some good info and ive spent lots of time reading there, but take everything you read with a grain of salt. some of their more "seasoned" posters are quite looney in my opinion.

A double thickness of ALCOA 'round the noggin helps over there.
thtinfoilhat.gif

Counterfeiting is a serious problem with PMs on both ends. You have less of a chance of getting plated tungsten with Apmex and the big names, plus you get a bit of provenance you can show the next buyer wit the invoice and, optionally, their "mint direct" sealed packaging. If you try to sell direct in any non-trivial quantity it is going to be hard except to a broker with at least a 5% spread from market. Sell to individuals, and you will have to undercut the Apmex price to compensate them for the additional risk of non-authenticity. If I invest in PMs, it would only be through a big name brokerage, not Iggy and Ziggy with coins or rounds they assure me are authentic. Even non-specialty banks dealing in gold have been burned and unwittingly burned customers.

Apmex. I've bought both gold and silver coins and ingots as well as a nice pile of NH goldbacks from them. Everything I buy from them is sealed and stays in the sealed container so it doesn't lose it's potential for being labelled as counterfeit in the future. If I choose to spend my goldbacks in the future I rip open the bag it's sealed in and use it, but at least the seller will know it's authentic at the time of sale.

Apmex. I've bought both gold and silver coins and ingots as well as a nice pile of NH goldbacks from them. Everything I buy from them is sealed and stays in the sealed container so it doesn't lose it's potential for being labelled as counterfeit in the future. If I choose to spend my goldbacks in the future I rip open the bag it's sealed in and use it, but at least the seller will know it's authentic at the time of sale.
Sure wouldn't want to lose the potential of being labeled counterfeit.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I took some time to look at most of the sites and since I'm a relative n00b at this, what is the preferred size? 1oz? 1/2 oz? Obvioulsy it seems that the larger the amount you buy the less they charge over the spot rate.

So, would it be better to purchase 1oz coins over 1/2 oz to lessen the premium?

Also I noticed that prices can differ from US gold compared to Canadian. They both have the same purity and contain the same amount. But isnt gold, gold?

I like varieties of things so for me I have 2 10oz silver bars a 1oz credit suisse gold and a few $20 St Gauden gold pieces my most favorite coin of them all. For silver I love having weird stuff. I recently bought a couple of silver bars which are made to look like bescar steel from the Mandelorian. I have Charlie Brown silver coins, sonic the hedgehog, etc. Some of the silver stuff they sell is pretty cool. I discovered goldbacks and now I have a nice stack of goldbacks. It's not like I'm considering any of this an 'investment', I just find it cool to have unusual things.

Sure wouldn't want to lose the potential of being labeled counterfeit.

If I open the container and remove the coin to hold in my hand and put it back, will it still be considered valid if some day I choose to sell it? If it stays sealed in the wrapped or container the chance for a potential future buyer to say "It's a fake" are greatly reduced.

What is the attraction of NH Goldbacks that currently cost about 2x spot (JM Bullion price)?

If I open the container and remove the coin to hold in my hand and put it back, will it still be considered valid if some day I choose to sell it? If it stays sealed in the wrapped or container the chance for a potential future buyer to say "It's a fake" are greatly reduced.
Check out how the original sentence parses - you do not want to "lose" the ability to be suspected "counterfeit".

Depends on the buyer. Professional brokerages will know how to check coins and bullions, and will have expensive high equipment to do so.

I’ve had good luck with JM Bullion. They come out with different sale items every Monday.

Back
Top Bottom