Where to find scrap lead

mac1911

NES Member

View: https://youtu.be/c2qxUfEtfZI

In the 15 min i had to wait for live fire I grabbed a bucket walked down range and picked up 13lbs- weight of bucket and walked back. much easier to do with some sort of screened scoop. I used to use a clam rake lined with screen.

Last edited:
If you're able to scavenge the berms, at least do some housecleaning while grabbing your share. Is it that hard to dispose of a few jackets and other debris?
Personally, I just place my hand over a shooter's muzzle and grab the bullets as they exit the barrel!

Not sure how many clubs want every yokel screwing up the dress of their berms.
Correct you need to find out your club policy. You can collect lead at the base, there’s plenty with out digging or walking up onto the face of the berm.
Back when I had time we would use a clam rake and skim the top few inches and then rake up when done.
Your point of picking up is a good one.
When I was done with the 10min or so my 5 gallon bucket was full of trash. Shot gun shells 4 live 9mm ( these are mostly from LEO training) 3 shot up milk cartons and several bottle caps.
When I was a kid the club had no trash cans and you removed what you brought in and then some. Now the trash cans are right there and there’s always shot up stuff on the range.
Heck you can find pistol bullets approx 5-8’ behind where the targets are. For what ever reason the rounds like to nose dive after going through the backer.
Your club docsteel plate shoots. Pick up the lead discs right there in front of the targets

the few clubs I belong/belonged to don't allow taking lead from the berms. they always used it as click bait to get help when it was time to dress up the ranges, both outside and inside. the workers could divvy up the recovered lead. so of course it was mostly the folks that cast who volunteered for that work day.

Back
Top Bottom