Where to get a CB repaired?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
I know it's a little off-topic since it's CB... but I've got a couple of mobile units and I'm wondering if it's worth it to get them repaired or just spend $100 for a new one. Is there any place left (preferably in Metrowest) that repairs them?

Or is there anyone on here who does a little moonlighting repairing CBs?

(disclaimer - I plan to try for my Technician and General licenses Real Soon Now... Just haven't gotten round to it yet).

Last edited:
Not quite metrowest, but I've had Comtronics over in Quincy do some work on my UHF radio, and they know their stuff. http://radioshop.com/

Otherwise, I'd go to You-do-it in Needham and ask their guys for a recommendation. Best electronic candy store around.

Symptoms? Make and model?

If no power or it blows fuses immediatley upon applying power to the leads and its a 12v mobile rig, the first thing to check and the usual component that fails is a reverse polarity protection diode connected first in line with the positive power lead.

This diode shorts and will continually blow the fuse when power is applied to protect the radio circuitry from frying.

There's pretty much only Lou's in Bridgewater and Berube's up in NH. I don't know of any other CB shops.

CB Works would have been closest to you (Shrewsbury) but they closed up years ago, unfortunately. It's just tough to make any real money in that business without feeling like you're charging too much. Part of the problem is on a $100 radio a customer is not willing to spend $50 to fix/mod it. Which isn't even a tank of gas on a lot of vehicles anymore.

-Mike

Since you mentioned you'll be getting your Tech license soon, on Feb 18th in Marloborough is a good ham flea market. You might even consider tossing the CB radios and picking up a used one there. They also give the tests at that flea.

Lastly, are you sure you want CBs? I picked up a used one recently and I'm really, really dissapointed with who's using CBs these days. All I heard was either illegal big-guns doing DX from the mid-west or lowlifes that just like to hear themselves talk using more 4-letter words than anything else. Along I-95 I didn't hear any truckers or any useful travel info. I'll keep my CB for SHTF but that's all.

IIRC there was a place in Worcester but I can't remember the name of it.
I know the one; used to be right down the street from me when I was at Hanover Insurance. They're closed.

CB Works would have been closest to you (Shrewsbury) but they closed up years ago, unfortunately.
If that's the one on Rt 20 in Auburn, they're a sleazy and way overpriced used car dealer now. [sad]

Symptoms? Make and model?
Eek. I'd have to look at them again; been a while. I just kind of stuck them on a shelf and left them alone... I seem to recall that one was a Pace - received OK; only transmitted a carrier wave, I think - no audio. I'll have to dig them out along with the SWR meter tonight and check.

I know the one; used to be right down the street from me when I was at Hanover Insurance. They're closed.

If that's the one on Rt 20 in Auburn, they're a sleazy and way overpriced used car dealer now. [sad]

Eek. I'd have to look at them again; been a while. I just kind of stuck them on a shelf and left them alone... I seem to recall that one was a Pace - received OK; only transmitted a carrier wave, I think - no audio. I'll have to dig them out along with the SWR meter tonight and check.

Carrier w/no modulation, the first thing to check is the mic cord right where it plugs in. Thats the stress point/ flex point.

BTW, if either of them are "crystal" controlled radios, I'd just go ahead and replace the radio. Crystals drift with age and they are prohibitively expensive to replace these days. You can get a new forty channel AM radio for the price of two or three crystals.

Check out Copper Electronics online.

I've seen a "radio rebanding" sign on Rt 140 in shrewsbury near the UPS depot - google shows nothing though but maybe worth a swing in if you're in the area.

ETA: actually, here:
http://nicolecommawoo.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/radio-rebanding/

not sure if they do repairs

That's a state run radio shop, it's not open to the public, that's where the state police and other state agency 800 band radio users go to get their units reprogrammed.

The big place used to be in Nashua NH. Can't remember the name of it. Downtown somewhere.

Went there once to get some parts for a sideband enhancement.

Had a friend, Dave Wenzel (Methuen), do the work. He died a few years ago. Sad. He was my go-to guy for CB stuff/repairs, etc.

excelent cb shop in west bridgwater on 28. been around for 30+ years. Lou's cb shop. excelent tech ! excelelent repair work. 508-894-3007

The big place used to be in Nashua NH. Can't remember the name of it. Downtown somewhere.

You're thinking of Nashua Communications. Roger passed away many years ago, if I remember correctly. I still wonder to this day where the hell all his inventory went. He used to have stuff brand new in the box that you couldn't even buy anymore. Of course he wanted obscene money for it, too, but he had everything. He also used to have one of the biggest ever inventories of vacuum tubes in existence, from what people told me.

-Mike

I miss Roger from NCC he gave me so much free junk it wasn't even funny,I would stop in there every Saturday and hang out for 2-3 hours inhaling all that lovely second hand smoke.

You would be amazed at the people that would link themselves to this guy in the late 80's early 90's,I would drive all over New England buying shit people would sell radio wise and they would be like oh Roger and I we go way back.

Couple of people were sincere having all the books Roger wrote on Radio Theory.

Near the end I knew he wasnt to far out dodging the reaper when he kept trying to sell me show cats...thats right folks...show cats.

Near the end I knew he wasnt to far out dodging the reaper when he kept trying to sell me show cats...thats right folks...show cats.

oh-my-word.jpg

There's pretty much only Lou's in Bridgewater and Berube's up in NH. I don't know of any other CB shops.

CB Works would have been closest to you (Shrewsbury) but they closed up years ago, unfortunately. It's just tough to make any real money in that business without feeling like you're charging too much. Part of the problem is on a $100 radio a customer is not willing to spend $50 to fix/mod it. Which isn't even a tank of gas on a lot of vehicles anymore.

-Mike

I like Lou's. He's an old friend of mine going back at least 35 years. He's also got some interesting rigs there.

The guy who sent me to Nashua Communications was a large guy named Dave Wenzell from Methuen. Nicest guy you ever met. He and I became good buddies. He was excellent at mods for radios, but couldn't always get the "parts" that guys like Roger had. So, he sent me there for parts.

If any of you knew Dave, he also passed away a few years ago. One of my other buddies used to call him, "Bench Belly Dave" because of his habit of soldering stuff on his large stomach.

Lots of old timers..... so many memories...........

Worcester Radio and speedometer used to fix them. Used or even new ones are so cheap I doubt it is worth repairing one

Not true, depending on the radio you are having worked on. Obviously if it is some piece of s**t Kraco, yeah, not worth it.... but if we're talking a Phillipines-made Uniden Grant, PC76, Cobra 148, or Cobra 29.... all of those are worth their weight in gold, at least as far as CB radios go. Nobody makes radios like that anymore.

-Mike

Not true, depending on the radio you are having worked on. Obviously if it is some piece of s**t Kraco, yeah, not worth it.... but if we're talking a Phillipines-made Uniden Grant, PC76, Cobra 148, or Cobra 29.... all of those are worth their weight in gold, at least as far as CB radios go. Nobody makes radios like that anymore.

-Mike
I didn't think anyone really wants those radio's anymore...I guess if you are a collector or want them for keydowns an such,I have a couple of south pacific Cobras and a 2510.With what they are doing with 10meter exports you get far more radio for the buck,in a few weeks I will get a chance to play with the new Stryker 955hp ssb which looks fun.

-Mike

Cobras were nice radios. I have a box of old CB's somewhere from my repair days if my wife didnt toss them.

I would stay away from any Stryker with their MOSFET finals any sir probs. they blow and take all the others with them then try to get them fixed, stick with galaxy .

I'm running it for someone else,all I run is Galaxys...959 and 99v

check out this guy.

http://www.cbwizz.com/

Not exactly Metro West but...
I was down there a while back and he seemed real nice.

I've seen a "radio rebanding" sign on Rt 140 in shrewsbury near the UPS depot - google shows nothing though but maybe worth a swing in if you're in the area.

ETA: actually, here:
http://nicolecommawoo.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/radio-rebanding/

not sure if they do repairs

No that is for governmental agencies to bring the old radios to and they will be reprogrammed to new 700 mhz freqs and brought up to apco p.25 capability. The Shrewsbury site is very central close to rt 20 495 pike 140 and 122. Some of the agencies going there will be: DFS, MEMA, DCR, MSP, etc

Back
Top Bottom