• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to move?

Israel is far from being a constitutional carry.

@OP - come to S. Carolina. Not CO-Carry but still a new and refreshing world compare to the shithole MA. Come join me in the Greenville area where I'll be moving to in about 3 years. The climate and topography is very close to what you're looking for and I would love to have another Jew around :D

It's unfortunate that we can't invade and take over Northern CA. It really is the ideal temperature and weather combination...paradise f***ing exists. I've been there for conventions in february and its 70 degrees. It's actually been colder in June than February the times I've been there. The landscape is also incredible and there are lots of rural areas not far from SF. That said, the politics and cost of living are completely untenable. I had an informal offer to have a company move me there a few years ago and I was seriously considering it but the cost of living alone makes it impossible and unwise.

I'm not going through all your requirements, but some of the places I've visited in the last few years:

San Diego - Surprisingly doable, except for the politics and now the gun laws make it a complete no-go. Proximity to the border is a bit of a problem too. I don't care about people crossing so much, but the enforcement is definitely a problem.

Colorado - Nice, but the gun laws are starting to slip. They get winter, but there are massive temperature swings so its not like here. The first year my buddy was out there there was like 12 inches of snow one day and it was 75 the next. The landscape is amazing and you can certainly find amazing places to live away from cities. The transplants to denver are starting to really ruin things, though.

Detroit - Detroit is a f***ing awesome town. Its too bad people only see the negative. Their winters are way too insane, though. I think there's a lot of opportunity there in terms of making money on property, but there is risk too.

Phoenix - I thought I'd hate phoenix but I really liked it. That said, I went at the perfect time of year before the insane heat started. Law enforcement is f***ing bonkers there too. Lots of brand new housing at not unreasonable prices. The desert was actually awesome to me, I drove around a lot and loved it. I think Phoenix is death by a thousand cuts - nothing is horrible but there's too many small things wrong.

Philly and/or Rural PA - Meh. I wouldn't move there.

Kansas - LOL. Kansas has fields and white people. That's it. It's not unpleasant but there's nothing even remotely compelling or interesting about any aspect of it. I wouldn't even consider moving there. I don't think I could live in a state where the capital city is that underwhelming.

TN - Nashville was disappointing for how focused it is on people getting shitfaced and listening to horrible pop country, but otherwise it wasn't bad. Decent food. Nice people, but without being as phoney as some other southern states. I drove around a lot there too, but didn't make it to the smokeys. Seems like a not-terrible place to live. Don't think I could deal with the lack of ocean, but it wasn't bad.

SC and Georgia - The older I get the more I like the heat. I figured, I'm from MA, it gets humid there, there are hot days in the summer....yea, no. The heat/humidity there is on a whole nother level. If I'm going to deal with that, I'm moving to FL no question about it. We were in Hilton Head which was nice enough, but otherwise I wasn't all that impressed.

Baltimore - Nope. Forget the crime, I wouldn't even think of tolerating the surveillance down there. It's everywhere. Nice town but no way.

DC - Anywhere near Washington makes me sick. I'm going to be in Arlington VA in a few weeks and, unlike everywhere else I go, I'm going down, doing my work and immediately flying home. They're also such pussies when it does snow there and the traffic is retarded.

TX - I actually liked Dallas a lot. I would like to check out Houston and Austin. I think I could probably live there, but my wife really doesn't like the idea.

I'm desperate to get away from the winter and the fact that I'm so bored with the Northeast myself, but I just can't find anywhere to go. I'm seriously ready to move to FL but my wife isn't down with the insane humidity in summer. Maybe when we get older.

Radtekk, It's going to be tough to get everything you want all in one place. Climate and topography? Central California would be best but as we all know, it's a lost cause.

Consider Tennessee. Not con carry, but pretty cut and dry to get your CCW license. Central or eastern part of the state with a little altitude will abate the summer heat and humidity a little. No state income tax, low property tax, local gov not intrusive at all. Some great riding in East TN, such as Tail of the Dragon. You can avoid the kooks on that road and find many other nice ones in the general area. Tornadoes are a low risk in mountainous areas.

TN - Nashville was disappointing for how focused it is on people getting shitfaced and listening to horrible pop country, but otherwise it wasn't bad. Decent food. Nice people, but without being as phoney as some other southern states. I drove around a lot there too, but didn't make it to the smokeys. Seems like a not-terrible place to live. Don't think I could deal with the lack of ocean, but it wasn't bad.

Endus, you must have spent too much time around Broadway in downtown Nashville. There are many venues for a wide variety of music. Quite often you can spend an evening at a small, close venue and watch awesome performers who have been off the charts a long time but still absolutely kill it onstage. There are tons of the highest quality performers who make a living as session musicians, but you would never know their names unless you were in the industry. You don't have to dig very deep to find all of this, but you do have to dig a little.

Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Destin, etc. are all a half day's drive away. The Gulf Coast 'Redneck Riviera' is known for warm Caribbean water and sand as white as sugar. Added bonus that the locals feed obnoxious Jersey Shore-types to the sharks. Well, maybe they would if some of them ever showed up to that area.

Last edited:
Endus, you must have spent too much time around Broadway in downtown Nashville. There are many venues for a wide variety of music. Quite often you can spend an evening at a small, close venue and watch awesome performers who have been off the charts a long time but still absolutely kill it onstage. There are tons of the highest quality performers who make a living as session musicians, but you would never know their names unless you were in the industry. You don't have to dig very deep to find all of this, but you do have to dig a little.

Yea, I did try but I guess I just didn't make the right connections. I was also only there for a couple days.

We went to Pucketts the second night we were there and there was a really fantastic bluegrass band. I was pretty psyched to see more after that, but I just didn't find the right places. I did walk around Broadway one night and didn't go in anywhere because it was just too horrible. It was nice to walk around over by the river though.

Hot chicken didn't thrill me too much either. Had some good BBQ and regular fried chicken, though. There was a restaurant recommended to me that served family-style that was supposed to be unbelievable, but I just didn't have enough time to get there.

Prescott Az area, does not get super hot and very little snow which usually melts in a couple of days.

An other vote for Tennessee. Over this past winter I picked up some really nice acreage at 1800ft elevation in Northeastern corner of the state. 10 miles west of NC & 25miles south of VA. Will be talking to home builders this summer. Take a look at Johnson City area for work

Last edited:
An other vote for Tennessee. Over this past winter I picked up some really nice acreage at 1800ft elevation in Northeastern corner of the state. 10 miles west of NC & 25miles south of VA. Will be talking to home builders this summer. Take a look at Johnson City area for work
Tennessee Republicans that have killed pro gun bills. TFA - Rep. Faison's "special kind of stupid" commentary on the Legislature The part about the gun bills is further down in the article. It's a place I was thinking of too but nowhere is safe.

That post is WHY you send your kids to private school. :D

I had a meeting with a Thomson Reuters VP once. He said how he thought Buenos Aires in Brazil was a beautiful city, and I decided to not correct him...a few minutes later he asked me where in Argentina I was from. I said "Buenos Aires", his face was priceless, and I quickly changed the subject. Neither of us mentioned that again. [laugh]

Yea, I did try but I guess I just didn't make the right connections. I was also only there for a couple days.

We went to Pucketts the second night we were there and there was a really fantastic bluegrass band. I was pretty psyched to see more after that, but I just didn't find the right places. I did walk around Broadway one night and didn't go in anywhere because it was just too horrible. It was nice to walk around over by the river though.

Hot chicken didn't thrill me too much either. Had some good BBQ and regular fried chicken, though. There was a restaurant recommended to me that served family-style that was supposed to be unbelievable, but I just didn't have enough time to get there.

For a couple days, sounds like you did it right. Bluegrass Inn usually has some great bands, though sometimes they'll book a cheesy one. Robert's Western World sounds like a cheesy place, but more often than not they will have a great band. The Bluebird Cafe as well as 3rd and Linsley mostly book some great acts.

Pucketts was a regular stop for my morning bike (motorcycle) rides. It's not far from my old home and the Natchez Trace Parkway, part of the National Park system and a beautiful ride. A little slow- 50 mph max IIRC and you don't want to get caught going as fast as you really want to go. Two of my friends were issued huge fines and banned for life from the Parkway. They were asking for it... [laugh]

Radtekk, if you ride cruiser type bikes you'll love the Natchez Trace- it's perfect for cruising.

I hate recommending it, but western NC hits everything but Constitutional carry. Permit process is painless if you stay out of Buncombe County. I did some work for a neurosurgeon out toward Waynesville who runs a program at one of the hospitals in that area. Very, very 2A friendly guy. I could track down and pm you particulars if you want to try and reach out.

7 days until I move to NC!

For a couple days, sounds like you did it right. Bluegrass Inn usually has some great bands, though sometimes they'll book a cheesy one. Robert's Western World sounds like a cheesy place, but more often than not they will have a great band. The Bluebird Cafe as well as 3rd and Linsley mostly book some great acts.

Pucketts was a regular stop for my morning bike (motorcycle) rides. It's not far from my old home and the Natchez Trace Parkway, part of the National Park system and a beautiful ride. A little slow- 50 mph max IIRC and you don't want to get caught going as fast as you really want to go. Two of my friends were issued huge fines and banned for life from the Parkway. They were asking for it... [laugh]

Radtekk, if you ride cruiser type bikes you'll love the Natchez Trace- it's perfect for cruising.

Thanks man! I will write this down for next time. I think some colleagues are heading that way soon as well, so I'll point them in the right direction.

Yea, when I learned Puckett's was a chain I was skeptical, but I have nothing but good to say aobut it. Great food and music, nice place.

Back
Top Bottom