• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which 10mm competition grade handgun to choose

Glock needs to give their G20 the Gen5 MOS treatment to be taken seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I like my G20 and it is my carry in the woods gun, but they are way behind in updating this thing.

glock single-handedly kept 10mm auto alive for 20+ years when every other manufacturer abandoned the cartridge. the gen 4’s work extremely well so they’re in no hurry to get a G20.5 to market. It will likely happen but wouldn’t hold my breath.

glock single-handedly kept 10mm auto alive for 20+ years when every other manufacturer abandoned the cartridge. the gen 4’s work extremely well so they’re in no hurry to get a G20.5 to market. It will likely happen but wouldn’t hold my breath.
I have no doubt they're working on it. Even 40 got the gen5 treatment so I"m guessing the large frames are next.

Imho they slow rolling it because they don't want to f*** it up, and they know the people waiting have nowhere to go. G20/21 people are not going to sully themselves with a M&P or some other gun they didn't want.

I have both the Sig P220 Match Elite in 10MM and the Springfield 1911 TRP Operator Long Slide in 10MM. I shoot the P220 probably better than any of my other handguns. Not sure why, but it just works for me. I’ve a CZ97 in .45 ACP and the grip is just too big for me. I can shoot it, but not well. The Springfield is a nice gun, but it’s sort of just a typical “tacti-cooled” 1911.

No brainer

You need a 610. Runs 10mm and 10 spl.
Not really ideal for indoor pin shoots if you have so-so accuracy, you'll most likely punch holes through the back of the range or cause some sever structural damage.
Speed loading moon clips can be difficult, because you'll be swarmed by women (and maybe some dudes) because thats how things go in wheel gun lyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyfe!

Plus you reload, so you can play around with 220 gr heads instead of that wimpy 180 stuff.

I like my P220 Elite SAO.
I had two of them and I really regret selling them, one of the best 10's I've shot but it's a tank. I have a Ruger and Kimber but don't have enough rounds downrange with them to for an honest evaluation. The RIA I have is the one i have shot the most, the first one I had, the notch for the slide stop was off just a bit and the slide would never lock back, I sent it back to them and they sent me a complete replacement pistol. People knock RIA but their customer service is top notch, no they are not DW's or Wilson's but the one I have at least has been 100% since it was replaced. Glock just don't work for me, I gave up on them a long time ago.

Unfortunately, this issue is highly subjective. I also never enjoyed the G20. It was just “ok” and I shot it well but it was not enjoyable to shoot (too much force went into my grip hand in the recoil). I also have a number of Sigs and had a 220 years ago (in 45) and never shot it well. But you will find many others with the exact opposite experience. I much prefer the CZ/Tanfoglio design and the 1911/2011 design.

Unfortunately, this issue is highly subjective. I also never enjoyed the G20. It was just “ok” and I shot it well but it was not enjoyable to shoot (too much force went into my grip hand in the recoil). I also have a number of Sigs and had a 220 years ago (in 45) and never shot it well. But you will find many others with the exact opposite experience. I much prefer the CZ/Tanfoglio design and the 1911/2011 design.
i definitely going to take my time with this, will need to find time to shoot mike`s p10-s, and want to try out as much as i can before deciding between a DW/1911 path or CZ/Tanfoglio.

I had two of them and I really regret selling them, one of the best 10's I've shot but it's a tank. I have a Ruger and Kimber but don't have enough rounds downrange with them to for an honest evaluation. The RIA I have is the one i have shot the most, the first one I had, the notch for the slide stop was off just a bit and the slide would never lock back, I sent it back to them and they sent me a complete replacement pistol. People knock RIA but their customer service is top notch, no they are not DW's or Wilson's but the one I have at least has been 100% since it was replaced. Glock just don't work for me, I gave up on them a long time ago.
I bought the one I have from you!

I have a Delta Elite. It’s your basic Colt Series 80. I had the hammer and grip safety changed (I prefer a beaver tail grip safety). If you like 1911s then you’ll like it. If you don’t like 1911s…

No, it’s not as heavy as a Shadow 2 and it will have more felt recoil with full house 10mm loads. Years back when I went to AK, I brought my Delta Elite with Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast. 10mm isn’t 44 Mag but I shoot my Delta Elite better than my 44.

Last edited:
i definitely going to take my time with this, will need to find time to shoot mike`s p10-s, and want to try out as much as i can before deciding between a DW/1911 path or CZ/Tanfoglio.
You can also quite easily build a 1911 with a 5" and 6" slide to swap back and forth. Eg, Fusion Firearms. But the 1911 design is limited to 8 rounds. Pretty sure you can get an STI/Staccato 2011 in 10mm if you want high end with double stack capacity. Again, easier IMO to just get the IFG/Tanfoglio. Patriot Defense carries them I think.

Defiant_Stock_Master__44380.1576343933.jpg

You can also quite easily build a 1911 with a 5" and 6" slide to swap back and forth. Eg, Fusion Firearms. But the 1911 design is limited to 8 rounds. Pretty sure you can get an STI/Staccato 2011 in 10mm if you want high end with double stack capacity. Again, easier IMO to just get the IFG/Tanfoglio. Patriot Defense carries them I think.

View attachment 639786
that`s a nice one for sure, but i really want to find one of those - more i read of it more it seems to be, like, very close to what i would want, probably.
dunno, will need to give it some time, that whole idea needs to ripe and mature into something more definable.

1658256589756.png

I got the impression that QA isn’t great on Tanfos. A number of USPSA shooters use them but it is my impression that they sometimes need some fiddling, more than a CZ.

But I don’t have any direct experience so I guess I’m taking out of my …

Last edited:
I have a Defiant Stock Master and it is excellent out of the box. The trigger is certainly still not up to par with a Canjun-ized Shadow 2 or an Accu-shadow 2, but since the Shadow line isn't in 10mm the Tanfo is the closest we are going to get to a CZ design. I'm not a competition shooter anyway. And if I really want to make it perfect, I'd send it off to Patriot Defense for a complete trigger overhaul. Since I am lazy, I have not yet decided to do that. Finally, there is no comparison with a 1911 trigger although the enhanced Shadows get close. The 1911/2011 is always going to be super light.

Paul, there is a 6" Defiant Gold Match 10mm on GB for around $1450 and a Defiant Stock Match Stainless 5" for a little less.

I have a Sig Tacops 10mm you're welcome to try. It's an all steel full size 1911 and quite heavy. I like that it comes with 4 magazines but dislike that it throws empties 20 feet or more, making it hard to find them all.

I have a Sig Tacops 10mm you're welcome to try. It's an all steel full size 1911 and quite heavy. I like that it comes with 4 magazines but dislike that it throws empties 20 feet or more, making it hard to find them all.

Heavier spring would help that.

i really need to sort it out when i can intercept you and mike and try it all out. it is so hot outside now, i cannot make myself go to the range - got, like, 4 100rd boxes of rifle ammo setup, but, still waiting for cooler weather.

I didn't think Sig was making the Tacops anymore (in 45 or 10). The trigger (at least on the 45 I tried) needed a lot of work, which was disappointing for a Sig.

The OP doesn't like men. That is why.
6nc6bd.jpg

and to bring it closer to home - have anyone here had a chance to shoot this -

it is a DA/SA model, and costs a bit less, it seems, than other SA only they got. i am frankly not that crazy about SA only guns, and would prefer DA/SA.

or is it all just stupid games with that tanfo and a colt delta elite is truly the only answer? i would love to try those 2 side by side, but, it is probably not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom