• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which ammo for 1903 Springfield rifle?

With 50-53 grains of powder that fill the case right to the bottom of the seated bullet, I don't think it is even possible to over charge a 30.06 round with factory loaded military powder.
Highly dependent on burn rate of powder, no idea what other countries might use.

Yes, I think weak brass is the issue too.

A couple of grains over military load A. wouldn't fit in the case and B. wouldn't even approach military proof load pressures.
This seems to be the consensus with some of the Korean stuff

Yes, I think weak brass is the issue too.

A couple of grains over military load A. wouldn't fit in the case and B. wouldn't even approach military proof load pressures.
Its not chamber pressure that damages op rods.

Some Springfield 1903's below serial Number 800,000 were not heat treated properly which is what caused the failure in some of them. Rock Island had some problems with low numbers also, but I don't remember what the SN range was.

As for the OP's question on the ammo, any 30-06 can be used. The reason M1 Garand's have to use M1 specific ammo is it has a lower C.U.P. pressure. If there is too much pressure the op-rod can bend or break, and can be dangerous.
Its all about the burn rate of the powder.
to fast of a powder the receiver will let got before the pressure gets to the gas port,

Its not chamber pressure that damages op rods.

Yes, understood.....it's the impulse pressure, governed by the burn rate of the powder.

The South Korean military carried U.S. Garands and M1 carbines right up until the 1980's. I'd think they'd have a clue what they were loading for.

Its all about the burn rate of the powder.
to fast of a powder the receiver will let got before the pressure gets to the gas port,

Yes, but I think they've got better control over that.

It would almost have to be pistol powder burn rates to do that.

Last edited:
View attachment 507923

Tiny Boston, shared, apartment setup I had. Portable to be stowed away when not in use. Reloading can be done with very little space. But I can understand not wanting to hear a wife/significant other complain that you’re adding more “stuff” to the house. Somehow, tools are always just “stuff”/“crap”/“junk”.
Thats even a big set up, you could cut that space in half easy!

Yes, understood.....it's the impulse pressure, governed by the burn rate of the powder.

The South Korean military carried U.S. Garands and M1 carbines right up until the 1980's. I'd think they'd have a clue what they were loading for.
Until they decide to cut corners or rejected lots some how get out into circulation or dumped onto the international market?
Either way theres really no need to be shooting korean shit unless your already sitting on a good amount .
Any korean surplus even out there? Last I bought some was 50cpr from SOG god , 8-10 years ago

Saw a lot of talk about load data, but didn't see anyone mention the *NEW* CMP guidelines for ammo in the M1 and M1903:

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Until they decide to cut corners or rejected lots some how get out into circulation or dumped onto the international market?
Either way theres really no need to be shooting korean shit unless your already sitting on a good amount .

I've got a couple of cans of Korean stuff......1919 fodder.😊 Supposedly it's corrosive but I'll just soap and water clean and hit it with the garden hose.

Saw a lot of talk about load data, but didn't see anyone mention the *NEW* CMP guidelines for ammo in the M1 and M1903:

It gets even more confusing with CUP , PSI , and other forms of pressure testing
As ammunition manufactures are loading to specific Chamber Pressure limits.
Remington for example is not loading a 150gn ammo to anything over the “max” chamber pressure standards, as the same for a 220 gn bullet the Chamber pressure is still supposed to be with in spec.
Chamber pressures are controlled by burn rate for the most part.
Fast powders get up to pressure quickly in the chamber
Slow powders will be lower chamber pressures and more continuous gas expansion through out the “burn” of the powder

View attachment 507923

Tiny Boston, shared, apartment setup I had. Portable to be stowed away when not in use. Reloading can be done with very little space. But I can understand not wanting to hear a wife/significant other complain that you’re adding more “stuff” to the house. Somehow, tools are always just “stuff”/“crap”/“junk”.
Pappy,
That's a sweet-looking setup. That said, my "workbench" is a table in garage, mounted to the wall via hinged brackets, which folds flat against the wall when not in use. Having a reloading station inside the living space is completely and totally verboten .. I'm not even gonna suggest bringing a reloading station inside the house ... let's just say when it comes to my "much better than me better half", I know where my bread is buttered. And as previously stated, at least for the foreseeable future, I don't have the inclination for reloading.

Pappy,
That's a sweet-looking setup. That said, my "workbench" is a table in garage, mounted to the wall via hinged brackets, which folds flat against the wall when not in use. Having a reloading station inside the living space is completely and totally verboten .. I'm not even gonna suggest bringing a reloading station inside the house ... let's just say when it comes to my "much better than me better half", I know where my bread is buttered. And as previously stated, at least for the foreseeable future, I don't have the inclination for reloading.
I loaded on same style bench and also built a few M1s dozen or so ARs on the same fold away Ironing board style “bench”
Most of my presses are still mounted to the 12x12” 3/4” plywood I would clamp to any halfass stable platform I could find. Even the tailgate on my truck.
Fun times
Its easier to go back to
I do not want to ( not inclined) reload-
Its all fun

loaded on this same style set up when I was still living with mom. Im sure who ever bought that house was scratching their heads on what it was used for

View: https://youtu.be/04xVEi3K7hE

Last edited:
Mods .. I think we can consider this thread closed.
[rolleyes]
hqdefault.jpg

All,
Greetings and good day. I may have the opportunity to buy a 1903 Springfield rifle (1937 vintage, serial number 1,49x,xxx) from an estate sale. I know the Garand has to use specific ammo because of the pressures involved with the gas system. Does the 1903 Springer have the same sort of restriction? Thanks in advance.

Any commercial 30-06 is fine. Any surplus 30-06 from the US or Greece (HXP) is also fine. I would avoid any surplus from other countries unless you research it. But with the ones I've already listed as good, there's really no need to go with any other surplus.

Defense Dynamics at the mill in Littleton, was selling PPU for 70 cents a round . This was in March 21 .So it is around here and there .The days of buying it for 30 cents a round is long long gone .Like others have mentioned ,roll your own .Much more accurate .

I've got a couple of cans of Korean stuff......1919 fodder.😊 Supposedly it's corrosive but I'll just soap and water clean and hit it with the garden hose.
Be sure to check your Korean 30-06 lot numbers against those that are known to have surprise kabooms.

A guy next to me had one blow at an offhand match this winter. Thankfully his 1903 was OK. Oh yeah, we were ok too. [laugh]

Nothing new Pretty sure that warning came within the manual of my first M1 from the CMP

Nothing new Pretty sure that warning came within the manual of my first M1 from the CMP
When did you get your m1? The warning text is literally:

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

When did you get your m1? The warning text is literally:

Dear CMP Family,

Civilian Marksmanship Program
Years ago, I will try to remember to dig out one of the READ THIS FIRST manuals that come with any M1 from the cmp.

I think cmp put this out knowing the read this first just gets tossed aside

Back
Top Bottom