• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking for light weight, simple to use, compact to carry, and low maintenance.

Specify in comments if you HAVE whatever you voted for, or just what you SUGGEST as the answer.

Thanks.

S&W 442 wasn't an option so I voted for the 642, whis is basically the same gun in a different finish. I don't normally carry a revolver, but sometimes throwing the j-frame in my pocket is a good option for carrying a gun when I don't feel like carrying a gun.

I think any of the S&W or Ruger revolvers you have up there would be a good choice. Ruger does make an LCR in .327 Federal Magnum, which gives you six rounds instead of the 5 you'll get with the 38 or the 357, so that's something to consider.

The Ruger SP101 is a great option too, but not exactly "light weight".

Here's my choice if I didn't live in this commie hell hole! It's a f--king revolver and these @ssholes still have to f--k with us!!!! Lightweight, 6 rounds, .38/.357 mag and easily concealable.

Kimber K6s 3" DASA

1651962836015.png

Update: January 2023 - I found a lightly used K6s DASA 3” for sale from a fellow NES’r. Quite impressed with this revolver! At just over 25 oz., 6 round capacity and being fairly compact, it makes for a great CC revolver. Shoots great in both SA or DA and feels good in my hand with the slightly larger Kimber walnut target grips that provide a full 3 finger purchase on the grip. Currently CC’ing in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder kydex/leather lined IWB holster. I like this holster as it had a short lead time but it’s also tuckable which allows for CC with your shirt tucked in your pants. Waiting (30+) weeks for my Milt Sparks VM II as it’s my favorite holster and I much prefer leather over kydex.

Last edited:
Funny that you posted this now. I'm looking for a 642/442 myself. Just want something to toss in the pocket that won't cause my pants to fall down. I normally prefer stainless, but the 442 actually interests me more since it will be less visible. Love Model 60's and SP101's, but way too heavy for pocket carry. Didn't think about the 638, but now that you brought that up, I like the idea of DA/SA but "no snag". It's just hard to find one of the above right now that is reasonably priced without the "Hillary Hole". I want light this time, but not any of the "poly" ones.

Funny that you posted this now. I'm looking for a 642/442 myself. Just want something to toss in the pocket that won't cause my pants to fall down. I normally prefer stainless, but the 442 actually interests me more since it will be less visible. Love Model 60's and SP101's, but way too heavy for pocket carry. Didn't think about the 638, but now that you brought that up, I like the idea of DA/SA but "no snag". It's just hard to find one of the above right now that is reasonably priced without the "Hillary Hole". I want light this time, but not any of the "poly" ones.
I just listed my 442 in the classifieds.

I’m not a fan of the LCR, so I’d go with other. Either a Charter or Taurus would be my choice before a current smith.

I don’t actually have any current production guns I want. An old smith 36 with the hammer mounted firing pin would be my first choice.

Ruger LCR 38. It was priced right and it is great to toss in a pocket. I bought it thinking my wife may like it but I carry it far more than I thought I would.

I did change the factory front sight out for a tritium night sight. Not a lot of Snub nose revolvers have a replaceable front sight if that is a factor for you.

Bob

Is that the Black version of the 642?

Whenever these threads come up about the 642, I get excited.

Their semi autos are junk but I guess they still make good revolvers.

I want something for a jacket pocket because no Glock is that small.

Due to my increased belly, I'm going up to size 44 pants which allows for a G19.

I just really like the iconic 642.

I carry the 640-2 in an OWB crossdraw from Triple K. It also fits well in a jacket pocket or the front pocket of my Carhartts.
I also own a Ruger SP101. I like that it has a hammer so i can roll it to SA if i want to shoot a little more slowly. Because of the hammer, it doesn’t pocket ride as well.
They both shoot Remington Golden Sabres and Winchester Silvertips very well.

I carry a 442 with a trigger job done by Dave Santurri, can barely feel it’s there sometimes. Had a 340sc but sold it. Should have kept it so I had the option of shooting .357 mag. You live and learn though.

I owned a 638 and it was a beautiful gun. Obviously any snub is going to kick and that was certainly the case with mine (I would never want to shoot .357 out of a gun with a 2" barrel, but call me a wuss). I'd do 50rds at a time at the range and that would feel like more than enough. Personally, I'd steer clear from Charter Arms/Taurus unless money is the predominant factor. From what I've handled myself, the build quality, lock-up, and finishing are sub-par.

The steel j frame 357 shoots real nice too, mod 60? There's also a k frame 38 that I really like, 638 iirc. The new colt revolvers feel really nice too.

If you can shoot full power loads out of a scandium 357 without flinching you can then shoot anything smooth.

-sweet old lady voice in the gun range-
"Excuse me young man would you mind moving over one your muzzle blast is coming into my stall."

My advice is to get a ct laser grip and dry fire all day until the red dot doesn't dance around on the wall at trigger break.

I can make a baseball sized group fast at 10 yards. Grip strength is everything. You don't want that thing moving in your hands, will bruise your hands like when you hold a shotgun wrong.

Is that the Black version of the 642?

Whenever these threads come up about the 642, I get excited.

Their semi autos are junk but I guess they still make good revolvers.

I want something for a jacket pocket because no Glock is that small.

Due to my increased belly, I'm going up to size 44 pants which allows for a G19.

I just really like the iconic 642.

What model is that please?

340 PD

/thread

If you can shoot full power loads out of a scandium 357 without flinching you can then shoot anything smooth.

-sweet old lady voice in the gun range-
"Excuse me young man would you mind moving over one your muzzle blast is coming into my stall."

My advice is to get a ct laser grip and dry fire all day until the red dot doesn't dance around on the wall at trigger break.

I can make a baseball sized group fast at 10 yards. Grip strength is everything. You don't want that thing moving in your hands, will bruise your hands like when you hold a shotgun wrong.

Matte black scandium alloy frame; titanium alloy barrel.

Very nice gun but you're only popping off a couple .357 mags (@whatluck, hot loads, OUCH) per sitting. 😬

Have a GREAT SUNDAY guys!

Back
Top Bottom