Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Carry a 642 performance center daily in an iwb kydex holster with a leather backing. Had it so long I forget the brand name. Don't even know I have it on. I put 4 cylinders a week through it to keep my feel for the trigger. 20 feet I can put all 5 rounds in the black of an nra slow fire target as fast as I can. Highly recommend the 642.

I'm not a fan of light weight handguns. They kick hard for the power they have which makes adequate practice unpleasant. If you're determined to get a light weight revolver, look at .22magnum. A hit with a .22magnum is a lot better than a miss with a .38. Forget .357.

I'm not a fan of light weight handguns. They kick hard for the power they have which makes adequate practice unpleasant. If you're determined to get a light weight revolver, look at .22magnum. A hit with a .22magnum is a lot better than a miss with a .38. Forget .357.

I don't miss.....and it's certainly not an unpleasant gun to shoot......IMO of course.

I have never understood why some say a j frame hurts to shoot. I have my opinions as to why some say that but I'll keep that to myself......😂

Is that the Black version of the 642?

Whenever these threads come up about the 642, I get excited.

Their semi autos are junk but I guess they still make good revolvers.

I want something for a jacket pocket because no Glock is that small.

Due to my increased belly, I'm going up to size 44 pants which allows for a G19.

I just really like the iconic 642.
I also think the j frame is iconic. My grandfather carried one In the back left pocket of his trousers everywhere. Would wear a mark in his dickies work pants and eventually make a hole where the cylinder sat. Nana would put a patch on it and he'd keep wearing em. They were a working man's gun too.

Funny that you posted this now. I'm looking for a 642/442 myself. Just want something to toss in the pocket that won't cause my pants to fall down. I normally prefer stainless, but the 442 actually interests me more since it will be less visible. Love Model 60's and SP101's, but way too heavy for pocket carry. Didn't think about the 638, but now that you brought that up, I like the idea of DA/SA but "no snag". It's just hard to find one of the above right now that is reasonably priced without the "Hillary Hole". I want light this time, but not any of the "poly" ones.
What exactly is the "Hillary Hole", and why is it bad? How can it be avoided?

I’m not a fan of the LCR, so I’d go with other. Either a Charter or Taurus would be my choice before a current smith.
Why?

S&W 340 PD.

This. I've shot other lightweight ones that are mentioned above but none of them compare in my opinion.
Ruger should do like S&W, and come out with an alloy framed 101! It would be a sure winner.

Matte black scandium alloy frame; titanium alloy barrel.

Very nice gun but you're only popping off a couple .357 mags (@whatluck, hot loads, OUCH) per sitting. 😬

Have a GREAT SUNDAY guys!
I have PD 360 listed, but not PD 340. Not sure how I missed this. What is the difference? Not sure if that fiber sight sticks out a bit too much.

Still unsure of all the differences here. Also unsure of whether having a hammer for single action shots is worth it versus chances of snagging or clogging with lint and other junk. Please weigh in why or why not.

I also think the j frame is iconic. My grandfather carried one In the back left pocket of his trousers everywhere. Would wear a mark in his dickies work pants and eventually make a hole where the cylinder sat. Nana would put a patch on it and he'd keep wearing em. They were a working man's gun too.
Right. Nice.

With the newer ones being mostly alloy or titanium, there is less chance of rust or corrosion. I'm not worried about the extra kick due to light weight. This is something to carry, not shoot at the range every week or every month. Just a couple "tuneup" shots once in a while to keep up with it, then just have it handy all the time.

ANOTHER QUESTION WHILE HERE:
What is a good pocket holster for one of these? R&R guy had one, but it had this extra flap I was not too crazy about. Small, compact, light, functional is the name of the game here.
Thank you.

Why?

Ruger should do like S&W, and come out with an alloy framed 101! It would be a sure winner.

I have PD 360 listed, but not PD 340. Not sure how I missed this. What is the difference? Not sure if that fiber sight sticks out a bit too much.

Still unsure of all the differences here. Also unsure of whether having a hammer for single action shots is worth it versus chances of snagging or clogging with lint and other junk. Please weigh in why or why not.
The Hilary hole is the lock that Smith started putting on all revolvers when slick willy and Hillary the horrible were in the white house. The hole is just above the cylinder latch and the guns come with a key to lock or unlock the action. There was worry by the worry worts in the gun community back then (and some are still hanging on) that recoil would lock the gun when you really needed it. I have 2 Smith guns with Hillary holes.....shoot them alot........and by alot I mean ALOT not 2 times a month like most gun owners think is alot.......I shoot a few times a week.....and my s and w revolvers have never locked on me and I shoot alot of hot loads.

garretcorrected-4-957x1024.jpg

Why?

"Hillary Hole" - the hole in the side of the S&W sideplate for a lock. There were rumors of very light firearms firing heavy loads causing the "lock" to become engaged. The lock can be removed, but then that leaves a hole in the side of the revolver for "gunk" to get into.

Sadly, since Ruger has jumped on the polymer bandwagon with it's LCR, they will probably not "go back" and create an alloy-framed revolver. It took a long time for me to accept polymer pistols, and I will never accept them in the revolver or AR platform.

360 has a hammer; 340 is concealed hammer.

Anything other than Taurus or the other low end guns.
When and if you ever need it, you should be 100 percent confident it will work.
I'll probably never go skydiving but if I do I want the best parachute made, not the cheapest.

Anything other than Taurus or the other low end guns.
When and if you ever need it, you should be 100 percent confident it will work.
I'll probably never go skydiving but if I do I want the best parachute made, not the cheapest.
I agree. Seen many people at the club fumbling with charter arms revolvers.....cylinder latch popping off......front sights coming off.....you get what u pay for.

6fds24.jpg

The Hillary Hole is the stupid little safety thing that's partly buried under the latch release. It's a sign of a modern, useless mindset that claims revolvers are unsafe without extra safeties. You avoid it by getting a Smith made before the Clinton era.

Only you can decide whether you're likely to want the ability to easily fire SA, since that's the main function of the exposed hammer. I've carried revolvers for years and Smiths don't get "clogged with lint and other junk," mostly because they're made well... but then again, all of mine were made awhile ago.

The snagging is a legit concern for some people. I don't worry about it. Many do. Again, these are things you'll have to decide for yourself. I'd head over to MFS or something and try a few, including drawing (if they'll let you).

Still go with my LCR in .327 Fed. Mag. Six shots instead of five. Can practice with light .32 S&W Long and carry either .32 H&R Magnum or heavy .327 Fed. Mag. that match .357 Mag. in power. S&W has acknowledged the advantages of the .327 Fed. Mag. with their introduction of the .30 Super carry, which is pretty much a rimless .327. Down side vis-a-vis .357 Mag. is that it’s harder to find ammo for it since almost no one besides me likes it.

I don’t like the look or feel of the LCR.

I had issues with Smith autos. Their service department was neither helpful or honest. I honestly haven’t heard anything bad about their new revolvers, but I’d sooner trust drinks with Bill Cosby than one of their guns.
Also, I freaking hate the frame mounted firing pin. It makes me insane. I won’t buy one with it knowing hammer mounted firing pins exist.
Smith not doing this, and adding the Hillary hole to its “Classic” series just passed me off. Don’t say you’re bringing back an old favorite and bastardize it to be modern. It’s be like Ithaca making a “Classic” M37 without slam fire and with side ejection.

With the newer ones being mostly alloy or titanium, there is less chance of rust or corrosion. I'm not worried about the extra kick due to light weight. This is something to carry, not shoot at the range every week or every month. Just a couple "tuneup" shots once in a while to keep up with it, then just have it handy all the time.

BINGO!

No snag, light, goes BANG, EVERY TIME...

(inside left ankle, you'll forget it is there) ;)

Still go with my LCR in .327 Fed. Mag. Six shots instead of five. Can practice with light .32 S&W Long and carry either .32 H&R Magnum or heavy .327 Fed. Mag. that match .357 Mag. in power. S&W has acknowledged the advantages of the .327 Fed. Mag. with their introduction of the .30 Super carry, which is pretty much a rimless .327. Down side vis-a-vis .357 Mag. is that it’s harder to find ammo for it since almost no one besides me likes it.
Do you realize you basically just said 30 super carry is as powerful as 357 mag with this statement? If so I hope you know that's not even remotely close to true.

I suggest at least trying a LCR- the triggers are very good. 38 spl in the 357 LCR is nice shooting.

I know Charter has a bad rep but I picked up a new Undercover a few years ago and it's been flawless.

Attachments

• 1708169_JMFP.jpg
    1708169_JMFP.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3
Do you realize you basically just said 30 super carry is as powerful as 357 mag with this statement? If so I hope you know that's not even remotely close to true.
I mostly added the .30 Super Carry comment for rhetorical effect. One reviewer at Shooting Illustrated did just call the .30 Super Carry a rimless .327 Fed. Mag.

A hot load in the .327 Federal (100 gr at 1,655 fps giving a ME of 640 ft lbs) will put you in .357 Mag. territory, but it is also just as unpleasant to shoot in a light snubby. The .30 Supper Carry actually tops out at about the same as a light .327 load, both around 430-440 ft lbs of ME. So while there is some overlap with the top end Super Carry and the bottom end .327, there is basically no overlap between the Super Carry and the .357 (the .357 Golden Saber does only give you 413 ft lbs of ME, which is down around the upper limit of .30 Super, but that is an outlier).

Sorry if my post read to imply the .30 Super Carry was equal to the .357 Mag. I agree that that is definitely not the case. Even saying the .327 is as powerful as a .357 is only true for some specific hot loads of the .327.

I have and voted for a LCR 357. I shoot it well and like the trigger. I sock my hand pretty high on the rear but it is stout with full power 357. I carry it with 38spl HST Micro.

Back
Top Bottom