Which current production revolver for carry?

Which current production revolver for carry?

• S&W 638

• S&W 642

• S&W 360 PD

• Ruger LCR 357

• Ruger LCR 38

• Other (Charter, Taurus, ...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't carry a S&W 340PD any more because it's just too difficult to keep on target. Your mileage may vary. If it's a backup gun then yeah it's fine, but for primary carry I'm done with snubbies. If I wanted to try a new snubbie as a carry gun I would pick something else other than the 340PD. It's nice, it's crazy super light, but that's it.

I once shot a friend's smith .44 special k frame with a 2"? barrel, ported, melted, trigger job, big dot front sight, and hammer spur removed to make it DAO. great gun, shot really well, nice slow recoil impulse and a hair more power than .45acp with a heavier projectile. Guy loaded iirc 255gr hollow points to just barely subsonic.

It looks like the 642 is by far the more/most popular model. Obviously, it has the no-snag capability. I would think having a hammer to cock, for single action only might be a good thing, especially if a coyote is harassing in the woods, etc.. Is there an issue with this hammer getting full of dirt and gunk?

Also, about the lock. I see on Smith and Wesson 642 Review that it says "Both versions are produced at this time.". So, is it possible to buy a new from the factory version of these revolvers without the lock? In Massachusetts?

I'd like to hear opinions on silver versus black. For a while, I was thinking silver=stainless, but then remembered they are alloy either way, ha ha. So, is black less noticeable? Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks again, everyone.

It looks like the 642 is by far the more/most popular model. Obviously, it has the no-snag capability. I would think having a hammer to cock, for single action only might be a good thing, especially if a coyote is harassing in the woods, etc.. Is there an issue with this hammer getting full of dirt and gunk?

Also, about the lock. I see on Smith and Wesson 642 Review that it says "Both versions are produced at this time.". So, is it possible to buy a new from the factory version of these revolvers without the lock? In Massachusetts?

I'd like to hear opinions on silver versus black. For a while, I was thinking silver=stainless, but then remembered they are alloy either way, ha ha. So, is black less noticeable? Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks again, everyone.
Smith’s website says that the 642, no internal lock is MA compliant SKU 103810. So is the no lock version of the 442 SKU 150544.

Which model Kimber comes in at 14 oz. and $500?

Wait, i thought everyone was shitting on these scandium revolvers?
No way. These seem to be the cat's meow!

Need something with the spur on the hammer
J-frame is a bit too small. Can't get a grip on it.
Here's a start (I just googled them):

Amazon product ASIN B000KOVCFIView: https://smile.amazon.com/Hogue-60000-Frame-Rubber-Monogrip/dp/B000KOVCFI

Which model Kimber comes in at 14 oz. and $500?

No way. These seem to be the cat's meow!
Where did you state a weight or price requirement? The 360pd is more expensive than a K6S, and in my experience with both not anywhere close in terms of quality.

Lol on scandium! Owned a pair of scandium J-frames (you would have thought I learned my lesson the first time) They have to be the most stupid firearm I’ve ever owned.

A J frame is silly for $500. It’s a $350 gun in dire need of a trigger job with a front sight that’s part of the barrel. It’s literally a throw away firearm, and very well suited as such.

I have a lot of rounds through j-frames, at least 3000 rounds through one of them, and way more than most people would ever consider putting through a small revolver. Most won’t find them fun or easy to shoot, many can’t hit the broadside of a barn with them. My Kimber K6s is 10x the firearm. It is heavier, it is a bit more expensive, but anyone that actually puts rounds through their firearms knows that the price of the gun pales in comparison to the ammo cost.

Last edited:
Just looked at the Kimber K6S. It looks very nice. Too heavy for pocket carry. Walking the dog around the block this summer with that in my pocket, and my shorts would be down to my ankles.

Hopefully, they will come out with an alloy frame at least. If they could do that and keep costs the same, it might be a strong contender for me.

Wait, i thought everyone was shitting on these scandium revolvers?
those big bore .44 mag & .357 scanduims are pretty hard to shoot. well, the first shot is easy, it's trying to recover for a reasonably placed quick 2nd shot is the killer. in .38 sp...pretty manageable. but too much money for what you're getting, a little revolver basically.

Lol on scandium! Owned a pair of scandium J-frames (you would have thought I learned my lesson the first time) They have to be the most stupid firearm I’ve ever owned.
How so?

A J frame is silly for $500. It’s a $350 gun in dire need of a trigger job with a front sight that’s part of the barrel. It’s literally a throw away firearm, and very well suited as such.
A lot of people would beg to differ on that.

Still trying to decide on regular hammer, hidden hammer, or shrouded hammer. Black or silver, which sticks out or hides better?

A scandium j-frame is a $1000 gun that very few people can actually shoot well, and even few actually want to shoot. The extra few ounces aren't worth double the price or the abuse. I wanted to love those guns, I didn't.

A lot of people would beg to differ on that.

Still trying to decide on regular hammer, hidden hammer, or shrouded hammer. Black or silver, which sticks out or hides better?
I put probably 3500 rounds through my last j-frame - it was a decent gun, no arguments there. Personally, it's not a gun I would pay $500+ for as its not exactly a high quality piece.

I have owned a 638, 637, and the 642. The 638 was the second gun I ever bought, and was ok. Sold it because I wanted something different. The 637 had a slightly bent ejector rod from the factory and a decent cant to the front sight. It was an impulse buy, and I traded it for the 340PD. The 642 was the most comfortable in the pocket and the best shooter. I shot the crap and carried the hell out of it.

642 here. Winter carry if I carry it at all,mostly in pockets. Fits nice in my Carhartt vest. I have a Galco IWB and a Galco ankle holster but rarely use them. Also have a Blackhawk Speed Classic OWB that I find tucks in as good as or better than the IWB and much more comfortable. Ankle carry is very comfortable too. I pocket carry primarily and I can’t get used to the width of the cylinder. Despite the fact that I don’t carry it much I’ll manage to fire off about 20 rounds at the range as it’s fun to shoot, and what’s not to love about a snubbie? Also…38 special because it’s enough.
BuffaloBore SWCLHP +P. One good thing about a snub. They’re intimidating as hell when they are pointed at someone. Maybe because you can see the rounds.7B471DE4-1442-4996-96BF-7CC105B10460.jpeg

The Hilary hole is the lock that Smith started putting on all revolvers when slick willy and Hillary the horrible were in the white house. The hole is just above the cylinder latch and the guns come with a key to lock or unlock the action. There was worry by the worry worts in the gun community back then (and some are still hanging on) that recoil would lock the gun when you really needed it. I have 2 Smith guns with Hillary holes.....shoot them alot........and by alot I mean ALOT not 2 times a month like most gun owners think is alot.......I shoot a few times a week.....and my s and w revolvers have never locked on me and I shoot alot of hot loads.

View attachment 613587

Smith’s website says that the 642, no internal lock is MA compliant SKU 103810. So is the no lock version of the 442 SKU 150544.
So the one with the hole is not "required" in MA then?

anyone that actually puts rounds through their firearms
As you probably read here, most people are not buying these for tons of shooting, but for concealed or discreet carry.

642 here. Winter carry if I carry it at all,mostly in pockets. Fits nice in my Carhartt vest. I have a Galco IWB and a Galco ankle holster but rarely use them. Also have a Blackhawk Speed Classic OWB that I find tucks in as good as or better than the IWB and much more comfortable. Ankle carry is very comfortable too. I pocket carry primarily and I can’t get used to the width of the cylinder. Despite the fact that I don’t carry it much I’ll manage to fire off about 20 rounds at the range as it’s fun to shoot, and what’s not to love about a snubbie? Also…38 special because it’s enough.
BuffaloBore SWCLHP +P. One good thing about a snub. They’re intimidating as hell when they are pointed at someone. Maybe because you can see the rounds.View attachment 667858
A couple nice photos here! @Sterg @whacko

Revolvers are not the best defensive/Carry options out there. They’re awesome, but just not the best edc guns based on science and shit!

As you probably read here, most people are not buying these for tons of shooting, but for concealed or discreet carry.

Well, as you can tell I subscribe to a philosophy of “if I’m gonna carry, I’m going to shoot it a lot” No idea what others think or do, but if you aren’t shooting it regularly it’s doubtful you a very proficient.

Also, wasn’t this post from like 6 months ago?

Model 60. Lightweight revolvers like the 642 hurt too much to shoot — you won’t practice enough to be proficient. Yes, I’ve had a 642 and a 60.

Yes, the 60 isn’t light. That’s because lightweight revolvers suck.

Last edited:
No and no. Having competed in IDPA in stock service revolver it was my experience that single action was too slow and just pointless.

No, there Is no problem with the 642 getting full of gunk. You are worrying over nothing. If it does get gunk in it somehow just get out some good screwdrivers and take it apart — it isn’t hard. Yes, I owned a 642.

Last edited:
Not talking about a quick-draw. Talking about something entirely different.
1) IDPA is not a quick draw competition. It is a defensive use competition. It is about shooting accurately under stress.

2) Defensive use of a handgun is also a competition, one between you and your adversary.

3) I’ve a lot of experience to back up my opinion, with a thousand rounds through lightweight revolvers I will tell you that they completely suck at anything other than carrying.

I also have experience trying to shoot a revolver single action under stress, which apparently you do not. As I told you before, you are better off learning how to shoot double action.

As for your idea that you would be able to cock a lightweight snub nose revolver for an accurate single action shot at a coyote, your logic is laughable. Most of these revolvers have a very small front sight. The rear sight is nothing more than a narrow gutter in the top strap. You are not going to make an accurate shot beyond 20’ unless you are very, very good.

There are folks who can shoot a snub nose accurately. You aren’t one of those folks.

If you want a 642, buy one. I will tell you now that it will need a trigger job. Even after a trigger job it will be very hard to shoot well. It will also be uncomfortable to shoot unless you put larger grips on it.

The no-lock S&W Airweights are 442-1 and 642-1. I have the latter, and it's ok for pocket carry if your pockets are deep enough to conceal it. Shooting it is another story. With XXL paws I can barely get two fingers on the grip. Larger grips are harder to conceal. My ancient all-steel Model 36 has a square butt, a better fit, but a heavier gun and again, harder to hide in a pocket. Works well in a belt holster, but the OP asked about pocket carry. Speaking of holsters, I highly recommend a pocket holster that stays in the pocket when drawing, and nothing else in that pocket like car keys or coins.

I guess that was understood. So, starting here I guess, if you missed where it was implied.

Only thing lighter I can think of is plastic like used on the Rugers.

Not talking about a quick-draw competition. Talking about something entirely different.

You know, I blame myself for this… How dumb am I to get sucked into a conversation where the guy asking the questions doesn’t actually want advice from people that have owned, have shot, and actually know a thing.

I hope over the next 10-15 years you find what you’re looking for. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom