• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Kel Tec Sub 2000????

Ok I have been eyeing these things for a while. They just seem like the perfect SHTF gun.

Two options; Glock mag version or Multi mag version (beretta, S&W, Sig)

I have both a G19 and a Beretta 92A1, both have preban mags.

Leaning toward the G19 version because I could always get a 33rd mag but the other version is convertible to many different mags.

Thoughts..

Glock version all the way.

I'm going to put one on layaway at my local gunshop in a couple of weeks. Already have a pile of the Glock 9mm 33rd mags so its a no brainer for me.

If I got a Glock version it would be the G19 (in order to also use G17 mags).

But the multi-mag version looks interesting.

I have had the one for Beretta mags and the issue I had was you can actually push the mag in too far. The mag base does not hit flush on the grip but rather is held in the proper position by the mag release tab. The Glock version I tried the mag seemed to seat properly with the grip.

I handled one a couple of months ago, and I wasn't impressed. It was short money, and frankly it felt like it.

Ruger just came out with a 9mm carbine that comes with a conversion to Glock mags. Charging handle and mag release can be moved to the other side. It's a take down model, so it can be packaged up in a fairly small container if that's a concern. Accurate, solidly made. Suggested retail is 629, street price well below that. Ruger® PC Carbine™ * Autoloading Rifle Models Rumored to be coming out in .45 soon.

You might take a look at that first.

I love my Glock 19 version. Its been my go-to range toy for over a year now, the things awesome to shoot and surprisingly accurate. I have handled the Glock 17 version and I could see the larger grip being a benefit to someone with large hands.

Never had an interest in a Sub2000 but the multi mag version look pretty cool. 92FS, CZ75, and P226 prebans are not hard to come by and are way cheaper than Glock prebans.

I bought one 2 weeks ago and for $400 am super happy with it (thanks RJM95). I got the G19 version just because I can run 17 mags too and glock mags are known to be very reliable.

How long has the multi mag version been out? I am wondering if the system of using different inserts for different mags may possibly end up being a weak point.

I've had several and hated the Glock19 version. It's a two finger grip with your pinky swinging free.

I did a grip swap on it to the Beretta grips which took only a couple of hours not including how long it took to find the sear spring after it went flying.

Then of course I sold it.

I PM'd RJM95 last night to buy one of the ones he posted so that will replace it.

How long has the multi mag version been out? I am wondering if the system of using different inserts for different mags may possibly end up being a weak point.

It's been out for years now so I think it's fine. I read the Kel Tec forum KTOG and watch every video I can find on them and I haven't seen people having issues. The newest one, the Gen 2 revision B has been changed so it can accept P320 mags and has a new locking collar too.

I have the .40 gen 2. Fun to shoot and also have G27 gen 2.5. Nice combo. I also put folding base for red dot. Folds up and fits in a computer bag.

I handled one a couple of months ago, and I wasn't impressed. It was short money, and frankly it felt like it.

Ruger just came out with a 9mm carbine that comes with a conversion to Glock mags. Charging handle and mag release can be moved to the other side. It's a take down model, so it can be packaged up in a fairly small container if that's a concern. Accurate, solidly made. Suggested retail is 629, street price well below that. Ruger® PC Carbine™ * Autoloading Rifle Models Rumored to be coming out in .45 soon.

You might take a look at that first.

That looks like a really nice rifle. A bit funny looking with the small mag hanging out, but looks quality, and also like the takedown feature. Looks like a model that only accepts 10 rd mags? Will that be sold only in MA, or could you get the 17 rd rifle and just put 10 rd mags in?

Just picked up the G19 version in black yesterday. That bronze one in the classifieds looks pretty sweet.
For me it was easy, my primary carry is a G19.

Yeah, I like the reliability factor of Glock Mags. Already PM'd RJM95 about the burnt bronze one.
As for the PC carbine I will agree it is probably a better quality product. But I don't like the takedown with Two seperate pieces Barrel & receiver. I really like the fold up on the keltec.

Just for kicks, look at the Keltec SU16. Several different versions, mine has a stock and trigger group that folds up into the mag well. Comes with 2 10 round mags that store in the stock, accepts standard 20, 30 and 40 round AR magazines. Yes, it's a 223 caliber, but NOT an AR. Folded up it takes about the same amount of space as the sub2k. We keep ours in a Hazard4 bag with a couple of spare magazines and a Shield 9. Locked with a cable lock on the zippers and stashed in a closet, it's a "grab-and-go" pistol and rifle in 5 seconds. The forearm folds down to a cheesy tripod. Cheesy, but effective.

OP (or anyone else interested) is welcome to try it at my range (Westford) any time.

Ok I have been eyeing these things for a while. They just seem like the perfect SHTF gun.

Two options; Glock mag version or Multi mag version (beretta, S&W, Sig)

I have both a G19 and a Beretta 92A1, both have preban mags.

Leaning toward the G19 version because I could always get a 33rd mag but the other version is convertible to many different mags.

Thoughts..

The blue one!

Have you tried one? The G19 version grip is too short for me. I think the G17 version's grip should be better, but haven't tried it.

That looks like a really nice rifle. A bit funny looking with the small mag hanging out, but looks quality, and also like the takedown feature. Looks like a model that only accepts 10 rd mags? Will that be sold only in MA, or could you get the 17 rd rifle and just put 10 rd mags in?

There's a G19 and G17 version, and the grip's a bit longer on the G17 version.

Can always get a pinky extender for the base plate

The regular Pearce grip extension wasn't enough so I got the XL one that doesn't increase the capacity and for the front of the grip it was perfect but the back of the grip still only came a little over half way down my palm. I think if I'd given it time I'd have liked it.

I’ve been eyeing these for a couple of years but just can’t get past all the complaints about keltec. Sounds like it’s really either love em or hate em/they work great or they don’t work at all.

I think with the army switching out all its Berettas you’ll see a whole lot of 15rd beretta mags for sale here (in the US) shortly. Something to think about as Glock mags are going for 3-4x what they’re worth in MA.

I have the .40 gen 2. Fun to shoot and also have G27 gen 2.5. Nice combo. I also put folding base for red dot. Folds up and fits in a computer bag.

Which base did you purchase, set up for the RDS?
I was just researching some last night on YouTube.

Last edited:

If you're asking about the Ruger, the length of the mag doesn't matter. So, I removed the ruger magazine setup, slipped in the glock conversion that came with it, and it takes the mags that I run in my G17/G34. Which could be 10, 17, 20, 23 or 30 depending upon where I am.

Never had an interest in a Sub2000 but the multi mag version look pretty cool. 92FS, CZ75, and P226 prebans are not hard to come by and are way cheaper than Glock prebans.

Where are you finding CZ pre-bans? Got a few off of GunBroker, but haven't been easy to find for me (at least at a reasonable price). Plus you need to modify the mags in order to use extended basepads.

If you want a 9mm carbine the new Ruger takedown PC carbine is a very good deal. Waaay better built than the Kel Tec, although a lot bigger and heaver as well. Some people have reported trouble with reliability of ejection on some of the Rugers though.

Back
Top Bottom