Votes: 65 74.7%
  • 2. Colt

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • 3. Neither. I hate revolvers.

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Just got back from the range with these two revolvers and they are basically the same gun. They are a Colt Trooper MK III and a S&W Model 66 (non-lock). They feel the same, they shoot the same (accurate) and they are basically the exact same size. There are a few nuances, but overall the only different is the push/pull to get the cylinder to open and one is Nickle and one is Stainless. You can tell the manufacturers were in very close competition.

Just wondering. Out of the two, which do you prefer and why.

IMG_2446.jpg

My buddy carried the Colt when he first got on MSP in the early 80’s. I thought that Colt was a pure POS when we’d go to the range for his practice qualifying for Mag loads.
My 66 shined by comparison.

Of those two, I find the S&W cylinder easier to operate lefty. Not quite as easy as a GP-100, but not bad. I'd also give S&W the imaginary edge for the local industry thing, while Colt gets an imaginary minus for not doing a lot of work in new commercial firearms. Maybe that'll turn around under CZ.

I was trying to post a picture of a GP100, because I'm a [troll] but I'm also bad at phones, (accidentally) deleted it and gave up.
The Match Champion except for the billboard is a pretty gun. Service Sixes have a soft spot in my heart too.

I think the Colt above is the more aesthetically pleasing gun even though the Smith probably is better engineered.

BUT MUH 30/30!!!!!

Never shot a colt. Purchase price has always driven me away.
Smiths kinda grew on me. Not the best out of the box but its where I learned to gut the things and get it to where I want it, so now its a little easier to do.

Back
Top Bottom