Which modern subcompact carry gun?

Been around a long while, seen plenty of guns.

A LOT has changed, and frankly, I haven't really paid full attention.

My baselines are a Kahr PMK9 or a Keltec P3AT for size and weight. The first was more for quality and accuracy, and the latter more for total small&functional.

Now, there are so many choices, such as Glock, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, S&W, H&K, and many many others. There are also single stacks, and decent .40's and 45's, where before it was more .380's and 9mm's. Also, a lot of "1911 style" ones, such as the Sig 938 and Springfield EMP.

So, looking for small/reliable/and probably 9mm or above, most likely SA/DA and plastic. What's good, and what to avoid (and why)?

You should look at the SigP365. For size/caliber/capacity/shootability it's hard to beat.

Springfield Hellcat too, if you're in a Free State.

I traded in my P238 for a P938 for a P365. for pure shootability in a tiny gun you cannot beat the P238 (.380), it's like throwing darts. I'm not a fan of the Sig micro "1911" style concept mostly because they're not really much like a 1911 since they only have one flimsy manual Safety w/ a cocked hammer SAO. No way I'd ever carry the 238/938 AIWB and while they shot well, they always made me a little nervous. With the advent of the 365, I don't know why anyone would sacrifice & carry the 938 unless they already had one and didn't want to buy another gun. If it's between buying the 938 & 365, it's not even a debate, there is zero reason to buy a 938 now.

You should look at the SigP365. For size/caliber/capacity/shootability it's hard to beat.

I traded in my P238 for a P938 for a P365. for pure shootability in a tiny gun you cannot beat the P238 (.380), it's like throwing darts. I'm not a fan of the Sig micro "1911" style concept mostly because they're not really much like a 1911 since they only have one flimsy manual Safety w/ a cocked hammer SAO. No way I'd ever carry the 238/938 AIWB and while they shot well, they always made me a little nervous. With the advent of the 365, I don't know why anyone would sacrifice & carry the 938 unless they already had one and didn't want to buy another gun. If it's between buying the 938 & 365, it's not even a debate, there is zero reason to buy a 938 now.

This.

Frank

I guess nobody is going to trade their 365 for my 938? Lol.

The only gripe I have about the 938 is when ejecting the magazine a bullet always gets stuck and stays in the magwell. Then obviously one is left in the chamber, so you’ve got 2 loose bullets to fumble with before you can put the thing down with the action cleared and mag ejected. I’ve read multiple threads on multiple forums that people all have this problem. Shooting it: no issues. Carrying, fine. But if I had a jam of some kind in a tight situation and this happened with bullets slipping all over I would be pissed off, and probably worse.

Last edited:
There's a a lot of choices nowadays. 43x and 365 a good choices. I hated the 26 it's a good gun but did not fit well in my hands. I put 50 rounds through it and sold it. If you would consider 380 I really like the 911. I think they might even make a 9 mm version now.

Glock 43X.

Staggered stack, so not as slim a grip as the 43, nor as blocky as the 19.
Factory mag is 10.
Shield Arms mag holds 15.

If you go to the metal Shield Arms mag, go to a metal mag release, Tyrant Design makes a beautiful one.

I’m going to go all in and say Glock 45. You’ve got the small Glock 19 slide and that means you have a bunch of holster options. Then you’ve got double stack magazines in your Glock 17 frame and can get your hands on it no problem. Then all you have to do is talk yourself out of customizing it because it will be tempting and mail it to Smyrna to have Glock install night sights and you’re done. You’ve got a great concealed carry with the versatility of a full-sized, commanding 9mm.

Not the elevated heart rate I was thinking

That was 2018-me and I just got my LTC! I thought I was simulating the stress from an active-shooter situation and I had a Bodyguard 380 that I was putting 400 rounds through in a range session. Don’t be like 2018-me!

Been wanting to upgrade my "dart thrower" for a P365 for a while but other things keep getting in my way!

Been around a long while, seen plenty of guns.

A LOT has changed, and frankly, I haven't really paid full attention.

My baselines are a Kahr PMK9 or a Keltec P3AT for size and weight. The first was more for quality and accuracy, and the latter more for total small&functional.

Now, there are so many choices, such as Glock, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, S&W, H&K, and many many others. There are also single stacks, and decent .40's and 45's, where before it was more .380's and 9mm's. Also, a lot of "1911 style" ones, such as the Sig 938 and Springfield EMP.

So, looking for small/reliable/and probably 9mm or above, most likely SA/DA and plastic. What's good, and what to avoid (and why)?
Glock 43, 43x, Sig P365. Maybe 365xl. Pick one.

SA/DA in this class is dumb and a waste of time.

"drops mic"

My experience is a Glock 26 and a massafied PM9....both shoot awesome...PM9 in the pocket....G26 on the waist. These are the only two guns I found I can carry without much hassle.

i carry a sig 938 mostly, but you said plastic, so that's out. as others have said, no need for the 938 since the p365 came out.
that is what i would seriously look at if i were buying now.

BUT!! i bought a ruger lc9s 2 years ago. impulse purchase, contractor yellow to match my extensive dewalt collection.

it is a sweet shooting pocket pistol (cue the ruger haters)

I carry a Ruger lc9s. Inexpensive, but it’s been boringly reliable for me. Surprisingly good factory trigger. All the snaggy pokey corners rounded for my comfort. I can put all the rounds in a post it note fast at 7 yards, or slow it down and flap the heart on the steel at 25 every time.

I forgot about the lc9s. Sweet shooting little gun. Its light, thin, and I shoot it well. I have been thinking about finding one for myself ( lc9s is the wife's EDC), but I like my J frame Smithy.
Only thing with the lc9s is with the finger extension on the mag I release the mag while shooting. It's not a problem at all without the finger extension.

i carry a sig 938 mostly, but you said plastic, so that's out. as others have said, no need for the 938 since the p365 came out.
that is what i would seriously look at if i were buying now.

BUT!! i bought a ruger lc9s 2 years ago. impulse purchase, contractor yellow to match my extensive dewalt collection.

it is a sweet shooting pocket pistol (cue the ruger haters)

There is absolutely nothing wrong w the LC9s, forgot about that one. And Rugers are awesome lol. I’d take the 365 because of capacity but if you already have a ruger? Awesome

Back
Top Bottom