• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which modern subcompact carry gun?

You lost me on plastic. Not that there’s anything wrong with polymer guns I just don’t care for them. Get a bodyguard. New ones go bang all the time now. Also no safety. At least they have a hammer.

The problem is MA in itself.
Sure if you want a gun that is as big as a glock 19 footprint for grip but carries 10 rounds- go glock 43x or the 365xl.. while these guns are amazing in a free state they are hindered in MA. 10 rounds in a glock 19 grip does not help you because it will not be as as shootable as the 19.

Now the sig 365 is another story. 10 rounds in a smaller package and still shootable is why it is a huge seller in MA.

Glock 26 is not perfect either. It is dated, but for us with preban mags it works well.

You should look at the SigP365. For size/caliber/capacity/shootability it's hard to beat.

Springfield Hellcat too, if you're in a Free State.

I traded in my P238 for a P938 for a P365. for pure shootability in a tiny gun you cannot beat the P238 (.380), it's like throwing darts. I'm not a fan of the Sig micro "1911" style concept mostly because they're not really much like a 1911 since they only have one flimsy manual Safety w/ a cocked hammer SAO. No way I'd ever carry the 238/938 AIWB and while they shot well, they always made me a little nervous. With the advent of the 365, I don't know why anyone would sacrifice & carry the 938 unless they already had one and didn't want to buy another gun. If it's between buying the 938 & 365, it's not even a debate, there is zero reason to buy a 938 now.

938 is fancier. 365 are sneakers, 938 are the tuxedo shoes. and anything in .40 are the steel toed work boots.

Sure if you want a gun that is as big as a glock 19 footprint for grip but carries 10 rounds- go glock 43x or the 365xl.. while these guns are amazing in a free state they are hindered in MA. 10 rounds in a glock 19 grip does not help you because it will not be as as shootable as the 19.

Now the sig 365 is another story. 10 rounds in a smaller package and still shootable is why it is a huge seller in MA.

Glock 26 is not perfect either. It is dated, but for us with preban mags it works well.

A 43X is not a "Glock 19 Grip" the entire gun is a G19 on a serious diet.

Nothing mentioned in the OPs wheelhouse will ever be as shootable as a 19 is, so that whole nostrum is kind of a non starter. You can't get there from here in that class of guns.

Sure if you want a gun that is as big as a glock 19 footprint for grip but carries 10 rounds- go glock 43x or the 365xl..

The 43X is a lot thinner than a 19, it is easily concealable and with the 19 sized grip there is no need for a Pierce Extender on the magazine, or a +2 on a pre ban on a G26 to make the grip better for shooting.

The 365 is a huge seller in MA because the 43X is not readily available in MA, you can't buy it new can you?

But the 365 is a great gun because it is affordable and available in MA, IMHO it is not a bad gun and an affordable alternative to the 43X in MA

The G26 was the only game in town for a while in the sub compact Glock line, it was thick, and the grip needed a +2 on a pre ban, or Pierce Extender on neutered mags to get a good grip and control. Sure you can use a G19, G17, or even a G18 mag in it (though the 18 is not reliable), and many people carried a larger mag as a spare.

Many people who have purchased a 43X have put their 26's away or sold them, the 43X fits their needs that much better.

YMMV

Looking back, I wish I went with a Ruger LC9s (pro version / non safety) instead of the S&W Shield. The Shield I went with for price (rebates back then), reliability, and aftermarket reasons, but the Ruger equivalent is actually a way better shooter (which is what you want in a subcompact carry gun).

Been around a long while, seen plenty of guns.

A LOT has changed, and frankly, I haven't really paid full attention.

My baselines are a Kahr PMK9 or a Keltec P3AT for size and weight. The first was more for quality and accuracy, and the latter more for total small&functional.

Now, there are so many choices, such as Glock, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, S&W, H&K, and many many others. There are also single stacks, and decent .40's and 45's, where before it was more .380's and 9mm's. Also, a lot of "1911 style" ones, such as the Sig 938 and Springfield EMP.

So, looking for small/reliable/and probably 9mm or above, most likely SA/DA and plastic. What's good, and what to avoid (and why)?
Whatever you carry today that works and you are comfortable shooting.

You are talking about the tool that your life could depend on one day. If you have one that is reliable, why change it?

Unless what you have is a POS. In that case, why didn't you change it sooner?

I still carry a PPS I bought around 2012. There is a newer PPS and newer guns, but my PPS is very reliable and it was around before the Shield. And it still has the best mag release for conceal carry.

Last edited:
@OP why were you originally looking for DA/SA?

Seems most have overlooked that, while others dismissed it... I’m curious your reasoning for it?

Admitted HK fan-boy here — ambi controls (wrong handed). Never got into Glock for that reason (plus grip angle)

Therefore, HK P30 and sk Checks the DA/SA box.

@OP why were you originally looking for DA/SA?

Seems most have overlooked that, while others dismissed it... I’m curious your reasoning for it?

Admitted HK fan-boy here — ambi controls (wrong handed). Never got into Glock for that reason (plus grip angle)

Therefore, HK P30 and sk Checks the DA/SA box.

Fellow lefty here. While I like ambi controls, I don’t want any a subcompact. 365 ticks all the boxes. It’s a gun designed around a magazine and 10+1 in that size package is still amazing to me.

G43X is a lot thinner than my G19 and also fits my hand better cause its grip is thinner. I like it much better as a carry gun. I don't find it any harder to conceal than a P365XL, and your mags are gimped in MA with the latter.

go to an indor range, rent and shoot a few guns, or go to your local range and see if anyone will let you shoot a mag or 2, find a gun you are comfortable with, with ergonomics that feels right to you.Most modern manufactured guns are good, They have different features, different designs, etc etc, No ones opinion on what to buy matters but yours, No matter what you buy if you dont carry it, it doesnt matter,,,,,Whatever you decide on, unfortunatly it is a bad time inventory on guns and ammo is quite low, Buy all you can when you can

Been around a long while, seen plenty of guns.

A LOT has changed, and frankly, I haven't really paid full attention.

My baselines are a Kahr PMK9 or a Keltec P3AT for size and weight. The first was more for quality and accuracy, and the latter more for total small&functional.

Now, there are so many choices, such as Glock, Springfield, Sig, Ruger, S&W, H&K, and many many others. There are also single stacks, and decent .40's and 45's, where before it was more .380's and 9mm's. Also, a lot of "1911 style" ones, such as the Sig 938 and Springfield EMP.

So, looking for small/reliable/and probably 9mm or above, most likely SA/DA and plastic. What's good, and what to avoid (and why)?

I have a 365XL and man is this thing sweet. The 12+1 capacity for the size is mind blowing

938 is fancier. 365 are sneakers, 938 are the tuxedo shoes. and anything in .40 are the steel toed work boots.

The 938 are clown shoes compared to the 365. It had its time & place but the 365 will put the 938 out of production. I cannot think of a single reason, unless you already own one and don't want to buy a new gun, why anyone would choose the 938 over the 365 if they're in the market for a subcompact.

I have both the PM9 and a 365. Both are surprisingly accurate and with the pinky extensions are easy to shoot even with large hands.
My only gripe about the PM9 is that the spare magazine tends to lose the first round and I find it loose in my pocket.

The 365 is a little to big for pocket carry but disappears IWB in a Vedder Lite Tuck. I carry a spare mag in a horizontal mag carrier. Gives you 21 in total in a small package that always goes bang and delivers good accuracy.
I just ordered an ankle holster for the PM9 to carry as a BUG. I am sure it will take some getting used to as I have never ankle carried before but I will figure it out.

The 938 are clown shoes compared to the 365. It had its time & place but the 365 will put the 938 out of production. I cannot think of a single reason, unless you already own one and don't want to buy a new gun, why anyone would choose the 938 over the 365 if they're in the market for a subcompact.

Okay here is one. the 938 is a couple ounces lighter than the 365 fully loaded. and shorter from the bottom of the grip to the top of the slide ( with flush mount mag). With the proper holster this lends itself to pocket carry better. I have both and carry the 365 most often but like shooting the 938 better. And if I pocket carry It’s the 938.

I have come to appreciate the Glock 43X, even more so than the Glock 26
the problem is for you behind enemy lines is that they cost too much behind the Maura Curtain
Are these both smaller than the Kahr PMK9? That is my reference point.

One YOU shoot well under an elevated heart rate
??

I’m going to go all in and say Glock 45. You’ve got the small Glock 19 slide and that means you have a bunch of holster options. Then you’ve got double stack magazines in your Glock 17 frame and can get your hands on it no problem. Then all you have to do is talk yourself out of customizing it because it will be tempting and mail it to Smyrna to have Glock install night sights and you’re done. You’ve got a great concealed carry with the versatility of a full-sized, commanding 9mm.
That was 2018-me and I just got my LTC! I thought I was simulating the stress from an active-shooter situation and I had a Bodyguard 380 that I was putting 400 rounds through in a range session. Don’t be like 2018-me!
Do they make this in a .45? .40?

Which is newer, the Sig 365 or 320, and what are the differences? What about this XD?

G43X is perfection in Mass, thanks to 10 round standard cap mag and full size grip.
Wait, is the 43X full size or compact? Again, the PM9 is the point of reference. P3AT in 9mm would be the ultimate for size/weight. Also considering .45 and .40 options.

Last edited:
Okay here is one. the 938 is a couple ounces lighter than the 365 fully loaded. and shorter from the bottom of the grip to the top of the slide ( with flush mount mag). With the proper holster this lends itself to pocket carry better. I have both and carry the 365 most often but like shooting the 938 better. And if I pocket carry It’s the 938.

I also had the 938 & 365 at the same time (got rid of the 938 since). The size difference is negligible but the capacity difference is not (and the weight differential is worth the extra capacity). If you can pocket carry the 938 you can pocket carry the 365. While the 938 is a sweet shooter for a micro 9, If you can shoot the 938 you can shoot the 365 which is also a great little shooter.

Then there’s the problem of the locked & cocked hammer with a single flimsy safety.

There is a reason you carry the 365 more and why very few people are buying new 938s. I can’t imagine they’ll continue the 938 line much longer.

As I said, if you already have one that’s one thing but it would be idiotic to buy the 938 if the choice is between buying a 938 & a 365.

Are these both smaller than the Kahr PMK9? That is my reference point.

??

Do they make this in a .45? .40?

Which is newer, the Sig 365 or 320, and what are the differences? What about this XD?

Wait, is the 43X full size or compact? I thought someone said full size.
I thought you were looking for a 9mm? Yes the name is confusing, but the Glock 45 is chambered in 9mm.

For 40 I don’t have any stellar recommendations because I still need to buy a gun chambered for that catridge. As a third party observer I would recommend an HK USP .40. They’re inexpensive and nearly-compact, but with all the quality HK has been known to offer. Then if you can get over the compact requirement a Glock 22 because they’re classic and tried and true.

For a 45 I have a Glock 30S. It’s beefy and compact and I put a plastic beaver tail on it to make it more comfortable to draw and shoot. S&W Shield in 45 is also good too I’ve heard a lot of guys on this site recommend it so I would have to say it’s good to go. Guess would be 365 is newer than 320. 43X is full size grip. In other words, it runs same mags as Glock 17, implies same mags as Glock 45 and can also run Glock 22 mags if you are not mag dumping.

My M&P 2.0 is really turning out to be a reliable weapon. No jams, no issues, no nothing. The only downside is taking out a second mortgage for a box of 9mm.

I never had any reliability issues w any of my M&P 1.0s. Loved the Shield but opted for smaller.

A 43X is not a "Glock 19 Grip" the entire gun is a G19 on a serious diet.

Nothing mentioned in the OPs wheelhouse will ever be as shootable as a 19 is, so that whole nostrum is kind of a non starter. You can't get there from here in that class of guns.

Correct. This would be in addition to a larger/full size. This post is about a compact carry gun.

Guns in that class in .40 are the Keds knockoffs from Sam's Club that nobody wants. [rofl]

Or, it could be for "flinting" and for expedience and practicality in .40 when no other ammo available.

I also had the 938 & 365 at the same time (got rid of the 938 since). The size difference is negligible but the capacity difference is not (and the weight differential is worth the extra capacity). If you can pocket carry the 938 you can pocket carry the 365. While the 938 is a sweet shooter for a micro 9, If you can shoot the 938 you can shoot the 365 which is also a great little shooter.

Then there’s the problem of the locked & cocked hammer with a single flimsy safety.

There is a reason you carry the 365 more and why very few people are buying new 938s. I can’t imagine they’ll continue the 938 line much longer.

As I said, if you already have one that’s one thing but it would be idiotic to buy the 938 if the choice is between buying a 938 & a 365.

OK, but how do these compare in size AND WEIGHT to the Kahr PM9? To the P3AT? This would likely be for either pocket carry, or maybe ankle.

Back
Top Bottom