Which modern subcompact carry gun?

For a 45 I have a Glock 30S. It’s beefy and compact and I put a plastic beaver tail on it to make it more comfortable to draw and shoot.
The opposite of what I'm going for here. I want least beefy (size and weight), and maximum conceal. I know you want a little bigger in .45 for the recoil, but this is not a range gun.

Correct. This would be in addition to a larger/full size. This post is about a compact carry gun.

OK, but how do these compare in size to the Kahr PM9? To the P3AT?

Good question, I don’t know. The OP was talking about buying a new micro 9 and specifically mentioned the 938, which is a fine gun if you have one already but probably not the one to buy when considering what else is available in that class.

The opposite of what I'm going for here. I want least beefy (size and weight), and maximum conceal. I know you want a little bigger in .45 for the recoil, but this is not a range gun.
The Glock 30S weighs in at 22.95 oz while the Sig P365 weighs in at 18 oz.
Specs 30S:

• Mass: 22.95 oz. w/empty magazine
  • Length: 6.96”
  • Barre lengthl: 3.77
  • Slide Width: 1”
  • Height: 4.8”
Sig P365:

Mass500 g (18 oz)
Length147 mm (5.8 in)
Barrel length78 mm (3.1 in)
Width26 mm (1.0 in)
Height109 mm (4.3 in)

So in conclusion you don't add much size with the Glock 30S but you do add significant stopping power. You can also use Glock 21 magazines for more capacity but forfeiting some comfort. It is incredibly easy to conceal in factory configuration I have a Alien Wear IWB holster and wear it all day every day in the winter no issues.

Had the Glock 43 and liked it. Alot. Then the Sig p365 came out. Better trigger, more rounds easier to conceal, modular design, basically the same price.

Sold my Glock 43, along with my Glock 26 and went with the Sig.

I love my P365, and really like the SAS slide I put on it after they came out. On my frame, you can’t tell that I’m carrying anything, 10+1 capacity, very easy to shoot, and reasonably priced (at least when they first came out, which is when I purchased mine) are the reasons I EDC it.

I have a G19 and P238 and like both, but only carry those intermittently because of how good the 365 is. The G19, while a terrific gun, just isn’t as comfortable to carry for me for whatever reason. The 238 is great for pocket carry, but the capacity makes it less of an option because I have the 365.

I’ve had a shield 1.0 for years, have liked it a lot. Never had a jam or malfunction, very reliable.

As soon as I can find one I’m replacing it with a 43x mos. The 10+1 is a nice bonus, but the ability to also get 15 round mags (free state I know) make it so much more versatile for me since I just applied for my Mass non res Ltc (if I get it). Would be ideal to have one gun and just be able to switch out mags in the event I go over the border.

I love my P365, and really like the SAS slide I put on it after they came out. On my frame, you can’t tell that I’m carrying anything, 10+1 capacity, very easy to shoot, and reasonably priced (at least when they first came out, which is when I purchased mine) are the reasons I EDC it.

I have a G19 and P238 and like both, but only carry those intermittently because of how good the 365 is. The G19, while a terrific gun, just isn’t as comfortable to carry for me for whatever reason. The 238 is great for pocket carry, but the capacity makes it less of an option because I have the 365.
This is true, we shot each others pistols at the range, the P365 SAS delivers and then some.

So, looking for small/reliable/and probably 9mm or above, most likely SA/DA and plastic. What's good, and what to avoid (and why)?

SA/DA, so a hammer? If it's a 1911 style, the P238 is the top gun hands down (or Springfield 911). Striker fired, too many options. Kahr's are highly rated and probably the smallest in the P380 or PM9 for sure. Going up in size, I like the new Mossberg MC1sc and the Springfield XDS 3.3 but there's a lot of contenders in that size. If you want double stack, G26 tops the list, the best carry gun I owned. Yes, I sold it. Regrets

What is the "SAS" version, and how is it different?
The SAS is a slide which has a fiber optic tritium insert built into the RMR mount on the slide. So you have a lower point of aim than that of a standard three dot sight, but this means you can conceal carry easier and effectively draw easier from a concealed carry standpoint. That being said, you need to train with it to make it work. I moved away from my XS Big Dot sight on my BG380 (which I sold) and now have 3 dots on all my carry hand guns because I’m relatively green and I like the consistency. But if you want another option in the SAS slide, it definitely is something to consider.

ETA: You kind of have to see it and shoot it to get on the bandwagon. I’ve wanted one ever since the magical range trip when I shot one but since the pandemic other purchases have taken priority.

SA/DA, so a hammer? If it's a 1911 style, the P238 is the top gun hands down (or Springfield 911). Striker fired, too many options. Kahr's are highly rated and probably the smallest in the P380 or PM9 for sure. Going up in size, I like the new Mossberg MC1sc and the Springfield XDS 3.3 but there's a lot of contenders in that size. If you want double stack, G26 tops the list, the best carry gun I owned. Yes, I sold it. Regrets

Not married to a hammer over striker. I forgot all about that, as all my handguns so far have hammers. Told you I've been out of the market for a while. Totally forgot about the Mossberg. Again, how does that one stack up in size/weight versus the Kahr PM9K and now the Sig 365 and Glock G41X?

The SAS is a slide which has a fiber optic tritium insert built into the RMR mount on the slide. So you have a lower point of aim than that of a standard three dot sight, but this means you can conceal carry easier and effectively draw easier from a concealed carry standpoint. That being said, you need to train with it to make it work. I moved away from my XS Big Dot sight on my BG380 (which I sold) and now have 3 dots on all my carry hand guns because I’m relatively green and I like the consistency. But if you want another option in the SAS slide, it definitely is something to consider.

ETA: You kind of have to see it and shoot it to get on the bandwagon. I’ve wanted one ever since the magical range trip when I shot one but since the pandemic other purchases have taken priority.
Thanks for the info, but sounds like a fancy gun, and I want simple as possible.

What is the "SAS" version, and how is it different?

Yep - what RM said. “SAS” stands for ”Sig anti-Snag” or some such thing, so there’s no raised front or rear sight on the slide. Now, I never snagged with any other gun, but I appreciate the lower line of sight.

I have regular sights on all of my other hand guns, so it does take some getting used to, but it all clicked for me after a couple days on the range.

Not married to a hammer over striker. I forgot all about that, as all my handguns so far have hammers. Told you I've been out of the market for a while. Totally forgot about the Mossberg. Again, how does that one stack up in size/weight versus the Kahr PM9K and now the Sig 365 and Glock G41X?

Thanks for the info, but sounds like a fancy gun, and I want simple as possible.

It’s shockingly simple. I purchased the standard P365 with a safety and just put on the SAS slide that Sig sells for the safety-switch guns. Nothing else needed except for a day or two at the range to get familiar with it.

maximum conceal and 9mm is say glock 43/43x, sig365/xl, or Springfield hellcat (unless we all still hate them).

I went with sig365 because it was available and I like sig. 10rnds beats 6 for the glock43. I didn't want to go 43x or 365xl route. if I was going to carry something that size, I'd just just suck it up and carry my glock19.

can't really go wrong with any of them, and if you don't like what you get, you'll easily get 90% or more of your money back selling it given the current climate.

maximum conceal and 9mm is say glock 43/43x, sig365/xl, or Springfield hellcat (unless we all still hate them).

I went with sig365 because it was available and I like sig. 10rnds beats 6 for the glock43. I didn't want to go 43x or 365xl route. if I was going to carry something that size, I'd just just suck it up and carry my glock19.

can't really go wrong with any of them, and if you don't like what you get, you'll easily get 90% or more of your money back selling it given the current climate.

That's right. I forgot the Hellcat in addition to the Mossberg. In fact, I know nothing about it. Why do people hate them? How do they stack up in dimensions and weight?

Then, there is always the revolver option. I am guessing the S&W's are the main leader. I know Charter isn't bad. Isn't there a police model .357 that is all black, and light weight.

Are these both smaller than the Kahr PMK9? That is my reference point.

??

Do they make this in a .45? .40?

Which is newer, the Sig 365 or 320, and what are the differences? What about this XD?

Wait, is the 43X full size or compact? Again, the PM9 is the point of reference. P3AT in 9mm would be the ultimate for size/weight. Also considering .45 and .40 options.
Under stress of any shape, be it a defensive situation or after a run, you're heart rate will be jacked. If you can't shoot well after a run or another physical exercise, how do you expect to shoot well in a defensive situation.

Not sure why anyone would select a hammer fire SA over striker fire in the 9mm or .380 subcompact market. I love 1911s but the 238/938 are not 1911’s, not even close. What you get with those is a SA hammer fire w a single thumb safety and a 7lb trigger pull. I’d never carry that configuration AIWB. W a striker fire there’s no manual safety (you can get the 365 in MA without it or you can remove it or simply not use it, it’s simply not necessary other than to Maura). Or go w the PM9 or 43.

I think I'm still leaning towards the PM9 or maybe will need to compare it with the Sig 365. Will have to go to Cabela's or Kittery to check them out side by side. Maybe they'll have the Glock 43 (or was it 41?).

Oh, what is the 43X/41X?

I think I'm still leaning towards the PM9 or maybe will need to compare it with the Sig 365. Will have to go to Cabela's or Kittery to check them out side by side. Maybe they'll have the Glock 43 (or was it 41?).

Oh, what is the 43X/41X?
43x or 48, same frame but 48 is a longer slide, about the same size as a g19

That's right. I forgot the Hellcat in addition to the Mossberg. In fact, I know nothing about it. Why do people hate them? How do they stack up in dimensions and weight?

Then, there is always the revolver option. I am guessing the S&W's are the main leader. I know Charter isn't bad. Isn't there a police model .357 that is all black, and light weight.
Springfield supported some shitty legislation in Illinois a while back. so we hate them.

I haven't held one, but from what I read the size and dimension is pretty much same as the sig365 but holds one more round for a bakers dozen of 9mm. they did an initial big splash with special influencer kits but since then been quieter... most mentions online I see are still sig or glock.

you may find this site in the below URL helpful on specific dimensions. You can compare most any model of concealable handgun and get front, side by side, top, back etc views of two different pistols side by side. Kahr S9 vs PM9 below for instance.

However, none of this means much to me...far more important is the grip I can get on the gun. I love Kahrs. Carried K9 for years. Lost the pinky on gripping it but was still able to hold it well and I shot it really well. Always wanted the PM9, however after trying it I felt I couldn’t get a good grip on it from holster Or pocket. Kinda defeats the purpose. I have somewhat largish hands.

All that being said if maximum conceal ability is your goal...they’re aren’t many guns 9mm or above much smaller than a PM9. After handling the Sig 365 though...I want one of those.

My current carry is a G43 but the whole 6+1 thing bothers me. I have some Taran +2 extensions on the way but still not 100% satisfied.

I am putting together a G19 MOS w/ RMR right now to train with to see if I prefer shooting with a red dot.

If I do, I will be getting a G43X MOS w/ RMRcc for a 10+1 carry.

Not a fan of the P365 or Sigs in general, but still have to admit it is the best form factor and concealability.

Back
Top Bottom