• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which modern subcompact carry gun?

You should look at the SigP365. For size/caliber/capacity/shootability it's hard to beat.

Springfield Hellcat too, if you're in a Free State.

I traded in my P238 for a P938 for a P365. for pure shootability in a tiny gun you cannot beat the P238 (.380), it's like throwing darts. I'm not a fan of the Sig micro "1911" style concept mostly because they're not really much like a 1911 since they only have one flimsy manual Safety w/ a cocked hammer SAO. No way I'd ever carry the 238/938 AIWB and while they shot well, they always made me a little nervous. With the advent of the 365, I don't know why anyone would sacrifice & carry the 938 unless they already had one and didn't want to buy another gun. If it's between buying the 938 & 365, it's not even a debate, there is zero reason to buy a 938 now.
After buying a 938 a few weeks ago I was looking at a 365 yesterday at my daughter's house and I agree with you. I'm not sure I would change my mine but I'm going to take a closer look.

I'm not a fan of the Sig micro "1911" style concept mostly because they're not really much like a 1911 since they only have one flimsy manual Safety w/ a cocked hammer SAO. No way I'd ever carry the 238/938 AIWB

Sure only "One flimsy manual safety" but there is that other thing, what's it called, I can't remember right now but I know we are not supposed to touch it unless we want to bring the bang.

🐯

That's right. I forgot the Hellcat in addition to the Mossberg. In fact, I know nothing about it. Why do people hate them? How do they stack up in dimensions and weight?

Then, there is always the revolver option. I am guessing the S&W's are the main leader. I know Charter isn't bad. Isn't there a police model .357 that is all black, and light weight.

I went in to MFS looking to purchase the Mossberg, it was more in my budget. After handling that and the Sig, I left with a 365. I know it’s cliche, but it just felt better in my hand.
With regards to the revolvers, there was a Ruger LCR9 in the classifieds a few days ago and I was curious. I was surprised to discover that it’s bigger than the 365 in every dimension, with 5 less rounds. I can’t say that I looked at all snubbies dimensions, but considering the LCR is the 9mm equivalent to a 642, I’m assuming they’re pretty close in size.

Edit- The J frame is a tad smaller than the LCR, but both are still larger than the 365. I’m still interested in the LCR9 (for some odd reason) and I can’t explain why. 84C3DA8E-8D04-4235-A121-A631310DD8BB.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, no. The point is to be as compact as possible. Think of the 1.25" snubbies, and go from there.

I was only referencing the numbers for you, personally I think your options are Glock 43x, p365 or shield. Suppose the Springfield hellcat too but I’ve personally never really liked Springfield’s.

Then, there is always the revolver option. I am guessing the S&W's are the main leader. I know Charter isn't bad. Isn't there a police model .357 that is all black, and light weight.
My most carried gun by far is my Ruger LCR in .38spl. The main reason for that is because it's small and light - whether I carry it in my pocket or appendix, I forget that it's even there. It's basically anyways on me because of how easy it is to carry.

One more note on size: you can't compare revolver dimensions to a semi-auto. Revolvers have lots of curves that make them much easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry. I really wanted to replace my LCR with a small 9mm pistol (mainly for capacity and sharing ammo with my bigger carry gun) but none could match the little wheel gun - I think it even conceals easier than the tiny LCP.

If you take the revolver route, skip the .357 Mag - it's brutal out of a tiny gun and surprisingly not that powerful out of a tiny barrel. The 9mm performs best out of these small guns but you have to deal with moon clips and look into crimp jump off you're really considering 9mm. Supposedly the .327 Mag does well, I don't know. I like my .38spl. I'm also partial to Ruger, as I don't quite trust S&W quality control these days (although I own an older j-frame as well).

My most carried gun by far is my Ruger LCR in .38spl. The main reason for that is because it's small and light - whether I carry it in my pocket or appendix, I forget that it's even there. It's basically anyways on me because of how easy it is to carry.

One more note on size: you can't compare revolver dimensions to a semi-auto. Revolvers have lots of curves that make them much easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry. I really wanted to replace my LCR with a small 9mm pistol (mainly for capacity and sharing ammo with my bigger carry gun) but none could match the little wheel gun - I think it even conceals easier than the tiny LCP.

If you take the revolver route, skip the .357 Mag - it's brutal out of a tiny gun and surprisingly not that powerful out of a tiny barrel. The 9mm performs best out of these small guns but you have to deal with moon clips and look into crimp jump off you're really considering 9mm. Supposedly the .327 Mag does well, I don't know. I like my .38spl. I'm also partial to Ruger, as I don't quite trust S&W quality control these days (although I own an older j-frame as well).

I watched this during my investigation into the LCR9. He acknowledges crimp jump, but basically says it’s a non-issue. You’ve successfully piqued my interest in snubbies once again.

View: https://youtu.be/eIsy9gg1S58

The G43X is a nice gun but I wouldn't call it compact.

I've really been thinking hard about going to a 365XL or 43X for increased capacity. A 43X with two 15 round mags would more than double my current rounds on hand. Given the state of the world these days, its not a terrible idea. Only hinderance is starting a new caliber these days. I dont want to have to spend an additional $500-$600 on 9MM just to prove the guns reliability. I dont have the room for a reloading bench, nor do I shoot enough to justify. I guess I'll just have to throw an extra mag in my pocket.

Sure only "One flimsy manual safety" but there is that other thing, what's it called, I can't remember right now but I know we are not supposed to touch it unless we want to bring the bang.

🐯

Considering the safety on the 938 I had fell out of the gun and I had to send it back twice, I'll stand by my comment about it being a flimsy safety. There's a reason why 1911s have a grip safety and a manual safety, it's advisable when you have a cocked hammer SAO gun. Striker fire is a safer, better alternative to a micro SAO with a single shit safety. I prefer to only have to touch one thing in a concealed carry gun, there's one less thing that can malfunction.

Last edited:
Good comparison between the 365 and LCR

If you like comparing apples to coconuts, lol. I have both, love 'em both but aside from them both being black and going bang when you pull the trigger, I don't see much comparison. Actually, I have the LCRx which has the exposed hammer which you can shoot in DA/SA, the hammer is curved in a manner to prevent snagging. I got it just to have an extra emergency carry gun in the office safe, if for whatever reason I end up at the office without my EDC (I guess the only reason I can see that happening is if I were to fly back into town and go directly to the office). It's also a good staging gun since you can set it and forget it.

Good comparison between the 365 and LCR
One thing he touches on is ergonomics and that's the number one reason I went with a revolver. I hate small semi-autos with their teeny-weeny little controls and tiny grips that leave my pinkie hanging in the air. I have yet to come across a picket pistol where I could work the safety and slide lock without cursing everything. On my LCR, meanwhile, Ruger enlarged the trigger guard to make it easier to shoot with gloves on...

Good question, I don’t know. The OP was talking about buying a new micro 9 and specifically mentioned the 938, which is a fine gun if you have one already but probably not the one to buy when considering what else is available in that class.
Ha, I AM the "OP". I was only using the 938 as a point of reference because it seemed pretty compact and solid, and a lot of people liked it when it first came out.

putting together a G19 MOS w/ RMR ...

If I do, I will be getting a G43X MOS w/ RMRcc

Ha ha ha. LOL'ing at all the letters and numbers.

Reminds me of this:
280ZX 2+2 Turbo

I was only referencing the numbers for you, personally I think your options are Glock 43x, p365 or shield. Suppose the Springfield hellcat too but I’ve personally never really liked Springfield’s.
Doesn't Springfield make an XD something? Isn't there an HK competitor? What about Walther? Shield vs. Bodyguard? Mossberg?

going bang when you pull the trigger, I don't see much comparison
Isn't this ultimately what it is all about?

Last edited:
One thing he touches on is ergonomics and that's the number one reason I went with a revolver. I hate small semi-autos with their teeny-weeny little controls and tiny grips that leave my pinkie hanging in the air. I have yet to come across a picket pistol where I could work the safety and slide lock without cursing everything. On my LCR, meanwhile, Ruger enlarged the trigger guard to make it easier to shoot with gloves on...

LOL I'm the complete opposite. I think snubbies are way cool until I try to shoot one more accurately than I can throw the damn thing. I'm fairly accurate with my G43 and it's still a good pocket gun, especially in a pocket holster. Looks like a wallet if it even prints.

I don't see the point of subcompacts that are no longer subcompact in order to carry more rounds. If I need more rounds, I'll IWB or OWB carry something bigger.

Wait, what are these Beretta's? APX Carry and Pico? Just saw that on one of those comparison pages.

Oh, and the Kahr S9 gets trounced by the PM9.

Pretty much everything gets beat by the PM9.

I own both the Sig P365 and the Glock 26...Both are 10+1, but the Sig feels/prints/carries/etc like a MUCH smaller gun. Shoots extremely well...I'm still - STILL - always a bit nervous as to whether the P365 will ALWAYS actually go "bang" when I pull the trigger (whereas the Glock I've never felt that it wasn't 100%)...
But it's much easier to carry a P365.

There is absolutely nothing wrong w the LC9s, forgot about that one. And Rugers are awesome lol. I’d take the 365 because of capacity but if you already have a ruger? Awesome
I own an LC9s also (in addition to the G26 and SigP365)...The LC9s is a great little gun, just that it's 7+1.. (versus the others at 10+1)...Three extra rounds don't make much difference (until the gun goes "click" after 8 rounds - and you really could use 3 more at that particular point in time)

Just sayin'

Last edited:
Considering the safety on the 938 I had fell out of the gun and I had to send it back twice, I'll stand by my comment about it being a flimsy safety. There's a reason why 1911s have a grip safety and a manual safety, it's advisable when you have a cocked hammer SAO gun. Striker fire is a safer, better alternative to a micro SAO with a single shit safety. I prefer to only have to touch one thing in a concealed carry gun, there's one less thing that can malfunction.
The 938 also has a firing pin block. Even if the hammer were to fall, without the trigger depressed it wont go off.

Last edited:
I’ll confess, a Keltec PF9 in a DeSantis pocket holster, with a spare mag, is my usual stuff-in-pocket and out the door gun. I put a few mags through periodically, after having shot 200rd JHP on break-in, and never had a FTF/FTE. Small, cheap, light.

The 938 also has a firing pin block. Even if the hammer were to fall, without the trigger depressed it wouldn’t go off.

Buck Faker seems to have much disdain for the P938 - why that is, I do not know. It's a great platform and if you don't like it that's fine, but why treat it like it's some turd of a gun that has not performed as it should when required. You sound like the usual know it all that's nothing but a big bag of shit!

Back
Top Bottom