• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which would you carry?

If you had a choice to carry either a S&W 9mm compact, or, a compact 1911 .45 (Para Slim Hawg), which would you choose and why?

< S&W CS9. My choice for CCW. I don't care for the M&P series; fullsize or compact.

Para's quality control leaves a lot to be desired and their customer service is worse. S&W is the way to go.

Para's quality control leaves a lot to be desired and their customer service is worse. S&W is the way to go.

This.
As much as I like the idea of Para, the execution has a lot of issues. I wouldn't bet my life on a gun that is so legendary for quality issues. You'd be better of with a pocket .25 that works every time than the best .45 in the world that malfunctions semi-frequently.

If you had a choice to carry either a S&W 9mm compact, or, a compact 1911 .45 (Para Slim Hawg), which would you choose and why?

1911. I'm also giving you my opinion as a die hard 1911 fan that owns a compact and a CCO. I do not own a Para so hard to give my opinion on reliability but it is a 1911. [smile] Try shooting both if possible to see which feels better to you. Good luck!

S&W. Traded in my Para P14 a year ago and never looked back. I know it isnt the compacts, but really the Para was a money pit. I dumped hundreds to get it to run smooth and still had issues. Now my M&P 9 is just a reliable piece that digests everything I have yet to put in it.

Here is my 2 cents, I here a lot about about reliability issues with the para's, I have owned 2 and never had a problem with either, and yes I don't own either anymore just because, I needed funding for another gun, I also own the M&P .40 full size and would not hesitate to buy a Compact M&P in either 9 or 40.

1911. I'm also giving you my opinion as a die hard 1911 fan that owns a compact and a CCO. I do not own a Para so hard to give my opinion on reliability but it is a 1911. [smile] Try shooting both if possible to see which feels better to you. Good luck!

I would shy away from recommending a gun because of the platform it is when the reliability of that particular maker has a very long record of subpar performance. 1911s are great and all and I love them, too, but I would not recommend 1911 when someone says "Para".

I have never owned or shot a Para, so I can't comment on them. I do however own a 9c which I carried for a year or so, it was a good reliable gun for me, but if you are in MA a trigger job is a must. The only reason I stopped carrying it was because I bought and HK.

I believe the S&W 9mm compact is the same as the Walther P99c, which I carry sometimes. It's a very nice light, compact CCW. For such a small gun, it is very accurate at 21 feet and fairly accurate at 25 yards.

How about a compact 9mm 1911 like the EMP?

< S&W CS9. My choice for CCW. I don't care for the M&P series; fullsize or compact.

You guys aren't very good at this game [smile]

My answer: M&P9c

How did Viper22's answer not follow the "rules of the game"?

(If anything, I was the one more off, but I just sort of blended the question/answer.)

I had an MP 40c and it was pretty nice with the exception of the trigger.

With that said, I would be more prone to carry the 1911 only if was a more dependable make. Though I have to experience with Para, I would not buy one just because of all the crap you read. I know its bad to do that, but I would rather spend my money on stuff that is rated higher. IMHO.

Thanks everyone. Looks like there is a consensus on the M&P for carry! While I have never had problems with the Slim Hawg insofar as reliability (discounting the mag release issue that my smith fixed for me), it's still a tough decision. I like the 1911 simply because of the redundancy in safety's, but the M&P has less of a snappy recoil enabling me to stay on target, an important factor for self defense I suspect. BTW Coyote33, I would LOVE a EMP, but alas I reside in the Peoples Republic and for the time being they are a no no. I have been carrying the SH for about a year now, but I may retire it to the bedside and carry the M&P for a while. Meanwhile, the M&P Meprolight Bowie night sights are in the mail as well as the C. Rusty Sherrick US High Ride!

I'm pretty sure someone here (responding above in this thread!) responded (in another thread) he has an EMP. They are NOT illegal to own in MA, and CAN be found.

Last edited:
Encouraging about the EMP! Having a hard time finding one. Would love to take a really close look at the .40!

My Walther P99c, it is one of the most underated but reliable handgun I own. It has never had a FTF or FTE and I can't get it to jam, no matter what I do to it. I carry it everywhere.

My Walther P99c, it is one of the most underated but reliable handgun I own. It has never had a FTF or FTE and I can't get it to jam, no matter what I do to it. I carry it everywhere.

I will second that Fire....except when I can get away will a full size .40 or .45. My Walther is my trusty CCW in even the most strict situations.

Back
Top Bottom