White Mountains Real Estate

johnnylc3470

NES Member
Hi Everyone,
Was hoping the brain trust here on NES might be able to help me out. I have been vacationing in the White Mountains most of my life and am now looking to buy some land up there. The issues I am having that I was hoping maybe somebody with experience might be able to help with:

1. Location - I have spent time all over the the White Mountains but the last few years we have spent most of our time staying in the Whitefield/Bethlehem/Littleton area. I really like it and this is where I am looking to buy but are there other towns that would be a better value?

2. I am not looking for anything crazy, maybe a few acres with either a small cabin/home already there or land I can eventually build on. I am not looking for a large home or huge property. I have reached out to probably a dozen realtors in the area and its been mostly crickets. One that responded to me has been sending me listings for multi million dollar homes and the other pretty much seems to try to talk me out of any listing I inquire about but doesnt send me anything. So does anyone know any good realtors in the area? I know with the current real estate market they are probably very busy so I am not looking for someone to reach out daily but some help would be appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for any guidance that can be provided.

Absolutely beautiful.
absolutely true but i am absolutely out of any idea how to survive a winter in there.
it is a very different kind of the environment. it is really one of places i love to visit, but cannot imagine of how to actually _live_ there.

absolutely true but i am absolutely out of any idea how to survive a winter in there.
it is a very different kind of the environment.

I've been going a few times a year since '02, backpacking and camping there. Even snowshoed across Texas Falls alone in January once, one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Even in the summer you gotta watch out, cold rain storms come in out of nowhere and drench everything, all of a sudden it's dark and raining and 20 degrees colder. I got really good at pitching a tarp shelter fast. Tons of coyotes and some black bear. To live there you'd have to be mean and like being alone. You'd chop firewood every day. I'm seeing more wood gassifier-heated light dep greenhouses there, some company has been installing them. Seems like it's doable, but half the year you're snowed in. I'm just waiting for them to get internet that doesn't suck.

We have a place in Twin Mountain, about 10-15 minutes from downtown Bethlehem and an easy ride into Littleton for Lowes/HD/Walmart . I love it.. 5-10 minutes to Bretton Woods/MT Washington/Cannon. Close to 93.... We ride snowmobiles right out of the garage. Check out the tax rates on the different towns up there, Bethlehem is expensive and you would be better off tax wise in Whitefield or Twin.

I've been going a few times a year since '02, backpacking and camping there. Even snowshoed across Texas Falls alone in January once, one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Even in the summer you gotta watch out, cold rain storms come in out of nowhere and drench everything, all of a sudden it's dark and raining and 20 degrees colder. I got really good at pitching a tarp shelter fast. Tons of coyotes and some black bear. To live there you'd have to be mean and like being alone. You'd chop firewood every day. I'm seeing more wood gassifier-heated light dep greenhouses there, some company has been installing them. Seems like it's doable, but half the year you're snowed in. I'm just waiting for them to get internet that doesn't suck.
Say goodbye to a way of life if the get frigging internet there.

Didnt really have a specific budget in mind to be honest. I was thinking under $100k but don’t know if that’s reasonable
Well ... Zillow has a bunch of 1 to 8 acre lots in thst area for under $100K.

The challenge would be building, getting utilities ... and with today's prices, you are probably looking at another $400K to build nothing fancy.

Say goodbye to a way of life if the get frigging internet there.

They have ATT 4G on the east side of the mountain, and internet in the town center. It's really funny you can see all the towns people come to the center to check their internet on Sunday mornings. It's nice.

If you want everyone thinking you are the pedophile of the neighborhood, check out 8 Oak Hill St, Woodville, NH.
buy that place Broc. Beers at the iron rail and American Legion. Hell...I should buy it and slap a coat of paint on it for a winter place until the lake thaws each spring.

We have a place in Twin Mountain, about 10-15 minutes from downtown Bethlehem and an easy ride into Littleton for Lowes/HD/Walmart . I love it.. 5-10 minutes to Bretton Woods/MT Washington/Cannon. Close to 93.... We ride snowmobiles right out of the garage. Check out the tax rates on the different towns up there, Bethlehem is expensive and you would be better off tax wise in Whitefield or Twin.
Snowmobiling straight from the garage! Can't beat that! [cheers] I've visited your backyard several several times.

There's something in New Hampshire called "Current Use" that land owners can apply for and that designation changes how the land is taxed and how it can be used. It's been a while since I researched it but here is one link that might help.

Current Use

My family and I spent a good bit of time hiking the NH 4000’-ers this summer. Every restaurant, bar, and brewery we visited was over-run by cars from Mass. Just saying: not sure how long White MTNS will stay “free.”

My family and I spent a good bit of time hiking the NH 4000’-ers this summer. Every restaurant, bar, and brewery we visited was over-run by cars from Mass. Just saying: not sure how long White MTNS will stay “free.”

Not sure how long they will stay "White". I assume that name will need to be changed sometime for being offensive.

It's been that way (to my knowledge) sin e I started visiting circa 1980, though we generally stayed up around Colebrook.

Thanks I will check out Twin Mountain as well, have driven through there before but never explored it.

Not sure how long they will stay "White". I assume that name will need to be changed sometime for being offensive.
Yeah, just NH Mountains [hmmm]

Dcdr's Dad has a place a 1/4 mile South of mine in Twin Mtn up for sale.

290 Route 3 North, Carroll, NH 03595 - MLS ID 4884345 - Peabody & Smith Realty, Inc.

Can't say enough about Carroll aka Twin Mtn/Bretton Woods. My wife and I started scouring the North Country in 2005ish. Ten years we looked at property in Pittsburg, Clarksville, Stewartstown, Columbia, Colebrook, Northumberland, Stark, Stratford, Groveton, Lancaster, Whitefield & Jefferson. After a decade of searching my Dad found our place in Twin Mtn. I'd never considered going that far South fearing I couldn't afford it. I was wrong.

I can't say enough about Current Use. If you're looking in a rural area in NH, Eleven Acres or more is the key to low property taxes. House on One Acre, the rest in Current Use.

Well ... Zillow has a bunch of 1 to 8 acre lots in thst area for under $100K.

The challenge would be building, getting utilities ... and with today's prices, you are probably looking at another $400K to build nothing fancy.
Yeah thats what Im afraid of, thats why Im thinking this is probably a pipe dream right now

Back
Top Bottom