• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who’s canning ?

Went with the Presto 16 qt pressure cooker/canner. No guage just the weights. Looked at the pros and cons between the guage and the weights. Checked different review sites and this one was favorable for a good basic canner. To get through the learning I'll probably try canning some store-bought peaches and berries before defrosting and cutting up smaller pieces of venison to can. I saw the fruits can be done just by boiling without pressure so I think that will be a good place to start. Right now it sounds like a little bit of fun for a fall weekend. Any suggestions on a book or two for recipes on what to add into the jars for flavoring? I'm seeing books but wondering if some are better than than others.

That "boiling without pressure" is also referred to as water bath canning. Best for high acid foods lest it spoil. I would suggest trying that with a standard stock pot and lid, making sure to keep the jars off the bottom, rather than the pressure canner you bought.

Any large stock pot will work for it. The lid is to help conserve energy.

Went with the Presto 16 qt pressure cooker/canner. No guage just the weights. Looked at the pros and cons between the guage and the weights. Checked different review sites and this one was favorable for a good basic canner. To get through the learning I'll probably try canning some store-bought peaches and berries before defrosting and cutting up smaller pieces of venison to can. I saw the fruits can be done just by boiling without pressure so I think that will be a good place to start. Right now it sounds like a little bit of fun for a fall weekend. Any suggestions on a book or two for recipes on what to add into the jars for flavoring? I'm seeing books but wondering if some are better than than others.
Any fruit that is "low acid" needs to be pressure canned......which is just about ALL FRUIT.

All meats and fish need to be pressure canned also. A quart jar of chicken or venison needs to be processed for 90 minutes @ 13 lbs. pressure.

I highly suggest that you do some reading to learn the ins and outs of canning before you dive into it and waste a lot of food and or poison yourself.

Any fruit that is "low acid" needs to be pressure canned......which is just about ALL FRUIT.

All meats and fish need to be pressure canned also. A quart jar of chicken or venison needs to be processed for 90 minutes @ 13 lbs. pressure.

I highly suggest that you do some reading to learn the ins and outs of canning before you dive into it and waste a lot of food and or poison yourself.

Keeping in mind that you can add acidity to what you are canning, you just need to follow TRUSTED recipes. Ball has some good books.

That's the correct canner to get.

I've got the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. It's okay. I should look around for something better myself.

My favorites in the pressure canner are meats (chicken, ground beef, pork) and beef stew.

The stew is wonderful: equal parts chopped beef, carrots, potatoes, onions. You can add salt and pepper when you can it or afterwards when you eat it. I've done it both ways and it's just as easy to season when you eat it. Wide mouth quarts are best for this.

The chicken is okay (dry, but the broth it makes is awesome for rice), the ground beef is great in things like soups, and the pork is my favorite. I've started using it in my chili in place of beef. I buy giant pork loins at BJs, chop them into small pieces and cram that into jars.

New to Pressure canning, found a bargain All American pressure canner on facebook marketplace a while back. I have only canned pork (Loin and Butt). I am going to try some beef this weekend as I made a pretty good score on some roasts. Wish me luck

New to Pressure canning, found a bargain All American pressure canner on facebook marketplace a while back. I have only canned pork (Loin and Butt). I am going to try some beef this weekend as I made a pretty good score on some roasts. Wish me luck
Make sure the gasket is in good shape. You can always pick one up on Amazon.

Do any of you guys oil the silicon rings in your pressure canners? What do you use?
also, anyone ever stack jars in the canner while pressure canning?

All American canner here, no rings. We do put a very thin coat of Vaseline where the lid meets the body.

And yes, we have double stacked.

Back
Top Bottom