who among us shoots trap?

ok so today i go to shoot trap, its my 5th time going. I got a perfect round for the first time and at one point i hit 45 in a row.

so it got me thinking, who else here shoots trap and what's the best you have done? some of you must have done VERY WELL.

Ive hit 25 several times but have failed to hit 50. I get frustrated, many guys at my club are not happy unless they shoot 196/200. Its great learning from them but sometimes I have so much gong on in my head my scores drop

I wouldn't call what I do sufficient to say I "shoot trap" [laugh], but I do go out with a shotgun and blast a hundred or so clays on random afternoons... [wink]

Best is 24 of 25, more typically about 20 of 25 hand-tossed clays with a Mossberg 500 and 7 1/2 bird shot...

i shoot Sundays and my average is about 20.

196/200? i do not see that happening for me but am certainly willing to try. [smile] we only do 3 or maybe 4 rounds a week. strictly for fun. i keep track of mine but unless someone goes 25 for 25 i don't track what they are doing. i did get a little nervous with the last 3 though, knowing i had a chance at it. from what i was told had i been a member already, my name would go on a plaque and i would have received a hat pin.

i was doing a lot less, score wise, until last week when i had an Epiphany, shoot a little ahead of the clay - not right at it!

I wouldn't call what I do sufficient to say I "shoot trap" [laugh], but I do go out with a shotgun and blast a hundred or so clays on random afternoons... [wink]

Best is 24 of 25, more typically about 20 of 25 hand-tossed clays with a Mossberg 500 and 7 1/2 bird shot...

i"m with you, at this point its more like i go out and shoot, it just happens to be trap. i was looking for a place to shoot and they offered trap on Sundays. so i have been doing that while i wait for my name come up to join.

i had to laugh today because in the first round one of the guys got a 25 with a $2300 Beretta? i did mine using my $25 stoeger single shot [smile] its not always the gun [grin], but the gun can help a lot.

but the gun can help a lot.
Well, I can say the "wrong gun" can hurt - a lot... But, just from a physics standpoint there's a limit to what a non-rifled barrel and shot can actually do...

The "right" choke can certainly give you a much more effective range/spread/pattern... I suspect the "perfect" trap gun can be had for something less than $2300, but hey, who doesn't love a ridiculously expensive gun?[laugh]

I shoot sporting clays most of the time...I have ONCE hit 100 out of 100. It was a day of magic and mysticism .....

I figure I must have been cheating - but still cant figure out how [smile]

Well, I can say the "wrong gun" can hurt - a lot... But, just from a physics standpoint there's a limit to what a non-rifled barrel and shot can actually do...

The "right" choke can certainly give you a much more effective range/spread/pattern... I suspect the "perfect" trap gun can be had for something less than $2300, but hey, who doesn't love a ridiculously expensive gun?[laugh]

your right, wrong choice of words for me. i was thinking of how the better guns can/are better quality, straighter shooting etc. but as you said its more like the cheaper guns are worse guns, quality wise, and therefore can have a lot more that break down or don't shoot straight.

I shoot trap I always go once a week twice if I can get the time. my average is 23.
I started off shooting trap with a remington 870 which is a fine gun but have since upgraded to a winchester grand european o/u which is fitted to me and has made shooting alot more comfortable espically when I shoot 6 to 7 rounds on a sunday. But pratice pratice pratice is the best advice I can give .

I shoot trap I always go once a week twice if I can get the time. my average is 23.
I started off shooting trap with a remington 870 which is a fine gun but have since upgraded to a winchester grand european o/u which is fitted to me and has made shooting alot more comfortable espically when I shoot 6 to 7 rounds on a sunday. But pratice pratice pratice is the best advice I can give .

since i am not a member yet the only pratice i get are the days i shoot the trap.[sad]

Trap shooting

Trap Shooting is not a sport, it's an endless journey to ever higher levels of achievement and perfection. Kind of like Zen meditation, but 1 1/8 ounce of shot at a time.

The thing to remember is that there is not 25 birds, or 50 or whatever.

There is one bird. Think about your running total, or the last one, or the one that the shooter before you on the line got, and you've left the True Path. (And will be more likely to miss your next bird!)

Of course, it's easy to get back on the path. Just call "Pull!" again![wink]

Or, if the above is too intense, it's a good day out. Last weekend, my 10-year-old son cleaned my clock, two rounds in a row. I think I was happier with that than when I ran 50 straight.[smile]

If you've never tried it, Southborough Rod & Gun Club has Trap Thursday nights ( through September) and Sundays, year-round. Visitors always welcome, and equipment and instruction is available for potential Trap Addicts...errr.....Shooters, that is!

www.srgclub.com

Trap Shooting is not a sport, it's an endless journey to ever higher levels of achievement and perfection. Kind of like Zen meditation, but 1 1/8 ounce of shot at a time.

The thing to remember is that there is not 25 birds, or 50 or whatever.

There is one bird. Think about your running total, or the last one, or the one that the shooter before you on the line got, and you've left the True Path. (And will be more likely to miss your next bird!)

Of course, it's easy to get back on the path. Just call "Pull!" again![wink]

Or, if the above is too intense, it's a good day out. Last weekend, my 10-year-old son cleaned my clock, two rounds in a row. I think I was happier with that than when I ran 50 straight.[smile]

If you've never tried it, Southborough Rod & Gun Club has Trap Thursday nights ( through September) and Sundays, year-round. Visitors always welcome, and equipment and instruction is available for potential Trap Addicts...errr.....Shooters, that is!

www.srgclub.com

true, like i think i said before, i started getting nervous because i knew i had a chance to get them all. [smile] I had no idea about the 45 in a row till i missed and it was pointed out to me. i had on idea because i hit the last 15 of round 1, all 25 of round 2 and the first 5 of the 3rd. it was broken up into 3 rounds not like being close to 2 perfect rounds, so i didn't even notice it.

I have shot trap and plan to do so again. I have shot 25 straight occasionally but not on a regular basis. I enjoy it but have not been able to get out there recently.

My longest run was 75, I used to shoot a ton of trap but now it's mostly skeet.

My best 25 in a row was with a gun I was shooting for the very first time!

I shoot once or twice a week in Sharon if you ever want to join us.

I shoot trap a lot to keep from getting rusty by bird season. If you have more than one shot, don't count the clays you "wing," unless you dust them on a follow-up shot. A lot of upland birds have hard plates in their back, and getting a 2nd shot off quickly will help you get wounded birds down. For even more difficulty have the clay thrown without your call (randomly) in doubles.

My longest run was 75, I used to shoot a ton of trap but now it's mostly skeet.

My best 25 in a row was with a gun I was shooting for the very first time!

I shoot once or twice a week in Sharon if you ever want to join us.

great shooting!! i have only used this gun for the 5 Sundays I've shot so not to bad. thanks for the offer. does your club charge visitors to shoot a round and if so how much? i might like to see how other places are set up.

I shoot trap a lot to keep from getting rusty by bird season. If you have more than one shot, don't count the clays you "wing," unless you dust them on a follow-up shot. A lot of upland birds have hard plates in their back, and getting a 2nd shot off quickly will help you get wounded birds down. For even more difficulty have the clay thrown without your call (randomly) in doubles.

that's one big reason i have been doing it. last year was my first year hunting and while i did get a pheasant, i know i need to increase my skills.

I do have a pump, which i used once when i tried skeet, but i let my friend use my pump when we do the trap and i use my single shot.

ok so today i go to shoot trap, its my 5th time going. I got a perfect round for the first time and at one point i hit 45 in a row.

so it got me thinking, who else here shoots trap and what's the best you have done? some of you must have done VERY WELL.

congrats where do you shoot

Ive been shooting trap since I got my 20gauge shotgun for my 10th birthday. I still perfer to shoot 20 gauge for trap. My best run was 3 straight. (75) which was purely luck. I have only shot about 4 days in the past year, due to both my schedule and the high cost of shells.

great shooting!! i have only used this gun for the 5 Sundays I've shot so not to bad. thanks for the offer. does your club charge visitors to shoot a round and if so how much? i might like to see how other places are set up.

Sharon Fish & Game

Trap and Skeet - $3/round (same price members and non-members)

Ammo is available at the club for $5.50/box

Back
Top Bottom