• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who hunts with crossbow in MA?

Do you miss a regular bow?

I missed most of archery season this year and half of it last year because of arthritis. I talked to my Dr. and she's ok with signing the form so I can use a crossbow but as you know once you go to crossbow in this state you can't go back to a bow.

I like bow hunting because I like the process of bow hunting. The prep work in the summer, tuning the bow, testing different spine and tip combos, sending a few hundred arrow at targets from different distances, from the roof of the house, under the shrub and so on. I owned a crossbow before and there isn't anywhere near as much that goes into it.

Does anyone regret putting in the crossbow paperwork and miss using a bow? Is hunting with a crossbow as much fun or at least close to as much as a compound or recurve?

What is the deal with that? Why doesn't the state allow you to go back to a regular bow once you're physically able again? That seems like a lawsuit all day long.

It's like asking the state for a wheelchair because you have two broken legs, then once they are healed the state says "No, you have to still use the wheelchair"

Does anyone regret putting in the crossbow paperwork and miss using a bow? Is hunting with a crossbow as much fun or at least close to as much as a compound or recurve?

I would go back in a heartbeat.

It's not as much fun but I would be on the couch without the crossbow. Crossbows are heavy and shaped like a "T" square so they are a ball to move through the woods with.

I have tried every sling type there is and nothing worked well. I now use a bungee and strap gizmo I made to hook it on the chest strap of my backpack so that carries the weight.

Crossbows are loud and have the same effective range for hunting as the compound bow. Because of their weight they are much harder to shoot off hand and most use a rest of some sort. I use a monopod.

You will need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow a the end of your hunt. Many people just throw a target and a practice arrow in the truck and shoot it off. Some carry a sacrificial arrow in their quiver and shoot it into the ground. Be careful doing this with carbon arrows as they can crack.

Make sure that you get a cocking rope. Cocking a crossbow by hand can cause the arrow to go left or right if the crossbow string isn't pulled back evenly. I also use the cocking rope to let down, or undock, the crossbow at the end of my hunt.

Crossbows are noisy compared to the verts. Some are noisier than others. You will be surprised if you have never shot one. The deer I have shot don't seem to mind the noise though.
012.gif
I never shoot mine at the end of the hunt from my stand. I only shoot from my stand if I am shooting at a deer. Crossbows are loud and there is no sense educating any nearby deer.

Crossbows are heavy and cumbersome in the woods. I typically shoot mine from a rest of some sort. I use a monopod when hunting on the ground and the shooting rail on my Summit Goliath.

DFI (Dry Fire Inhibitor) Most, not all, have a DFI today. Just like compound bows crossbows do not dry fire well.
DFI's make it difficult to uncock the xbow with the cocking rope. DFI's mean that the safest (according to some people anyway) way to "uncock" the crossbow at the end of the hunt is to fire it.

There are two basic types of crossbows. There are compound crossbows and recurve crossbows. I have an Excalibur Exocet which is a 200 lb recurve crossbow (no DFI). Recurve crossbows are wider, typically noisier, but they are easier to maintain and less subject to failure (less moving parts) than the compound crossbows IMO.

I like my recurve as I can do almost any maintenance I need without needing a crossbow press. I keep a spare string and the string changer in the truck so If I need to change my string in the field I can. The string I keep as a backup has been used so that it has already stretched and stable.
The string changer is necessary to change strings, I know obvious, and just as importantly to maintain the proper brace height. Brace height can affect the POI vertically.

After many string changes over the years I can say that putting on a string that has been broken in and setting the brace height does not effect the POI out to 50 yards.

I did have to replace my string once during a hunt. I walked back out to the truck, changed the string, set the brace height, and had a nice afternoon hunt. If I had a compound crossbow I would have been out of commission until I had gotten it to a shop with a press and a range trip.

There is some great videos here on Excalibur Crossbows:http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/videos
I specifically bought an Excalibur Crossbow because you can "uncock" it using the cocking rope. It is a snap and only takes a few seconds. Watch the video on how to uncock your crossbow. One of the things you will learn pretty quick is that if you are not hunting it is much easier to walk with an "uncocked" crossbow than it is when it is cocked.

A few words about crossbow arrows. Yes, they are properly called arrows; bolts have only two fletchings and were used in medieval times. Modern crossbow arrows use three.
Crossbow arrows are much shorter 20" or thereabouts so the are much more unstable than standard arrows used in regular compound bows. To stabilize these shorter arrows a much higher FOC (Front Of Center) balance is needed. While the average vertical compound bow shoots an arrow that has an FOC of 10% to 15% a crossbow arrow requires more. My crossbow arrows are running 28% FOC.
http://archeryreport.com/2010/09/arrow-foc-basics-calculate/

When it comes to fletching a good strong helical or offset is recommended. Make sure that the fletching is short enough to clear the bottom of the groove in the crossbow rail. Also pay attention to the helical. Make sure that it isn't so severe that it rubs the inside of the rail.
I am shooting arrows that I make with a 4 degree right offset. I have tested Bhoning Blazers, 5" feathers, duravanes, turkey feathers, and Aerovanes. All of them flew very well out to 50 yards out of my Excalibur Exocet. My arrows are currently wearing Bhoning Blazers.
Broadhead selection is also critical. A low profile broadhead or mechanical is the way to go here. I have had good luck with Slick Tricks, Rage, and NAP Spitfires. My go to broadhead is the NAP Spitfire. A crossbow arrow launch is very violent, remember we are talking a 200lb draw here, so mechanical broadhead need to be tested to ensure that they will stay closed. Manufacturers now are specifically rating broadheads for crossbows. You should test the ones you are planning on using anyway.

A cocked crossbow is very cumbersome in the woods and you should never put any digits you want t keep. in the string path. Often referred to as the triangle of pain. People have actually lost the tip of their thumb at the joint by holding the forearm incorrectly. I have been nipped a couple of times, I am a slow learner apparently, and I will say that it smarts. Even a nip will leave a blood blister and take a good chunk of the nail. Been there done that.

At sunset I just take the arrow off the rail and I "uncock" the crossbow and walk out of the woods.
I hunt in my Summit Goliath with my Excalibur crossbow without any issues. I set the seat as low as it will go and I use the rail as a brace to shoot. I cock my crossbow on the ground and I pull it up cocked (no arrow on the rail).

I can and have "cocked"/"uncocked" the crossbow in the stand. Once legal shooting time has ended I "uncock" the crossbow and then I let it down. Crossbows are loud so you rarely get a second shot. I never have anyway.
They can be re-cocked in the tree but it takes a little practice. It pass it out over the rail and pull the butt of the crossbow up under the rail setting the stirrup on the bottom platform and cock the crossbow. I then reverse the process.

As far as brands go you will be fine if you stick with the major brands. Excalibur, Tenpoint, Parker, etc. My dad has a Parker Terminator and he has been happy with it.
Dan Miller is the US warranty representative for Excalibur Crossbows in the US. His business is called Horizontal Archery in Sardis Ohio, (740) 483-2312. If you are in the US and you need something for an Excalibur crossbow call DanMiller. Dan doesn't have a website and the best way to reach him is via telephone.
Another great resource is David at Wyvern Creations. David carries a full line of crossbows and accessories.
Wyvern Creations, LLC
235 North River Road
Lee, NH 03861
603-659-0575
http://www.wyverncreations.com/
I have done business with both many times over the years and have both to be honest, fair, and terrific people to do business with. Both are a true library of information when it comes to crossbows.
This should be a decent primer and get you off to a good start.

Bob

I would go back in a heartbeat.

Bob

Thanks! So no strong feelings on the topic?

This is what I'm worried about. I'm not this bad all the time but it's eaten into the last 2 seasons so I have to make a call on it at some point. If I don't put in for it and miss next season I'll be kicking myself. If I put in for it and I'm ok next season I'll be dragging a crossbow through the brush kicking myself.

I have some homework to do I guess. I had a crossbow when I was younger but they've changed so much I don't know if any of what I remember is relevant. It was an "auto cocking" crossbow that I could load and unload in the drivers seat of a pinto but it ate strings faster than I could get money to buy them. Also I never hunted with it so I had no idea of everything involved. I didn't have to be quiet shooting targets in a field.

I have a few months to think it through before next season catches up.

What is the deal with that? Why doesn't the state allow you to go back to a regular bow once you're physically able again? That seems like a lawsuit all day long.

It's like asking the state for a wheelchair because you have two broken legs, then once they are healed the state says "No, you have to still use the wheelchair"
it's mAss everything here is FUBAR

I believe you can only get the permit is if your claiming PERMANENT disabilities. Doubt a broken leg/arm would qualify unless you had a shade tree doctor that would fudge the paperwork.

I believe you can only get the permit is if your claiming PERMANENT disabilities. Doubt a broken leg/arm would qualify unless you had a shade tree doctor that would fudge the paperwork.
So you get to miss a season of deer hunting because you broke your arm saving kids from a burning school bus? Seems legit. o_O

Exactly correct it must be permanent. The form is very clear. I have never heard of them denying one.

So you get to miss a season of deer hunting because you broke your arm saving kids from a burning school bus? Seems legit. o_O

Yup. That's Mass for you. I was initially issued a laminated card to present when I got checked. Now they print it on your license.

Bob

Don't sweat it admin. They are talking letting ABLE BODY FOLKS using crossbows. They think us handicapped folks are getting an unfair advantage. Ya right. Also original cards were quite large, then wallet size and now it is on our sporting permits.

I know, however there are conditions that people can recover from that would allow them to use a bow in the future. This completely prevents that from happening.

It's degenerative disc disease, a form of arthritis. It's perminant but it isn't always inflamed to the point I can't lift and draw a bow yet. When it is it can last weeks and like this year it can cause me to miss archery season completely. My Dr didn't blink when I mentioned it. She sees me often enough that it's not a surprise and would have signed it years ago if I asked.

Like I said in the op, I like hunting with a bow. A crossbow is just so I don't miss another season.

So my choice is don't get the crossbow permit and hope things are good come next season or give up using a bow for hunting for the rest of my life even though I might be in good shape to use it next year.

I love some of these forums. Folks don't read what was in a post or are NOT from the state in question, and have to post their opinion which amounts to just talk. IMHO

I missed most of archery season this year and half of it last year because of arthritis. I talked to my Dr. and she's ok with signing the form so I can use a crossbow but as you know once you go to crossbow in this state you can't go back to a bow.

I like bow hunting because I like the process of bow hunting. The prep work in the summer, tuning the bow, testing different spine and tip combos, sending a few hundred arrow at targets from different distances, from the roof of the house, under the shrub and so on. I owned a crossbow before and there isn't anywhere near as much that goes into it.

Honestly.....as far as the MA law goes....I'd ignore it. If you can go back to a regular bow once healed...who cares. Unless you see game wardens all the time or something, I mean really.........What is a game warden going to do, fine you for hunting with a tougher implement? My buddy said the same thing, and I asked him, how many game wardens have you seen hunting MA in 30 years of bowhunting, yeah...0. Me too. To each his own with that....but I wouldn't give it a second thought of going back and forth.

I've hunted with both, (not in MA, but CT) The crossbow has advantages and disadvantages. You become a one shot wonder with it. I was sitting a stand in CT with the crossbow and shot a decent buck. The deer didn't react, I didn't see the bolt. I had no idea what happened. I thought I had missed. The deer just stood there. Now I was thinking I should have brought my regular bow because I would have gotten a second shot. Long story short, 30 seconds later the deer's rear legs buckled and he fell over....but I've never seen a reaction like that to a double lung shot. Ever...so I thought I missed.

The advantages.....what used to be a disadvantage is getting better, they used to be heavy, bulky, unbalanced... They are not big bulky things anymore. The new bullpup stuff from Excalibur is really small, light and compact and balanced. My buddy bought one and has already taken a nice 8 with it. I shot it and it's sweet, actually compared it to the old Micro and it's balanced a ton better.

Distance and accuracy....yes you have one shot, but if it's clear and you don't have trash in the way....40+ yards is no problem, much more accurately than the average archer shooting a regular bow. With a shouldered stock and a trigger, there is little, dropping the bow arm, sloppy release, crappy mechanics, not bending at the waist, etc.... Also, most of them are scoped, which again allows greater accuracy, and maybe you'll see that stick in the way and not shoot and wound.

Is it easier....yes... and you don't have to practice as much, but as you get older things get harder anyway, take the extra practice time and use it scouting or something. That's what I had to tell my father when he took up the crossbow, after hunting with recurves for 40 years. Truth is, it kept him in the field another 5 years, when he would have been sitting on the couch, and he took 3 beautiful big bucks with the crossbow...all good memories. I think that's the important part, what are your other options?? struggle and wound a deer (and yourself) with a regular bow you can't shoot right, sit on the couch, or take up the Xbow and go hunting.

Last edited:
I've hunted with both, (not in MA, but CT) The crossbow has advantages and disadvantages. You become a one shot wonder with it. I was sitting a stand in CT with the crossbow and shot a decent buck. The deer didn't react, I didn't see the bolt. I had no idea what happened. I thought I had missed. The deer just stood there. Now I was thinking I should have brought my regular bow because I would have gotten a second shot. Long story short, 30 seconds later the deer's rear legs buckled and he fell over....but I've never seen a reaction like that to a double lung shot. Ever...so I thought I missed.

The advantages.....what used to be a disadvantage is getting better, they used to be heavy, bulky, unbalanced... They are not big bulky things anymore. The new bullpup stuff from Excalibur is really small, light and compact and balanced.

Thanks. I'm not sure about taking my chances with the game warden though. I do see them on occasion although not from my tree stand yet.

Those Excaliburs look pretty sweet. Maybe I'll put off putting in the application another year to save up for one. I already blew my fun money for this year on a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros so I don't know if I could get another grand past the wife. It's good to know there not the oversized bricks I remember though.

It printed on your licenses now.

Aren't there any real live people that you buy a license from now? How can a license be printed with something if you just buy a hunting license without a bow capability?
It's been a while since I bought an archery license, but then it was just a hunting license with archery as an add on. Are you referring to an online buy?

Aren't there any real live people that you buy a license from now? How can a license be printed with something if you just buy a hunting license without a bow capability?
It's been a while since I bought an archery license, but then it was just a hunting license with archery as an add on. Are you referring to an online buy?

There is no "archery" license in Massachusetts. You buy your hunting/sporting license and if you want to use archery equipment you buy an additional archery stamp. There is also a stamp for muzzle loaders. If you want to hunt bear and turkeys there is a special permit for each.

I buy the sporting license online thst covers hunting and fishing and print it out on my printer. When I print my license and tags the license has "disabilities: crossbow" printed on it.

It has been a long time since you have bought a license. The state has made many changes to save money. The days of buying a license and stamps at the town hall have been gone for a long time; a decade at least.

Bob

Last edited:

It really depends on your definition of "fun". If fun means challenging, no, crossbow is much easier to shoot compared to recurve or compound. However, if you are having arthritis problems it may be best to just get you a crossbow. The most challenging part on a recurve or compound is getting a good kill shot. In my opinion, crossbows are a bit easier to get a good kill shot because they're set up similar to a gun.

However, that said, I invested into a blood tracking light that has made finding the animals afterwards much easier. Whether a good kill shot or not, they rarely drop if you aren't using a gun (as you probably already know). The one I have has a regular illumination mode and a blood tracking mode and can double as a long range or flood light as needed. I got it from this website if you are interested: Blood Hound Blood Tracking Light

Good luck bow hunting and keep us posted on what you decide!

And then there are people that don't fill out their profile so you don't know where they are from.

Bob
I live in Mass. I have archery-disability-crossbow on my lics. and have for a few years. Any one that says/thinks it just like a rifle is talking through his butt. The ONLY real benefit is you cock it beforehand and are ready to shoot. HUGE drawback is no quick second shot. Yup, being disabled is a real hoot :-(.......We get all the benefits. If Mass. isn't exact enough for ya ,try rte 2 conn. river junction. Happy New year all. Stash

Mass again is just screwing people. Why cant you use a Crossbow in Firearm season and then a standard Bow in Bow season? I do it in Maine all the time. If you have a disability that is temporary for a few years, they should allow you to go back. Sh*t I had an elbow joint ripped apart and couldnt pull a bow for a few years so I went with crossbow to still get out during Bow season, I love the recurve and its not that heavy or cumbersome at all. You still need to get a close shot and Ive take some great deer with both types of bows. Good luck hunting!

I use one, imho I’d go with Excalibur. No need to get complicated compound setup. They are robust and not that big to carry through the woods. I hang mine on my pack and it’s fine. If you tweak the silencers it is that much louder than a bow. The beauty of the recurve is if you drop it or bump it depending on if you hike to go hunting etc the thing is indestructible. Anyway my two cents. While I miss a pure bow it gets me out there.

Anyone know where the pending crossbow legislation is at? I thought I had heard it's up for debate this summer.

Passed the Senate went to the house Ways and Means on January 22, 2018. Sadly we will likely get ERPO instead.

Bill S.2249

I use one, imho I’d go with Excalibur. No need to get complicated compound setup. They are robust and not that big to carry through the woods. I hang mine on my pack and it’s fine. If you tweak the silencers it is that much louder than a bow. The beauty of the recurve is if you drop it or bump it depending on if you hike to go hunting etc the thing is indestructible. Anyway my two cents. While I miss a pure bow it gets me out there.

Love my Excalibur Exocet.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom