Who hunts with crossbow in MA?

I've had the crossbow permit for at least a dozen years due to back and shoulder issues. I am now quite able to pull a compound but I much prefer the crossbow.
There is only one Xbow to buy as far as I'm concerned. It might be like flying a 747 through the woods but the limbs are guaranteed for life. Go with a vixen. More than fast enough to zip thru a deer at 30 yards and smaller than the rest of the Excalibur line. The thing I like most is that you can swap out the string in five minutes W/O a press.

What is the deal with that? Why doesn't the state allow you to go back to a regular bow once you're physically able again? That seems like a lawsuit all day long.

It's like asking the state for a wheelchair because you have two broken legs, then once they are healed the state says "No, you have to still use the wheelchair"
You’re right.

But my buddy had shoulder surgery and won’t be able to use his bow. If he goes crossbow, he can never go back even after he’s healed. How MA knows, I don’t know. But he’s out for this season. Bummer for him.

I'm having some left shoulder problems this year (strained it at the gym). But I'm still able to use the compound. I have no interest in going to the Dr. and getting a note for a crossbow permit. I don't want to be FORCED to use one for the rest of my life here in MA. I like my compound and tuning, shooting, making arrows, etc. it is a lot of fun that I don't want to lose access to.

Bowhunting, nothing else like it.
Tore my shoulder when I was younger, still cant pull a bow.
Took me almost 10 years to get over my friends making fun of me before i got a crossbow.
But st least i am back in the stand, during the best part of the season.

I've been using one for a few years. Taken a couple deer and assorted small game. Not a rifle for sure. If you can't miss a season don't whine about the law.

I'm having some left shoulder problems this year (strained it at the gym). But I'm still able to use the compound. I have no interest in going to the Dr. and getting a note for a crossbow permit. I don't want to be FORCED to use one for the rest of my life here in MA. I like my compound and tuning, shooting, making arrows, etc. it is a lot of fun that I don't want to lose access to.

no one is forcing you to do anything. the law states only someone with a PERMANENT disability technically qualifies for a cross bow permit. agree that it isn't the best law in the world but at least it's quite specific and clear.

no one is forcing you to do anything. the law states only someone with a PERMANENT disability technically qualifies for a cross bow permit. agree that it isn't the best law in the world but at least it's quite specific and clear.
So he has to give up the entire season because of an injury or get stuck using a crossbow the rest of his life. Great comment, brings a lot to the forum.

What part of PERMANENT doen't you folks get????? I would give all I own to be able shoot a regular bow again. Un freaking real.........

So he has to give up the entire season because of an injury or get stuck using a crossbow the rest of his life. Great comment, brings a lot to the forum.

so yeah, according to the law yes you do have to give up bow season if you get injured, becuase if it's not permanent, you shouldn't be getting a xbow permit. it sucks. i don't disagree. your sarcasm doesn't bring a lot to bear either. just simply posting what the law states. believe it or not, i did not ink the statute.

Apparently MA and NH are the only two states east of the Mississippi where you need an injury to use a crossbow.

Back
Top Bottom