Who wants a 500 S&W Lever Action Carbine?

From 2016:

If I had a 4" .500 revolver it would be cool to have a rifle to go with it, but I would want a regular one with a normal length barrel, not that tacti cool version.

.44 mag is plenty for me though and .357 is really more than enough for anything in New England except maybe a pissed off bull moose.

Sure I love big bore levers, but why this and not 45-70?

Really why any pistol cartridge and not a hard hitting rifle caliber instead?
Everyone offers a 45/70 lever already. Why offer the same?

These guys also offer a .460, that is what I want.

If it was a takedown. I imagine the AK bush pilots would buy them all. .500 S&W gets near 12 gauge slug power levels. I've said for a couple of years that a 500 S&W levergun would be slick.

If it was a takedown. I imagine the AK bush pilots would buy them all. .500 S&W gets near 12 gauge slug power levels. I've said for a couple of years that a 500 S&W levergun would be slick.
That’s what I’m thinking. Is it cool? Hell yeah! However, if you wanted one for bears or moose, why not just get a rifled 12 gauge? 3” magnum shells will drop anything outside of Africa

12 month wait time is...long. Meanwhile, Cabelas has S&W 500 in stock today.
12 month wait? Cabelas?

First... Gunbroker has a bunch of BFR. No wait.

Second ... dude, Cabelas? - f*ck that place.

Third ... the new SW will probably cost you around $1,400-1,500 (or more), compared to a higher quality BFR at $1,200.

If you are still stuck on a SW 500, give your money to a NES member. @CrackPot had one, maybe he still has it.

That would be sweet.

First... Gunbroker has a bunch of BFR. No wait.

Second ... dude, Cabelas? - f*ck that place.

Third ... the new SW will probably cost you around $1,400-1,500 (or more), compared to a higher quality BFR at $1,200.

If you are still stuck on a SW 500, give your money to a NES member. @CrackPot had one, maybe he still has it.
Not so.
According to GunBroker Serach of 500 caliber revolvers, there is currently just 1 BFR and 35 S&W revolvers. The only BFR on there is used(not new) and has a starting bid of $1450.

Regardless, the revolver would not be my first purchase but rather a complimentary purchase for the Big Horn lever-action hotness! I would go for the stubby barrel too.

Sure I love big bore levers, but why this and not 45-70?

Really why any pistol cartridge and not a hard hitting rifle caliber instead?
Because with a pistol cal rifle.....you share the same ammo as......your pistol.

These have been around for a while, I would go with the .460 to go along with my wheel gun but I don't want one bad enough at over 2k........well......maybe I do!

.44 magnum is enough for me. Or maybe too much. I have a weird handgun grip where I lay the thumb of my support hand against the left side plate of the gun right behind the cylinder latch. Don't ask, it's just the way I do it...or used to do it until the day I shot my buddy's model 27 that was loaded with 300 grain Barnes solid bullets and way too much 296 or Blue Dot or whatever. The muzzle blast was incredible as was the pain when my thumbnail hit the cylinder latch and split from the end of the nail all the way to the cuticle. My thumb looked like a frog after it had a fire cracker in its mouth.
It took me about two seconds to learn a new grip and about two years to lose the flinch.

last time i checked ammo for the 500 was crazy stupid expensive. that was over 5 years ago. dies and new empty brass was a little less crazy stupid but still in the stupid realm. i worked with a guy at the time who owned one and was going broke feeding it.

I’m not sure if tactical and lever action belong in the same sentence. Looks cool though. What does it hold like 4 shots?

For real time use I take a pump shotgun any day of the week…

last time i checked ammo for the 500 was crazy stupid expensive. that was over 5 years ago. dies and new empty brass was a little less crazy stupid but still in the stupid realm. i worked with a guy at the time who owned one and was going broke feeding it.
My friend just bought a 500. He started reloading so I helped him set up. here's what we've come up for cost(I'm rounding up to nearest 10c):
  • New brass. 70c
  • New bullets 40c
  • 45grains of powder 30c,
  • Primer is 10c
Total is $1.50/round for the first load and $0.80/round for all consecutive reloads.

Current ammo prices for 500S&W are $3.00/round. Two months ago, it was $7.00.

Times like the last year are the reason one should learn to reload non-standard calibers. Even in the worst of times, which in my mind was Feb-Mar of last year, one could still find 9mm and 223 ammo. Everything else was gone.

Back
Top Bottom