Who would you have build a 1911 for you?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I still have the NES 1911 frame and slide from the group buy a year or two ago that has been taking up space in my safe. Time to rectify the situation and finally get her built up. I'm looking for some recommendations on a quality gunsmith who knows his/her way around a 1911 and can build me up a nice sweet shooter.

So as the title says, if you were to have someone build you a 1911, who would you choose. I would prefer it to be someone local or at least in the New England area. Not looking for someone who has a TV show or something where I'm paying extra money just for the honor of having this person work on my gun, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

Had a 1911 built and experienced many issues with it not functioning properly. Finally took it to Greg Derr, I would highly recommend him, he was great to work with and got all the problems in the gun squared away. Be careful where you go, as I learned the hard way!

Having looked at and shot a few different 1911's that Lou over @ B.E.C. has built, I'd have no second thoughts whatsoever about having him build me a gun.

Les Baer Custom. Just picked it up last week. Les baer UTC. Hard Chrome. 1.5" guarantee.

IMGP0936.jpg

IMGP0941.jpg

Les Baer will built off someone else frame and slide?

That would be incorrect. Do your research!

"At first, frames and slides were provided by a vendor, but in 1993 Baer purchased a machine shop in his home town of Allentown, Pa., and by mid '94 he was making those too. The shop has grown to occupy 28,000 square feet and holds 16 CNC machine centers."

That would be incorrect. Do your research!
"

You see that little "question mark" in my post. That means it was a question, not a statement. A question I knew the answer to, but I also knew you couldn't help yourself as coming off as a pompous jackass with your inevitable reply. So thanks for making it so easy

Are you sure your Baer frame has been heat treated?

You see that little "question mark" in my post. That means it was a question, not a statement. A question I knew the answer to, but I also knew you couldn't help yourself as coming off as a pompous jackass with your inevitable reply. So thanks for making it so easy

Are you sure your Baer frame has been heat treated?

No I did not see the question mark. If you knew the answer then you would have posted it so I guess you never really knew the answer. Grow up! Only children revert to name calling! I could care less if the frame is heat treated.

I would take the Vickers Tactical 1911 Gunsmithing class. From Vickers Tactical website...
1911 gunsmithing; – 6 days- $2375 This picks up where the armorers course leaves off and allows the student to build a complete custom 1911 from a box of oversize gunsmith fit parts; complete details of fitting an oversize match barrel, slide to frame fit, fitting and blending thumb and grip safeties, trigger job, complete blending of all components for a custom pistol are covered. In addition metal checkering is discussed and practiced on a limited scale. Recommended parts and sources are also covered. This is the complete package and is a great start to anyone wanting to do get into building custom 1911′s. Students of this course have had very positive comments thus far. Max class size is 7 and a specific tool and part list (student supplied) is part of this course.

When you are done, you have handbuilt your own custom 1911 under the guidance and hands-on instruction of a master 1911 builder. And you spend an entire week learning all kinds of larryisms.

Back
Top Bottom