• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are cleaning patch so popular in the U.S.?

sbi

They are super stupid and annoying, yet you can hardly find an alternative in stores.

This is what they use in Israel for example. No one there heard of patches. This stuff is 100 times more absorbent than patches, you can rip it to any size you want, so much easier.

I am curious, what do people here use, patches or some other cloth/rag type?

The real question is......What is the correct way to hang the roll?

41Cm-LZfRSL._SS36_.jpg

Old T-shirts or socks for me as well. The price is right.

Bob

I am not going to sit around cutting up anything to save a nickel when I cost a dollar. I buy patches from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies decent price for real cotton flannel patches and they don't leave strings all over the place either like their cheaper competition. Hit their Ebay store or if you go to their website they have super deals once in a awhile.

Looks like a bunch of potential patches on a roll that you have to cut yourself. Im in the old t-shirt camp as well.

Seems like chopping up old shirts would be a PITA. Patches are cheap enough, especially when compared to all the other supplies.

I am not going to sit around cutting up anything to save a nickel when I cost a dollar. I buy patches from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies decent price for real cotton flannel patches and they don't leave strings all over the place either like their cheaper competition. Hit their Ebay store or if you go to their website they have super deals once in a awhile.
Exactly. My hourly rate is considerably more than the cost of patches.

They are super stupid and annoying, yet you can hardly find an alternative in stores.

This is what they use in Israel for example. No one there heard of patches. This stuff is 100 times more absorbent than patches, you can rip it to any size you want, so much easier.

Because we make life simpler.

1. What you linked ARE cleaning patches.
2. Unlike the nicely pre-cut patches we use, you have to cut these.

How is that easier to use?

SmartSelect_20190307-214239_Amazon Shopping.jpg

'MERICA STILL WINS!

america-f***-yeah-memes-com-13888225.png

"We don't need no stinking patches."
Really? This is an argument?

What I use:
Bore-Snake brand stuff
bronze brushes of appropriate size
cotton bore swabs for shotguns

I have patches around because my Dad used them - once they're gone, they're gone...

ok so your average 30 cal patch is around 1 3/4" - just under 2" so even if you cut these perfectly at even 1 inch, 39 yards your only going to get about 1400 or so patches.
I just bought 1.34" 30 call 100% cotton flannel patches for $18 shipped. I can toss some in small bags and put them in several places. Or buy a roll cut off a lengths and then find the scissors? I will take the patches.
I will add also that roll looks like the fibers are on the loose side and the small frayed pieces look like they will snag and stick to everything.

For quick after range use I use a bore snake thats got oil on it. For cleaning I use a patch ang jag.If its really dirty a brush also.

Old white cotton T Shirts that are worn out. I put one on every day after work and on the weekends if I can. So I have a shxt ton of them. Scissors are handy and I cut them as I clean.

I use the cotton mops that screw onto a cleaning rod. Very hard to beat for ease and results. When the get dirty, I put them into a cloth, net, bag and throw the whole mess into the washing machine. When they dry, they're good to go again.

Once you go bore snake, you never go back..
I use both a snake(or Otis version) and patches/brushes depending on the amount of cleaning needed. Short range session gets the snake. Long session probably gets brushes and patches. I also have plenty of patches from the last time I bought some. Plus some old t-shirts that are candidates for conversion.

Once you go bore snake, you never go back..
Until you realize your wiping your ass with the same TP sheet over and over again... Bore snakes dont really clean your barrel they might pick up some spent powder and smear the gunk around , i do have them and use them when im lazy.
I have shifted use for them. I bascally saturated the end with CLP and use it to apply some rust preventive measures after cleaning.

How is that easier?

With a bag of patches I reach in the bag and grab one....place it on the jag and run it.

With your roll you have to rip or cut them to the size you need!

Also with a bag of em I can take a handful to the club without cutting or ripping them off the roll

My question to you is why don't You use patches? They come in caliber specific sizes no cutting to size at all.

81mPqs8owML._SL1500_.jpg

I try to buy those patches that come in the assortment bag that have like 4 different sizes.

Even a small bag of those things last me a long time but then again there's not that many guns that I clean obsessively....

Santa Clause has been bringing me patches and cleaning supplies at a rate higher than I can use them. My cleaning methods change depending on the weapon. So, don't bash on the used tee shirt crowd, whatever works for the individual and keeps your stuff clean is good!

Back
Top Bottom