• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are so many Glocks in play?

Just an intellectual curiosity - I notice the for sale board is peppered with glocks for sale, more so than any other handgun brand.

Why do you think this is?

Is it because they are immensely popular? Inexpensive?
Are glocks most peoples "first" handgun who then trade up?
is it due to the tight laws in MA, and hence there's not much else to trade?

Interested to know which reason you think is dominant. Feel free to provide your insight and remember to keep it clean.

Last edited:
I would def say popular and inexpensive(not all the time in Mass though) When you are start getting above 600$ I would personally start looking at Sig(or another brand)...but its personal preference..and the price meets the demand..I own a Glock 26 and love it..Although I did just get the newly released P250 SubCompact..and let me say...its a great shooter..the Glock might get put away for a bit.

I think the availability of Pre-Ban Hi-Caps makes them popular too!

If I had to guess, I would say it was the large quantity of mass ok glocks that have enter the state lately. With all the DPD Glock 22 and 23s. And a bunch of 3rd gen g17s. People have moved their collections around.

Add to that all the panic buying of the past year, and there's a whole buch of guns in people collections they want to move....

Just my .02

It's always been that way.

I think it's because many newbies buy Glock .40s before they realize that no good can come of it.

this

and I'm being serious. i bought a Glock 22 as my first handgun handgun. definatley a learning curve to shoot right off the bat [laugh]

after shooting a couple different guns, i realized it wasn't practical to carry outside of winter months and expensive to shoot vs. 9mm. plus the grip angle on the glock takes some getting used (IMO)

after a couple months of trying a few different guns, i realized i made a mistake. i should have kept my glock and eventually came back home to a G23 (also in fotay).

it's versatile, light, simple and small enough to hide 85% of the time...

every shooter should have at least one glock and one 1911 [devil2]

lol.. My 2nd purchase was a Glock, and it is still my favorite. The price in Mass for a used Glock is still way above the retail price in any other state. There are people willing to pay for something they can't get, and there are also the people more than willing to take advantage of that fact.

lol.. My 2nd purchase was a Glock, and it is still my favorite. The price in Mass for a used Glock is still way above the retail price in any other state. There are people willing to pay for something they can't get, and there are also the people more than willing to take advantage of that fact.

+1

True for me as well, at least until recently. My 2nd handgun was a Glock 23, and it became my favorite once I switched it to 9mm (nod to EC). That is, until recently when I bought my first K-Frame.

I've definitely noticed an upswing in Glock availability in our classifieds - especially 3rd Gen. To me, it seemed to coincide with the release of the 4th Gen. Maybe LEO's unloading them into the marketplace?

When I decide on a defensive firearm I base my decision on 4 main criteria:

1) Reliability

2) Accuracy

3) Price

4) Capacity

Obviously in MA our hands are tied with selection, but when I see that list...Glock comes out on top everytime. A USP or Sig may have the slightest advantage in accuracy in some models or in someone else's hands, but not worth it to me for the inflated prices.
Sigs feel great and are aestically appealing, but I can't justify spending the extra $2-300 one one if it's gonna try to be doing the same role as a Glock.
Same thing with HK's, shot them and like them, but price becomes the factor.

Glocks are utilitarian in how they are the right tool to get the job done. If I was gonna be hiking or camping, I'd much rather have a Glock on my hip knowing that it could handle the weather, and if I slipped and scratched it, it would be adding character as opposed to ruing a beautiful Sig!

All that said, I'm willing to pay the price for a s&w 1911 Compact ES when I have the cash cuz I just want one. Heart wants what it wants.

As of right now though, I don't see myself EVER spending the ~$700 for a G27....that's just too damn high as I've seen in my local shop. It's a shame that we have these inflated prices because of assinine regs

I bought my G27 because it was a refurb with bright Trijicons and can take a KKM or LW drop-in conversion barrel (open to suggestions on that). I could have gotten an M&P compact, but I didn't want to futz around with getting a trigger job.

Glocks are celebrity's in the gun world, Everybody knows what your talking about when you mention Glock.

Personally, I don't own any. I can't justify spending more than retail for a used gun just because I live in Ma. and would rather buy a gun that is actually worth the money. That being said, if I were in a free state things might be different. They have a lot of great features and are proven reliable (besides .40's) not to mention the never-ending aftermarket for them.

People probably sell Glocks first because they can get most of their money back, and they also turn over quickly. They are also easy to replace even if they end up having sellers remorse later on.

Glocks are also extremely popular in MA because of the preban mag thing. They are one of the few polymer framed handguns where you can get preban normal capacity mags for them rather easily.

-Mike

Last edited:
There are so many glocks for sale because there are so many suckers out there.

People that pay $200+ over new retail for a used gun should really get their heads examined.
When that stops, the sellers will go away.

Also, I think many people with glock access (leo's etc.) can sell the gun they bought for $550 for $700 and buy a new gen 4 for $550.

My choice in Glock is because they are cheap, and honestly, I don't really care about them, I can abuse them and not feel bad if it gets scratched up.

And should the worst case happen, I know the pd is taking my gun for the investigation. They are not going to treat my $1400 custom 1911 with any respect, and I really don't think once in their possesion, I'll ever see it again. With the Glock, oh well grab another one for cheap and I'm on my way.

Glocks are excellent pistols. I've fired many different types on handguns, and Glock is by far my favorite. I have 4, and the collection will continue to grow.

I liked mine a crap load. I reload and got sick of repairing the brass, so I could reuse it. 40 s&w... Did like the 16rnd mags...Made as much for the 7 prebans as I did for the pistol.

Because they get into guns and think "I needs a Glock fotay yo". Then they realize it feels like the plastic box their 119 piece Harbor Freight socket set came in and they'd rather have a SIG, 1911 or S&W revolver.

[smile]

Last edited:
Glocks are a "Right of Passage" like the local "Hot-Spot" barroom you gotta go to when you turn 21.
...Its cool for a while then you move on.....[grin]

LOL, I put that many rounds thru mine between cleanings.
-Cuz.

I'd like to see the innards of your gun someday! Maybe if I'm lucky it will screw up on your while we are neck and neck at the next match. LOL

Back
Top Bottom