• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are so many Glocks in play?

No...I'm telling you there are far fewer of them, which in part, is why I haven't come across an article on one. There are far fewer of them, because the trigger sensititivity on an M&P is nowhere near as skittish as that of the Glocks.
Well, there is "a reason" one could arguably ascribe the M&P as being slightly less prone to NDs (WRT to takedown mechanism), but that ain't it. Horse-hockey...

Even with a 3.5lb trigger, my glocks aren't "skittish"... Same goes for the "stock" trigger.

The gun fires when I pull the trigger. It has a trigger safety to help ensure my finger is actually on the trigger as well.

FTR - I own both M&P and Glocks and I like them both.

Last edited:
I was considering a used Glock, but opted for the M&P compact. New gun with 4 magazines (2 from rebate) for $489 ( you know where) vs a used 19 or 26 with 1 mag for $600 and $700. To be honest if I lived in another state I probably would have bought a new Glock 19, but I am happy with the M&P.

I'm in a similar boat. When I was buying my first semi, I really liked the 17 and 19, but couldn't justify the extra premium for a used Glock in MA. I ended up with a 92FS and picked up a bunch of prebans for much less.

No...I'm telling you there are far fewer of them, which in part, is why I haven't come across an article on one. There are far fewer of them, because the trigger sensititivity on an M&P is nowhere near as skittish as that of the Glocks.

The tendency of Glock 40s, in particular, to blow up is well known. I don't doubt some reloader's ability to blow up an M&P, but as you say, it will happen less often than with a Glock.

and if you actually research this claim, you will notice that:

1. There are so many more glocks in circulation than M&Ps that the percentage of glocks "blowing up" isn't actually an alarming number; and

2. The "blowing up" is more likely an ammo issue not a gun issue.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Well, there is "a reason" one could arguably ascribe the M&P as being slightly less prone to NDs (WRT to takedown mechanism), but that ain't it. Horse-hockey...

Even with a 3.5lb trigger, my glocks aren't "skittish"... Same goes for the "stock" trigger.

The gun fires when I pull the trigger. It has a trigger safety to help ensure my finger is actually on the trigger as well.

FTR - I own both M&P and Glocks and I like them both.

Some people understand that 'finger on the trigger' thing better than others. If it's not the light trigger pull in the hands of morons, I wonder what it could be.

and if you actually research this claim, you will notice that:

1. There are so many more glocks in circulation than M&Ps that the percentage of glocks "blowing up" isn't actually an alarming number; and

2. The "blowing up" is more likely an ammo issue not a gun issue.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

I understand that it's a touch subject and that not all Glock owners overload their reloads.

Some people understand that 'finger on the trigger' thing better than others. If it's not the light trigger pull in the hands of morons, I wonder what it could be.
True but...

The factory trigger isn't 3.5lbs - someone feel free to jump in on the stock weight, but to even get it down to 5 you need to install a connector.

Stock trigger weight on a standard Glock is 5.5lbs.

They offer 8.5 and (I believe) 11lbs triggers for "NYC Compliance"
They also offer a 3.5lbs trigger for target models (says right on the package not-for-carry/duty)

I don't have the facts behind the vast number of Glocks currently available on a number of sites, but here are some thoughts:

1) Glocks are very popular first handguns, thus there is a large number of them available
2) Used Glocks retain a fair amount of their original value because they share a reputation for high quality and reliability without having a high price.
3) A standard glock can be fairly easily replaced (less easily replaced in MA than in other parts of the country)
3) In current economic times, many gun owners are pressed into a position to sell a firearm, they are choosing a firearm that has retained a fair amount of the value they paid for it, will sell quickly and can be replaced if the money situation changes. Moving a $2000 custom 1911 for $1500 could take weeks to months. Moving a $600 glock for $450 (same ratio) should take days and in a couple of weeks, it'll likely move for $500.

Most buyers looking for a gun are looking for the most gun they can afford. Glocks have a good reputation combined with a reasonable price. Most of the less expensive guns have a poor reputation for reliability and quality while more expensive guns lose more of their added value in the used gun market because most people who are looking for those more expensive handguns are more interested in a new or like-new piece.

[rofl] There's really a big difference between about 5.5 pounds and 6.5 pounds? You really believe that?

The tendency of Glock 40s, in particular, to blow up is well known. I don't doubt some reloader's ability to blow up an M&P, but as you say, it will happen less often than with a Glock.

I'll agree with this, and some of it is a mystery, as a lot of them seem to blow up with even factory ammo. It wouldn't stop me from buying a .40 cal glock, if I really wanted one, though. The odds are sufficiently bad against a KB under controlled circumstances that it's not worth worrying about.

Given the (unfortunate, I might add) popularity of .40 S+W, the numbers of Glocks blowing up in that caliber isn't much of a surprise- it's still a relative tiny number of the whole. (the whole probably millions of guns. )

-Mike

No...I'm telling you there are far fewer of them, which in part, is why I haven't come across an article on one. There are far fewer of them, because the trigger sensititivity on an M&P in MA is nowhere near as skittish as that of the Glocks.

Fixed it for you.....for those guys that feel safe with those 15# MA M&P triggers.......

I've seen M&P's rust glocks dont due that

Not sure about the M+Ps (in relative terms) but I know for a fact that Glock and HK have traditionally beaten the others beaten hands down, in terms of corrosion resistance on their slides.

-Mike

I had an M&P9 and it jammed up plenty. However, I'm willing to attribute that to an anomaly. Also, in the case of that video, I'm thinking user error is highly probable based on the conversation.

I'd say jams are probably anomalous for most of the decent "above taurus/kel tec" handguns that are out there. Ever manufacturer turns out lemons here and there. It's just an illustrative point that you really gotta test something before trusting your life to it. (or your shooting game, whichever it might be... )

-Mike

I have seen a m&p at a gun store with rust on the slide and if you google it there are tons of people out there with rust issue even after a day of carrying it

The comment on the video said that it ended up being just the clip. I am not going to weigh in on the Glock vs M&P matter but I can say that even if the gun in the video was defective S&W would back it and fix it with no issue.

I have seen a m&p at a gun store with rust on the slide and if you google it there are tons of people out there with rust issue even after a day of carrying it

I doubt that's really the case, for most people. Apparently those guns are finished with melonite, and I never had a problem with it on the SW99 I had, and I carried it a lot. Now, if you're one of those folks with the interesting sweat chemistry, all bets are off. (I've met two people who have told me whatever is in their sweat/perspiration causes guns to rust, and I believe them..... ).

-Mike

I'd really liked to get a good look at one of those that rusted. The M&P slide is stainless (yes, I realize stainless rusts but it happens much, much more slowly than carbon steel) and it has melonite on top of that. I have a few guns with large swaths of bare stainless and none of them have rusted.

as far as the m&p goes who wants to own a full size gun with only a 10 round mag when you can buy a 17 and have 17 round mags not to mention you can take a glock apart in about 5 seconds try that with your m&P

I can take my M&P apart in much less than 5 seconds. And real men don't use 9mm.

Glocks can rust too... you're in denial.

S&W did have a batch of slides with a plating problem. Any returned to them (at S&W expense) were fixed and no further problems. No rust on mine and they aren't wiped down every time they are unholstered or put away.

Jams may also be ammo-related. There is a reported issue with Kahr PM9s and my theory (same as a buddy who owns one) is that they used 147 gr ammo which IIRC has a longer OAL and different nose shape. With any gun you really need to test out your ammo to see what works and what to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom