• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are so many gun stores closed Sundays & Mondays?

Could you imagine the advantage of being the only shop in the neighborhood open on those days? Spreads it around a little bit. Too bad they need to do this, but generally a wise business decision. The busiest shops are closed and the rest remain open to service the public. Promotes good public relations as well.

Back in 60s (I know, I know, these are different times), some retailers were only open 'till noon on *Saturday*, and some not at all. Never on Sunday...illegal...you'd lose your business license. The laws were shades of blue.

Skimmed this thread, sorry if someone already said this.....

I'm not entirely sure what the federal law is on this, but as far as I'm aware, MA says you have to be paid time-and-a-half for working Sundays and holidays. How many Monday holidays are there? How many small businesses want/can afford to pay their people 1.5x more, especially if the Sunday business just isn't at least 1.5x greater?

This. All barber shops are closed those days too.

When I was a kid barber shops were closed on Sunday and Wednesday. I believe Doctors didn't hold office hours on Wednesday either...then again they still made housecalls back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know the reason for this? It seems a very antiquated way of doing business.

I wish they had longer evening hours as well. And not just one night a week.

I have Sunday and Monday off and when I'm bored I like to visit gun shops. Guess where I end up? Not at the shops that are closed on Mondays.

Skimmed this thread, sorry if someone already said this.....

I'm not entirely sure what the federal law is on this, but as far as I'm aware, MA says you have to be paid time-and-a-half for working Sundays and holidays. How many Monday holidays are there? How many small businesses want/can afford to pay their people 1.5x more, especially if the Sunday business just isn't at least 1.5x greater?

Only if you have 7 or more employees, im guessing most gun shops have an average of 5 or 6 if that.

Plymouth Bay Outfitters is open Sundays.

This thread is F***ing retarded.

You don't like their hours, then open your own store.
No matter that they do, someone somewhere won't be happy. Too bad.

Plymouth Bay Outfitters is open Sundays.

This thread is F***ing retarded.

You don't like their hours, then open your own store.
No matter that they do, someone somewhere won't be happy. Too bad.

Agreed. I'm not reading through these mindless pages, but North Shore firearms is also open Sundays, so there's another. They get to work whatever hours they want and if you've ever stepped foot inside a gun shop you'd know how packed they are and can imagine how exhausted you'd be after 40hr week. Eeeesh what is it with NES lately?

Sent from my POS iPhone

My usual days off are Tues/Wed, so I have no complaints about gun shops closing on Sun/Mon. The real problem is the hours. Shops need to be more accomodating for those of us who work the midnight shift. If a shop opened at midnight it would be much more convienant for me.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

Shops need to be more accomodating for those of us who work the midnight shift. If a shop opened at midnight it would be much more convienant for me.
If you are working the midnight shift, wouldn't you be at work when the store is open? [rolleyes]

I'm pretty sure you're joking here... but I never know these days.

If you are working the midnight shift, wouldn't you be at work when the store is open? [rolleyes]

I'm pretty sure you're joking here... but I never know these days.

A) It would be convienant on my days off.
B) Completely joking.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

I'm not complaining about hours. Those guys run their show and they can be open whenever they feel like. I'm just saying that if I was running one I would have a range out back that you could "rent time" and be open on Saturdays and Sundays like a paintball shop and offer services like cleaning classes and sighting a weapon training. I would definitely be closed on Monday though and I would start my hours during the week around noon and be open until 8 p.m. or whenever the government told us we couldn't shoot on outdoor our range anymore.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom