• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are so many gun stores closed Sundays & Mondays?

He must be a communist. [laugh]

Just kidding.

When I use to get my haircut, my barber was always closed on Mondays.

I cut my own hair..... there's not much. But refuse to cut it on Sunday or Monday!

But in all seriousness its there shop they open and close when they want to I can rember in the past being yelled at that I refused to open our mattress stores on Sunday..... Sorry its our place we run it the way we want to.... welcome to the usa

Well as it was already said some larger shops have 10 or more employees, so instead of having "bob" work Wednesday day or night why couldn't he work Sunday morning? Etc....

The amount of "Larger Gun Shops" in upper New England that have 10 or more employees on their whole roster can be safely counted on one hand. They are a minority.

-Mike

Have you ever been in your local favorite gun shop and have NOT seen the owner there?

They need a day off too.

Chris

I think it is this. Its a lot of trust to leave someone in charge of your livelyhood for any period of time. My guess is that most shops don't want to open up the risk of not being there. Its not the employee's name on that FFL and business.

This is most likely the real reasons.

I remember having that discussion with the owner of my favorite Chinese restaurant. She was talking about opening another location . . . but she is on-site at her current location ~95% of the time and others that have tried to split themselves in two frequently have problems unless they have VERY TRUSTED people running the other show for them (or in this case working the days they are off).

I know two people who owned franchise restaurants and lost them due to employee theft when they weren't there. Not pretty . . . and this was 30+ years ago.

I worked in a gun shop part time years ago and mostly Sundays was a bust when we tried it. Rarely had a buying customer but just the regulars coming in for coffee and shooting the shit. A place to escape for a while. Not worth keeping the lights on really. Got extremely busy about 2 weeks before Xmas, wives coming in looking for last minute gift certificates mainly. But Sat., a different story. We did a good portion of the weeky sales on Saturday.

I can't think of any other retail business that shuts down two days a week like that. Not one.

Really? Try finding an open bike (motorcycle, I mean) shop on a Sunday or a Monday. Good friggin' luck. There may be one or two, somewhere... but most are shuttered up tight.

We are open Sundays, We have a good bit of work coming in on Sunday too. We are a different style of business than a straight out gun shop. We take Monday's off because it is nice to have a day off! Of course we also offer by appointment, So it may be a moot point.

James

There were several in north central MA that were closed on monday or tuesday nights, or if they were open those days they did dinner only.

-Mike

Ok ok fine, maybe out in the suburbs mom and pops close certain days, im a 2 minute drive from d'town boston so its a little more busy here.

Ok ok fine, maybe out in the suburbs mom and pops close certain days, im a 2 minute drive from d'town boston so its a little more busy here.

That's a whole different ballgame. The local demographics will more likely support staying open 7 days inside the big dump cities.

-Mike

I understand Monday's, so you can get a day off, but I would think Sunday's would be the busiest day because most people have it off. I would go to Four Seasons more if I didn't have to sneak out of work on Thursday nights ( till 8:00 ) or Saturdays ( till 4:00 ) . I hate leaving work and having to go back, the same day.

Bob's, North Shore & Patriot are open Sundays. Must be an Essex County Thing [hmmm].

http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/

http://www.patriotarmsofne.com/

http://www.northshorefirearms.com/

In fact there are a number of shops open Sunday and or Monday. There was a thread awhile back that people posted what shops they knew to be open. I'm terrible at finding old threads, but I know it existed. I was surprised by the number.

North Shore Firearms seems to do a pretty brisk trade on Sundays - I stop there every week on the way home from the range and I see people buying guns. In fact, I think it was only two weeks ago there were about three people buying guns all at once and it took me a while just to get my boolets.

That said, I think gun stores are a little different than other businesses and can afford to be closed Sundays if they want. Unlike a restaurant where if I want to go out to eat on Sunday and your restaurant is closed, you have lost a sale because I'll go somewhere else. Guns are a little different - if I'm planning to buy a gun at Four Seasons and it's closed, I'm probably not going to go somewhere else. I'll wait until they are open and I'll get myself there.

If you see the kind of business a place like Four Seasons does — every time I've been in there it's been busier than McDonald's during the lunch rush, no matter what time I show up — you have to expect the staff to be pretty tired by the end of the week. And staffing a place like that with knowledgeable employees can't be easy. If you want to buy guns on Sunday from an Average Joe, there's always Dick's. If you want to buy anything non-vanilla, you gotta go to the places with the inconvenient hours.

That said, I think gun stores are a little different than other businesses and can afford to be closed Sundays if they want. Unlike a restaurant where if I want to go out to eat on Sunday and your restaurant is closed, you have lost a sale because I'll go somewhere else. Guns are a little different - if I'm planning to buy a gun at Four Seasons and it's closed, I'm probably not going to go somewhere else. I'll wait until they are open and I'll get myself there.

This. If you only have a couple of shops in your area and only tends to have what you're looking for, you'll wait until they're open.

Hardware stores are the same way. They're sometimes open on Sundays, but not late. When I need something on a Sunday I end up at Home Despot buying something inferior. Of course, I also end up at the real HW store on Monday because the Chinese crap from HD didn't work. The moral here is that they probably don't lose that much business, it's just concentrated to five days instead of spread over seven.

I've never counted, but I don't think many, if any, shops around me have 10 employees.

If Rileys and Shooters outpost were closed two days a week but had extended hours Thursday Friday and Saturday that would be awesome because I'd actually be able to go there more often. There have been many times I wanted to hit up Rileys on Saturday (either by myself or with a friend) to buy ammo or mags etc, but it was too late in the day to get there being an hour drive and all. Now if they were open til 9, I'd have been able to go those times.

I haven't been to Renaissance Firearms in Gonic in like a year because he is only open 9-5 weekdays. No weekend hours. I guarantee he is losing business on Saturdays. He has certainly lost mine since he is never open when I can stop in [sad]. It too bad cause he is closer than Rileys and doesn't have ill tempered employees [laugh].

The rest of the world doesn't get 2 days in a row off, you might, I know I don't.

If I owned a gun shop I would be open 7 days; the majority of the world has sundays off... Great day for business..

I hate waiting till tuesday to go to the gun shop...

Agreed, and I have Sunday and Monday off so its even worse for me, I have to plan around my work schedule if I want to go.

I found this out this out this weekend by driving to 2 different shops and finding out they were both closed.

Andre

Really? Try finding an open bike (motorcycle, I mean) shop on a Sunday or a Monday. Good friggin' luck. There may be one or two, somewhere... but most are shuttered up tight.

And this helps a Beemer owner how? Or a Jap bike owner, or a Triumph owner... Seriously... when I said "there may be one or two" that was a subtle way of trying to indicate that you didn't have to POST them.

And this helps a Beemer owner how? Or a Jap bike owner, or a Triumph owner... Seriously... when I said "there may be one or two" that was a subtle way of trying to indicate that you didn't have to POST them.

Hey, you told me to try, so I tried [wink].

If a store (or other business) as been operating for more than an year or two, they must have a clue about what works for them. If you think that a [insert type of store here] should be open on a specific schedule, open one. You may be tapping a great revenue stream.

Back
Top Bottom