Why are there so many Glock Haters?

I don't want all you "Glock is perfection" guys to get all butt hurt but Glocks are not for everyone, grip angle, trigger pull, and lest we not for get the original glock .40 kabooms have turned many people away. If I can't hit with a weapon it doesn't do me any good no matter how many rounds come out of it. it is a lot easier to hit well with a weapon you feel comfortable with than one you don't.

I agree. A gun is marginal to a person if it doesn't fit you or you can't shoot it well because of some design limitation. Glocks are clearly not for everyone..

Notice I didn't mention the JMB or Sig, those guys can be even worse than Glock people when it comes to singing the praises of their respective firearms. Now Lorcin on the other hand...

Sigs? Back when I was on sigforum on a regular basis... I found that a large number of sig nuts there had a higher than average "firearm diversity" rate than among other brand forums. EG- guys who own sigs were also very likely to own other brands/types of handguns as well. Contrast this with trends with HK and Glock fanbois who, on average, are more likely to be "monotheistic. " [laugh]

1911 land is a fun place. There are several groups of people... the ones that hide their face in shame knowing they own a POS but are too ashamed to admit it (and they should really just take a cue from Timber and crush/burn their Para, AMT, Taurus, or whatever junker it was they bought) the next group is the group that just makes excuses for the platform constantly (Oh come on- we've all seen it... the guys with the 1911s that jam every 70-100 or so rounds for no apparent reason) and then the third group is that 20% that have guns that actually work right most of the time. Of course, in saying this, it's simply not fair to label the 1911 platform as a whole, just like it is with AR15s..... there are a lot of good guns out there, but there is a TON of garbage, too. That isn't a "design" issue as much as that of implementation... neither platform is at all tolerant of shoddy build practices and abuses of specification.

The moral of the story is run whatever you want- as long as it is reliable and you can make your shots count with it, and you can manipulate/handle it well, what more can you ask for?

-Mike

That isn't a "design" issue as much as that of implementation... neither platform is at all tolerant of shoddy build practices and abuses of specification.

I'm one of these 1911 guys, but it really is a design issue. The design, as it's evolved for increased accuracy and better operation, demands very tight tolerances on critical fire-control parts, and assumed that there would be a skilled labor force creating each part. A hundred years ago, this was a non-issue. Today, this sort of design would not be tolerated.

EDIT: And the tolerances all seem to stack. That's awful.

Last edited:
I agree. A gun is marginal to a person if it doesn't fit you or you can't shoot it well because of some design limitation. Glocks are clearly not for everyone..

Sigs? Back when I was on sigforum on a regular basis... I found that a large number of sig nuts there had a higher than average "firearm diversity" rate than among other brand forums. EG- guys who own sigs were also very likely to own other brands/types of handguns as well. Contrast this with trends with HK and Glock fanbois who, on average, are more likely to be "monotheistic. " [laugh]

1911 land is a fun place. There are several groups of people... the ones that hide their face in shame knowing they own a POS but are too ashamed to admit it (and they should really just take a cue from Timber and crush/burn their Para, AMT, Taurus, or whatever junker it was they bought) the next group is the group that just makes excuses for the platform constantly (Oh come on- we've all seen it... the guys with the 1911s that jam every 70-100 or so rounds for no apparent reason) and then the third group is that 20% that have guns that actually work right most of the time. Of course, in saying this, it's simply not fair to label the 1911 platform as a whole, just like it is with AR15s..... there are a lot of good guns out there, but there is a TON of garbage, too. That isn't a "design" issue as much as that of implementation... neither platform is at all tolerant of shoddy build practices and abuses of specification.

The moral of the story is run whatever you want- as long as it is reliable and you can make your shots count with it, and you can manipulate/handle it well, what more can you ask for?

-Mike

Great post ! I agree with everything you say.

I'm one of these 1911 guys, but it really is a design issue. The design, as it's evolved for increased accuracy and better operation, demands very tight tolerances on critical fire-control parts, and assumed that there would be a skilled labor force creating each part. A hundred years ago, this was a non-issue. Today, this sort of design would not be tolerated.

EDIT: And the tolerances all seem to stack. That's awful.

If the 1911 was built by 1 manufacturer, you not have nearly as many issues as you do. But everyone builds one and they all try to undercut each other. This leads to sloppy tolerance and poor builds. Because of this aftermarket companies build oversized parts so that they can fit wide ranges of tolerances.

1911 can not be assembled and expected to run well, there are just to many variation in to many parts from to many manufacturers.

I don't have a dog in this fight...I'm not a Glock fan (I've had two, sold both) and I'm not a fan of the M&P either (it's just not comfortable in my hand) BUT I had to say that if there was a point to the above post, I lost in the grammer and puncutation.

"they are toilets" is a very intelligent description....I guess

hair is yor grahmer and punkuation This is not a english test and you are not a english teacher

Well in his defense, I ignored your post and skipped to the next one after stumbling over the your grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation. This may not be an English class, but when you are trying to make a point it helps to at least use the English language.

Well in his defense, I ignored your post and skipped to the next one after stumbling over the your grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation. This may not be an English class, but when you are trying to make a point it helps to at least use the English language.
+1. That post and way too many on this forum are unintelligible.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a Glock fan (I've had two, sold both) and I'm not a fan of the M&P either (it's just not comfortable in my hand)[,] [STRIKE]BUT[/STRIKE]but I had to say that if there was a point to the above post, I lost in the [STRIKE]grammer[/STRIKE]grammar and [STRIKE]puncutation[/STRIKE]punctuation. [sentence is a bit of a run-on, should break it up, also tense problem with "not a fan" (present) and "had to say" (past) but I am terrible with tense, so I could be wrong... ]

"they are toilets" is a very intelligent description....I guess

Look out, grammar nazis...

His post was perfectly intelligible... He said the Glock is a fine pistol that will give you years of un-interrupted service with minimal upkeep... [laugh]

Look out, grammar nazis...

His post was perfectly intelligible... He said the Glock is a fine pistol that will give you years of un-interrupted service with minimal upkeep... [laugh]

+1

Thanks for the help gotta love the people who got nothing better to do than pick apart peoples post, I also find it funny when people get upset about using (U) instead of (you) I tend to type fast as I said not a english test. I have more important things to do which does not include proof reading a forum post. Don't get to sit infront of the computer all dya like some members do.

Glock = the new "pet rock"
Glock fame/infamy is a funny thing...

I think people hate it because there are so many people that like it because its popular rather than its merits....

What surprised me, having ignored Glock for quite some time for things I knew, was that it, objectively speaking, does have more than adequate merits to justify its popularity...

I came to the Glock side via process of elimination.

Owning one of each or more of their various competitors my process of elimination was one of balancing how it a gun shoots vs how it is to carry. I don't want to carry something I cannot shoot well if something ever happened... I also don't want to carry a boat anchor (or I would gladly carry the Sig226 everywhere I went including the shower [wink])...

I can't speak for the G17 (it fails the carry test for me), but for the the G19, I cannot find a gun that allows me to put more rounds on target faster that carries as well - period...

I either have to plan on a mag change or carry more gun than I want to carry to accomplish the same task...

I'll own one eventually. My initial impressions was that the G17 and G19 didn't fit my hand well. I had to adjust my grip every time I wanted to lock the slide back or release the magazine. I didn't have that issue with an XD9 so I bought one of those at a ~$150 cheaper price point. Nothing against Glock...

Fitz

I love my glock g27, if I didn't get it I would have got a XD or m&p.

I don't knock other guns, to each their own. My glock is 15 years old, I've put about a thousand rounds through it and never had a problem.

I think my next handgun will be a 1911.

Glocks are as good a tool as the others. They do a good job for what they were designed for and that's it. They aren't the best handgun out there by most peoples opinion but they are far from the worst. That being said I wouldn't worry trusting my life to a Glock (and I do just not a Glock .40) or to most Sigs or even to my Smith & Wesson 1911. In the end some like them and some just don't for whatever reason. Personally i've never seen a Glock fail to deliver when it had to but I have seen others fail (Sigs in particular but not many). Find a gun you can shoot well (Glock or otherwise) and be done with it.

Glock-Fuse-Kaboom-kb.jpg

I have a bunch of guns. My Glocks are ugly as sin, feel like a brick in my hand and are about 2 feet thick. But I shoot the heck out of them and it is my go-to carry gun. So go figure. There are plenty of guns in my safe that look prettier and feel better in my hand, and I don't shoot nearly as well with. I have been almost 100% Glock in CCW, range time and instruction for about 10 years now.

Dude must have hands like hams!

It's not that hard to do, actually. Especially since Glocks have so little beavertail.

I've had it happen with my Kahr, but not the Glock. I do know at least one person that's had it happen with a Glock.

And not everyone has girly hands like you!

Last edited:
You don't need hands like hams, the slide seems to hang down lower on Glocks (IMHO) and if you grab and fire quickly and your hand is just a little high they can bite. I think this is why I have shyed away from glock as that was my first experience with them back in the 80s

Back
Top Bottom