• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why did Ruger decide to make the American pistol?

The 1911 series they make is relatively ok. They make a commander and full sized in .45ACP. They sell stainless only guns however they do make distributor's specials like the Night Watchman guns (that have rails). The only thing they lack is .38 Supers/9x19s and maybe a .40S&W/10mm gun. However that's a niche market and Ruger's MO is a reasonably priced gun that works well and will be used often. People who get the SR1911 Commander love theirs for carrying and the ones I've shot were pretty good. What more can you ask for?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911DE/models.html

their SR series is taking backseat to competitors, and this particular market is beaucoup $$. my guess is they want to be more competitive. i actually think it looks cool I wiill probably buy one.

Their american line of rifles feels cheap and flimsy. If the handguns are the same, I'll pass. Big time.

i wouldn't read too far into the whole "american" pistol name. this bears little-to-no resemblance to the american rifles....it's just a marketing shtick. presumably the "American" rifle thing worked well for sales so they're playing the same strategy on their new handgun design.

the fact that Ruger is finally showing us a full size 9/45 without thumb safety demonstrates they have lost revenue because of their lawyers' advice.

Could it be related to the US Military's desire for an updated handgun? It could be a variant of Ruger's efforts.

Ruger has made solid semi autos and have always focused on the civilian market. They make great guns, but aesthetics do play a role. I think by making their pistols more like their competitors in appearance they will offer the same rugged reliability, value, and quality that they always have plus looks and superior engineering. Look how they forced the MP Sport upgrade by offering a competitively priced AR with a dust cover and forward assist.

I think too, they might want a bigger portion of the LEO market and it looks like the military will eventually go over to a new pistol, or at least go thru the motions of procuring one.

Now if I can get a Germanic looking Ruger for several hundred dollars less than a VP9 or Walther that's going to perform with legendary Ruger reliability, what am I going to do? Most gun for the buck.

Ruger has done well with the pocket semi market and if this new gun paerforms as well as it looks they are going to have a winner on their hands.

I'm curious if it's functionally different than the SR series or just cosmetically/ergonomically different.

And what is that little nub inside the trigger guard behind and below the trigger? A trigger stop?

The 1911 series they make is relatively ok. They make a commander and full sized in .45ACP. They sell stainless only guns however they do make distributor's specials like the Night Watchman guns (that have rails). The only thing they lack is .38 Supers/9x19s and maybe a .40S&W/10mm gun. However that's a niche market and Ruger's MO is a reasonably priced gun that works well and will be used often. People who get the SR1911 Commander love theirs for carrying and the ones I've shot were pretty good. What more can you ask for?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911DE/models.html

Nice to see they are finally making a black nitrided version. If I got another SR1911 I planned to get it cerakoted anyway, so now I will probably just wait for one of these.

It looks pretty cool. Ruger has built some nice stuff lately. Reason I bought the SR9c as my first pistol and gun ever, was because it got really good reviews and is inexpensive for a first time buyer and someone that's not rich, haha. The American rifle I bought, again, because it got solid reviews for being a beginners inexpensive bolt action. I shoot good enough with both, so I don't see a need to buy those more expensive guns just yet. I didn't see the msrp for this new pistol, but I can't see it being as much as a Sig because it having a poly lower. I'd love to shoot it!

Ruger has made solid semi autos and have always focused on the civilian market. They make great guns, but aesthetics do play a role. I think by making their pistols more like their competitors in appearance they will offer the same rugged reliability, value, and quality that they always have plus looks and superior engineering. Look how they forced the MP Sport upgrade by offering a competitively priced AR with a dust cover and forward assist.

I think too, they might want a bigger portion of the LEO market and it looks like the military will eventually go over to a new pistol, or at least go thru the motions of procuring one.

Now if I can get a Germanic looking Ruger for several hundred dollars less than a VP9 or Walther that's going to perform with legendary Ruger reliability, what am I going to do? Most gun for the buck.

Ruger has done well with the pocket semi market and if this new gun paerforms as well as it looks they are going to have a winner on their hands.
Good points. When I saw the sport II I thought the same thing about Ruger forcing S&W's hand.

- - - Updated - - -

they make an aluminum framed 1911

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6711.html

but as to OP I understand military is trying to adopt a replacement for the beretta which is modular like the Sig P320. I think this is the entry for Ruger.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of the military request.

I want to see if when you jack a round in the chamber, a 2'x4' red flag comes bursting out of the top of it to let everyone know the chamber is loaded.

Saw that ruger is releasing a new pistol. I'm wondering why they decided on a new line instead of expanding/updating the SR pistols

Because the SR9 is kinda shitty looking, and larded up with shitty features like a manual safety nobody wanted and a flare launcher that goes off every time you chamber a round... and they had to make a product that would stand out and apart from that, that's why.

-Mike

I think it looks good.
I love the SR45 I have. I find its the gun I shoot most accurately. Feels good in the hand as well.
I'd like to put one of these in my mitts to check it out.

That thing looks like an M&P and a Glock had a bastard child that likely has autism. They're late to the game with that thing. Glock has cornered the market on ugly, yet reliable.

Well, maybe that's you, Mark, but you are probably in the minority. Most Walther and HK buyers wouldn't even sniff the air out of a Ruger box, lest it be poisonous or something like that. [laugh]

IMHO this is a pitch by Ruger to put themselves between S&W and Springfield or something, it has that S&W Smegma look to it, but it will probably end up being a markedly better product.

The other idea is that they knew they ****ed up with the SR line with all the safety garbage and the styling of the product, a lot of people look at those guns and cast it off as being a product marketed at dumb skinflint, maybe first time handgun buyers that don't really understand handguns so they might feel "more comfortable" with a bunch of unnecessary safety features. Nobody wants the playskool version of something. A bunch of people avoided the SR9 because they were concerned that when they opened the box for the gun, that a pile of coupons for adult diapers would fall out.

There mere presence of the gun in that configuration in the marketplace is offensive to a large part of the potential buying audience. We even saw this before with the S&W M&P Shield.... There were legions of people who refused to buy the thing because of that one little, relatively unobtrusive lever on the side of it. Then once that lever was gone, the popularity of the pistol seemed to become even greater at that point.

I agree that if this product has decent QC it'll probably be a winner.

-Mike

lest we forget.

lO3Tf6K.jpg

I want to see if when you jack a round in the chamber, a 2'x4' red flag comes bursting out of the top of it to let everyone know the chamber is loaded.

Based on the lack of roll pin across the top of the slide, I'm going to guess that they did not include a chamber loaded flag on this firearm

Some are way too sensitive about the manual safety and the chamber indicator on the SR9 series in my opinion. Don't like the safety? Don't use it. Neither the safety nor chamber indicator played a roll in the accuracy of shooting the weapon. As a more experienced handgun shooter now I see the point of not needing the safety now so I get it. I still think the SR9c is a great first-time buyer handgun and concealed option.

I think Ruger has no choice but to try and be competitive in the polymer-framed striker-fired market. Agreed, a little late to game. Looks very much like my VP9. I look forward to trying it.

alot of people liked the ergos of the sr22 but not the sr9,40,45 etc. this new pistol looks like a bigger sr22 and hopefully has improved ergos. my only complaint is how slick the grips look, not much texturing at all. if they keep the price sub $500 i think it could be successful

Why don't they just bring back the P-90?

Make it from a forged alloy, smooth the lines, good sights, and offer a compact version.

Winnah!

Back
Top Bottom