Why did Ruger decide to make the American pistol?

alot of people liked the ergos of the sr22 but not the sr9,40,45 etc. this new pistol looks like a bigger sr22 and hopefully has improved ergos. my only complaint is how slick the grips look, not much texturing at all. if they keep the price sub $500 i think it could be successful

That's what talon grips are for. I have the skateboard texture on my sr9c and love it. I am thinking about putting some on my glock 20 because I think it needs more grip. I might try the rubber this time.

Because the SR9 is kinda shitty looking, and larded up with shitty features like a manual safety nobody wanted and a flare launcher that goes off every time you chamber a round... and they had to make a product that would stand out and apart from that, that's why.

-Mike

May the Bim be with you, sir.

I can't think of a more solid .45, other than a Sig 220.

The only .45 more "American" would be the 1911 itself.

Yeah but people actually like 1911s. People are generally moving away from DA/SA, with limited exceptions, and the Ruger P series, while a well built pistol, is not one of those exceptions.

-Mike

Reminds me of the Steyr Pistol for some reason.... The clearly intended to make this look more "serious" than their other pistols. I think the SR9c is a decent Pistol but it certainly doesn't look in the same class as a VP9 or cz P 07

I just looked at the link to this new Ruger. I can see some resemblance to the SR series, only uglier. What's with all the gew-gaws and doodads? Get rid of all the stylized plastic crap, including the "rail" under the barrel, smooth things out, and streamline it, and it might be a decent guns based on the actual functionality.

I'd love to get one and take a file or Dremel to it for an hour, then send to Ruger and ask them to do that from the factory, only without all my brutish "tooling marks" on it. Just a little bit of checkering on the front of the grip, and some serrations on the rear of the slide please, and thank you.

because the market spoke and the P90 sucks.

Actually Mark although the P90 was clunky looking and overly engineered, it was amazingly durable and across the board pretty accurate. Supposedly Ruger got input from the people at Bar Sto on barrel construction and it paid off. I think the P90 was one of those guns that everybody hated but their owners and it was the appearance and to some degree the ergonomics (always too big for my hands) that turned people off.

Looks like a bigger version of the SR22 but from the looks I absolutely hate where the slide release is! Maybe it's just the picture?

Last edited:
i thought the same thing. But the mil spec calls for a modular chassis which eliminates almost everyone.

I know the .mil is really interested in the new Sig because of the modular chassis and the rumor mill says it has the inside track because of it, but do you know for a fact that the .mil is requiring a modular chassis or is that a preferred feature?

That's what talon grips are for. I have the skateboard texture on my sr9c and love it. I am thinking about putting some on my glock 20 because I think it needs more grip. I might try the rubber this time.

I have the rubber version on my Sr9c and it transformed the whole feel of the gun in an awesome way without the abrasion to your clothing or skin of the sandpaper version.

I really do not care about the extra stuff my SR9C has and how ugly it looks as some may say, it shoots when I pull the trigger and goes where I am it. And it is a whole lot better looking than glock I have seen.

Looks to me like they are getting more serious about going after military and law enforcement contracts. The SR series is more consumer oriented.

original.jpg

Comparison to the VP9

Patent filing:
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNu...f=G%26l=50%26s1=20150292828.PGNR.%26OS=%26RS=

Looks like Ruger really simplified the guts compared to the SR series.

Looks to me like they are getting more serious about going after military and law enforcement contracts. The SR series is more consumer oriented.

If they were serious about that they'd have an entire product line with multiple frame sizes. IMHO they're trying to get consumers to look at their larger centerfire guns again, and this is their way of putting their foot in the water. Any remotely serious "consumer" completely ignores the SR.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom