Why did Ruger decide to make the American pistol?

It looks like they're using the same magazine bodies from the SR9, but changed the retention notch so they won't work out of the box.

Why do they gotta f#ck us with every new firearm they come out with?! Want to sell more firearm units, make them compatible with what's already on the market.

It looks like they're using the same magazine bodies from the SR9, but changed the retention notch so they won't work out of the box.

Why do they gotta f#ck us with every new firearm they come out with?! Want to sell more firearm units, make them compatible with what's already on the market.

Normally I would agree but given that most of the SR9 buyers aren't going to be buying this gun (and vice versa) it's not that big of a deal.

-Mike

Normally I would agree but given that most of the SR9 buyers aren't going to be buying this gun (and vice versa) it's not that big of a deal.

-Mike

Mike,

I think that is an original thought not necessarily shared by Ruger management. On their website they say this about the new American Pistol: "Designed with the latest US Military standards in mind the Ruger American Pistol is designed to perform under the harshest conditions..."

Whoever wins the pistol contract will get some hefty LE contracts too. When Beretta got the M9 contract many PDs followed suit at least for awhile.

I imagine Ruger has compact models on the drawing board but right now the number 1 priority is to field a bug free design for the pistol trials. In the end, the .gov may decide to keep what they have, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Also, Ruger has a successful line of compacts with their LC series right now.

Since caliber is yet to be determined developing a 45 and a 9mm make good sense as those are the two most likely calibers.

Ruger your wayyyyy to late and behind the curve, Just dont. whats next another single stack 9mm [laugh]

Ruger your wayyyyy to late and behind the curve, Just dont. whats next another single stack 9mm [laugh]

By that logic Sig is way too late
With the 320 and HK too late with the VP 9
(The fact that HK had the first striker fired polymer 9 is moot it didn't catch on)

Whoever wins the pistol trials will have the last laugh.

By that logic Sig is way too late
With the 320 and HK too late with the VP 9
(The fact that HK had the first striker fired polymer 9 is moot it didn't catch on)

Whoever wins the pistol trials will have the last laugh.

You mean the trial to create the gun the government wont buy? [laugh]

I think Ruger will potentially have a winner regardless of that... I think that while they may have intended this for the .gov BS, like you say... their fallback plan is quite obvious.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Better late than never.

I also think it'll be forward of the curve, but it doesn't take too much, considering that gun is a POS made by Taurus. [rofl]

-Mike

You mean the trial to create the gun the government wont buy? [laugh] I think Ruger will potentially have a winner regardless of that... I think that while they may have intended this for the .gov BS, like you say... their fallback plan is quite obvious. -Mike - - - Updated - - - Better late than never. I also think it'll be forward of the curve, but it doesn't take too much, considering that gun is a POS made by Taurus. [rofl] -Mike

Yeah that pistol trial [rofl]. I'm guessing that some kid now in Jr high will be packing an M9 of some sort in 2026 during his or her military service and the firearms industry will be rife with a hot rumor that DOD is looking to replace those Berettas. [rofl]

The upside of all of this is we as consumers benefit because it puts new models in the hands of the public.

As long as there's no magazine disconnect, I'd be interested in checking it out, since I'm a Ruger fanboy (except for the SR series). Not sure what it offers over my Glock though.

The only good thing about Ruger is its revolvers and .22s
This will be a miss I'd bet.
Don't you carry an SR1911?

This appears to be a Ruger that I will pass on, and I am a bit of a Ruger fan boy. Military Arms Channel posted this photo of the firearm and it looks like the rear of the frame makes firing very uncomfortable.

The more I see of this NEW RUGER American Pistol, The More I LIKE it... [url]https://youtu.be/HAShtUSGK9Y[/URL]

Got an email from Ruger today inviting me to test fire a Ruger Anerican this weekend at a range near me, just enter a zip code. I did, and Manchester Firing Line popped up. I'm sure they will be busy, and you might want to call first but according to Ruger you can test fire at that location.

They also list two stock numbers: 8605 standard mag and 8607 10 round mag, now whether this also means different trigger pull or loaded chamber indicatior I don't know but there appears to be both an iron curtain and free state version. Only one stock number for the .45.

I am starting to appreciate my SR9 more and more (makes me the minority I guess). I will get one of these after initial stupidness dies down...

Why don't they just bring back the P-90? Make it from a forged alloy, smooth the lines, good sights, and offer a compact version. Winnah!

Because outside of a small group of USPSA shooters, no one is buying a heavy, large DA/SA handgun. The bulk of the market is polymer striker fired handguns.

Got an email from Ruger today inviting me to test fire a Ruger Anerican this weekend at a range near me, just enter a zip code. I did, and Manchester Firing Line popped up. I'm sure they will be busy, and you might want to call first but according to Ruger you can test fire at that location.

They also list two stock numbers: 8605 standard mag and 8607 10 round mag, now whether this also means different trigger pull or loaded chamber indicatior I don't know but there appears to be both an iron curtain and free state version. Only one stock number for the .45.

The loaded chamber indicator on the stock Ruger American is the same as that on the M&P - a witness hole. I imagine if they make an MA version it will just have a crappy trigger and maybe a magazine safety/large warning.

Why don't they just bring back the P-90? Make it from a forged alloy, smooth the lines, good sights, and offer a compact version. Winnah!

Ruger made a very nice DA/SA .45 with a rail, on a polymer frame, good sights, decent trigger pulls, great ergonomics; the P345. It had great lines, was an attractive looking pistol too. It was not a good seller, like M1911 says there just isn't the market. Sig pretty much has that market with the P220 and now the P227. It's sort of a niche.

If you have a P90, or p345 you have a good gun or a 3rd Gen S&W 4500 Series for that matter, but the interest just doesn't seem to be there.

Check out where the serial number lives. It appears that it's on the trigger group in the rear of the pistol. If I'm correct they could easily go with a type of system that Sig has been using. Either way, a G19ish frame version would be nice!

I'm a ruger fan boy. I have sigs, berettas, glocks and more but i just like em. That said, the only SR model I found myself unwilling to part with is an SR9c. GREAT gun. they would have sold MANY more if they had made it look a little less busy. Unfortunately for Ruger, the new Generation of shooters put a lot of thought into how their pistol looks.

Check out where the serial number lives. It appears that it's on the trigger group in the rear of the pistol. If I'm correct they could easily go with a type of system that Sig has been using. Either way, a G19ish frame version would be nice!

I'm a ruger fan boy. I have sigs, berettas, glocks and more but i just like em. That said, the only SR model I found myself unwilling to part with is an SR9c. GREAT gun. they would have sold MANY more if they had made it look a little less busy. Unfortunately for Ruger, the new Generation of shooters put a lot of thought into how their pistol looks.
I'm one of that new generation of shooters, and I was about to disagree with you. Then I realized that I really like how pretty the slide serrations on my M&P are.

In any event, if it goes bang, I like it :)

Held one of these at Minuteman Armory tonight and I have to say if it wasn't for one issue, I think I would like it. Fit nicely in my hand, felt balanced, and had a good trigger on it, although someone said it had a *long* reset, but I didn't feel that.

There is one issue that might prevent me from getting one and that's the square end of the pistol that lands directly on your thumb joint/knuckle, which if you're shooting this a lot is going to take a beating. (confirmed in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqL9L-0sN8)

Oh, and if you were wondering, the SR mags don't even fit in the damn pistol.

just have to wade in here in defense of the sr9c cause its getting bashed. the sr9c is a spectacular polymer framed striker fired pistol, great trigger, eats everything, accurate with practice and easy to carry. i love the thing and ill challenge you to find an informed bad review.

I held one at MFL yesterday, very nice. No see # on the frame so it looks like a modular concept which is what the .mil is looking for.

Did not dry fire. Barring any glitches or QC problems Im thinking winnah_ winnah chicken dinnah. This could be a watershed moment for Ruger cuz its not like any other pistol they have ever made (SR 22 maybe comes closest in a way). I think the boys down in Springfield are maybe a little bit nervous and they should be.

The market isn't there. Here in the US, most shooters want striker-fired, polymer frame handguns.

Really? I must have missed that memo. Why do you suppose that is? Just keeping up with trendiness, or keeping up with the Jones's?

This appears to be a Ruger that I will pass on, and I am a bit of a Ruger fan boy. Military Arms Channel posted this photo of the firearm and it looks like the rear of the frame makes firing very uncomfortable.

Yea, the MAC review was good. It is really heavy (a Ruger trademark), and the ass end and grip design looks like it was finished by a sophomore co-op student, and it hammers on your thumb knuckle when you shoot it. Pass, maybe version II will correct these issues.

Held one of these at Minuteman Armory tonight and I have to say if it wasn't for one issue, I think I would like it. Fit nicely in my hand, felt balanced, and had a good trigger on it, although someone said it had a *long* reset, but I didn't feel that.

There is one issue that might prevent me from getting one and that's the square end of the pistol that lands directly on your thumb joint/knuckle, which if you're shooting this a lot is going to take a beating. (confirmed in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqL9L-0sN8)

Oh, and if you were wondering, the SR mags don't even fit in the damn pistol.

^^this

everyone already complaining about it. Why the hell would ruger dump all this $$ into R&D just to jack up such an obvious design element. Nobodys hand is square....this will need to be fixed in the future if they intemd to sell the american.

Yea, the MAC review was good. It is really heavy (a Ruger trademark), and the ass end and grip design looks like it was finished by a sophomore co-op student, and it hammers on your thumb knuckle when you shoot it. Pass, maybe version II will correct these issues.

One of the guys at Minuteman Armory took it out tonight with the small grip and didn't have the problem that MAC mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom