• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why did Ruger decide to make the American pistol?

One of the guys at Minuteman Armory took it out tonight with the small grip and didn't have the problem that MAC mentioned.

Well, everybody that MAC had try it had the problem. I guess everyone holds the pistol differently, but that is a terrible design element.

So it is just the holding of the pistol that folks in his video did not like or the slide action? I do agree compared to the other two models it does look non thought out two well. Other than that it looks fine to me.

So it is just the holding of the pistol that folks in his video did not like or the slide action? I do agree compared to the other two models it does look non thought out two well. Other than that it looks fine to me.

If you haven't watched it I would recommend it. He had five people shoot the gun, and all had indentations where the square corner was hammering their knuckle during firing.

If you haven't watched it I would recommend it. He had five people shoot the gun, and all had indentations where the square corner was hammering their knuckle during firing.

Beaker,

I did watch the video as he explained it was that corner that did it. But my question was it the corner doing it due to recoil putting pressure in that one area only or somehow the slide going back to it's furthest limit causing an issue. It just seems strange to me that if the that section was so bad it would cause an issue from both corners. Hope that makes some sense. Thanks.

Beaker, I did watch the video as he explained it was that corner that did it. But my question was it the corner doing it due to recoil putting pressure in that one area only or somehow the slide going back to it's furthest limit causing an issue. It just seems strange to me that if the that section was so bad it would cause an issue from both corners. Hope that makes some sense. Thanks.

Look closely at the web of your hand between thumb and forefinger -- it isn't symmetrical. That is why there is discomfort from the corner on the thumb side and not on the forefinger side.

Really? I must have missed that memo. Why do you suppose that is? Just keeping up with trendiness, or keeping up with the Jones's?

Price point, size, weight, capacity, consistency in trigger pull are some of the reasons. This trend isn't new, the metal / da/sa Pistol marked has been relocated to "niche" market for sometime now. I'm not saying that a good or a bad thing, but in terms of overall market share, the numbers don't lie.

Edit: There are some amazing metal da/sa pistols out there.... CZ is by far my fav, but Sphinx and Lionheart are interesting as well

Last edited:
The Fortay thread that's going on right now made me look this up - the Ruger American pistol was released in 9 only, with no 40. That settles it, 40 is dead!

It's going to be a slow death. The .mil is interested in two pistol calibers: 45 ACP and 9mm. The 40 will be around for at least a generation in good numbers before it fades. The 30-06 and 45-70 were popular for decades before they started to fade away, same for 30-30 Winchester and .30 cal carbine. Agencies are not going into full rearmament overnight. Look how long it took to convert from revolvers to Semis and even today some agencies still authorize revolvers such as NYPD (@ 200 officers grandfathered). 41 Magnum is still around. IMO best offbeat cartridge that is fading fast that is superior to ,9mm in every way: .357 Sig.

The fact that the FBI is going back to the 9mm is significant and departments will follow suit, but it will take only one Miami Shootout incident spectacular enough to reverse the trend again. As long as Police administrators confuse magic bullets as a substitute for training and cops regard guns the same way they regard pens and flashlights it doesn't really matter what the caliber is. .22 shorts would satisfy most administrative requirements. The .mil really doesn't need a new pistol because in the grand scheme of things pistols are insignificant. The new M9A3 would fill the bill and save tons of money. Units that really need pistols buy what they need right off the shelf anyway which is why you are going to find all sorts of handguns in the .mil inventory including updated new Colt 1911's.

To keep this on track, Ruger has a very attractive looking polymer pistol which will sell at a price point well below the imports. It is really making inroads in the pocket auto market and is the major competitor to the shield. If there is some kind of short coming regarding the grip, they will fix it. The pistol fit well in my hands but they are small and I did not fire the weapon. There exists no doubt certain micro aggressive prejudice against Ruger by operator types because Ruger has always been associated with Joe Sixpack and the sport and civilian market. If a mall cop is armed today, chances are probably its with a GP100 Revolver and not a Smith and Wesson. Bill Ruger is gone. The Ruger family is no longer running Ruger. There is a different marketing thrust and expansion. Ruger is the only firearms company in the US that makes every type of firearm under one brand name. They are a leader in metallurgical research and Pine Tree Casting makes many products not related to firearms. You would be surprised how many parts they make for other gun companies too.

Am I a Ruger fanboi? Hell yes...my Ruger stock has made me money and I think they are moving in the right direction with this new pistol. If they stumble, they will either fix it or drop it, but as I have stated earlier, this has the earmarks of a winner.

Last edited:
just have to wade in here in defense of the sr9c cause its getting bashed. the sr9c is a spectacular polymer framed striker fired pistol, great trigger, eats everything, accurate with practice and easy to carry. i love the thing and ill challenge you to find an informed bad review.
agreed I got my girlfriend one. I like it so much I bring it to the range almost every time i go. Everyone I go with initially laughs at the red flag but after they shoot it they like it. Iv had a few other comparable 9mms shield,g43,g26. Out of the box the ruger is most comfortable and best shooting. And she picked it out after holding every gun in the store and deciding she thought it most comfortable. It was so ugly and had features I didn't like, such as the takedown process/ flag I didn't like it and I didn't want to like it. After I shot it I liked it.

I think that this is going to drive down the prices of used SR's and that is a good thing. I traded my Glock 17 for my SR9c (plus some cash on his end) and never looked back. The SR has a far better trigger, so I shoot it a lot better than I ever shot my Glock (and I had that thing for a decade), carries easier, and has the same mag capacity here in MA. I loved it so much that I bought an SR45, and I can group almost as tight with the SR45 as my 1911 - one ragged hole...and it likes hotter handloads than my 1911. With the 10+1 capacity and the rail for a light, it lives in my bedside safe. I don't care about the safety or the loaded flag on either of the two guns. They have both gone bang every single time I have pulled the trigger with all types of ammo. Call me a Ruger fanboy, but I can't find a fault with the SR series, and love the fact that Ruger was able to come out with an inexpensive series of handguns that are dead nuts reliable and shoot like a dream. I'll likely pick up a cheap SR9 when everyone is jumping ship for the newer model. It's already the best value on the handgun market today IMHO.

Beaker,

I did watch the video as he explained it was that corner that did it. But my question was it the corner doing it due to recoil putting pressure in that one area only or somehow the slide going back to it's furthest limit causing an issue. It just seems strange to me that if the that section was so bad it would cause an issue from both corners. Hope that makes some sense. Thanks.
Yea it is the really clunky chunky frame that is square that jams your knuckle during slide movement not the slide. In the vid he shows other frames and how they are rounded and relieved so this won't haopen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

agreed I got my girlfriend one. I like it so much I bring it to the range almost every time i go. Everyone I go with initially laughs at the red flag but after they shoot it they like it. Iv had a few other comparable 9mms shield,g43,g26. Out of the box the ruger is most comfortable and best shooting. And she picked it out after holding every gun in the store and deciding she thought it most comfortable. It was so ugly and had features I didn't like, such as the takedown process/ flag I didn't like it and I didn't want to like it. After I shot it I liked it.

put on a set of Truglo tfx pros. they make the sr9c even better to shoot!

Yea it is the really clunky chunky frame that is square that jams your knuckle during slide movement not the slide. In the vid he shows other frames and how they are rounded and relieved so this won't haopen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Get a dremmel problem solved

Held both the .45 and 9mm today.... The SR is a better gun with a better trigger by far IMHO. The .45 I held wouldn't even lock the slide back most of the time on an empty mag because of slop in the follower not engaging the slide stop

I'm admittedly fairly new to the handgun scene and my first one was a SR45. I always wanted a .45 and the SR just fit my hand perfectly. It's reliable, eats anything, and I shoot it better than my other pistols. I really like it, enough that I invested in a set of TFX sights for it and I like those a lot too. I have a light on the rail and it is my HD gun. Like I said, I'm a newbie so perhaps the experts can rattle off a grocery list of technical reasons I should hate my SR45 but I don't. BTW, I am not a fan of the safety but guess what, when I leave it off the gun doesn't put it back on all by itself so I guess I don't see the big deal. I also have a SR22 and I like that a lot too.

As far as this new Ruger, meh, I think I'll be content with what I have for now.

I'm admittedly fairly new to the handgun scene and my first one was a SR45. I always wanted a .45 and the SR just fit my hand perfectly. It's reliable, eats anything, and I shoot it better than my other pistols. I really like it, enough that I invested in a set of TFX sights for it and I like those a lot too. I have a light on the rail and it is my HD gun. Like I said, I'm a newbie so perhaps the experts can rattle off a grocery list of technical reasons I should hate my SR45 but I don't. BTW, I am not a fan of the safety but guess what, when I leave it off the gun doesn't put it back on all by itself so I guess I don't see the big deal. I also have a SR22 and I like that a lot too. As far as this new Ruger, meh, I think I'll be content with what I have for now.
I learned a long time ago that if you like a gun and it works for you, that's all that matters. Enjoy your pistol.

Price point, size, weight, capacity, consistency in trigger pull are some of the reasons. This trend isn't new, the metal / da/sa Pistol marked has been relocated to "niche" market for sometime now. I'm not saying that a good or a bad thing, but in terms of overall market share, the numbers don't lie.

... There are some amazing metal da/sa pistols out there....

Price and weight I can understand. I don't see how metal affects size, capacity, or trigger pull.

Part of the reason they are not popular right now, is because they are not as readily AVAILABLE right now! I think people really LIKE and IDENTIFY with metal framed guns as being more genuine and true than plastic. Can't beat the light weight and low cost though.

Price and weight I can understand. I don't see how metal affects size, capacity, or trigger pull.

Part of the reason they are not popular right now, is because they are not as readily AVAILABLE right now! I think people really LIKE and IDENTIFY with metal framed guns as being more genuine and true than plastic. Can't beat the light weight and low cost though.

There are plenty of steel and AL framed pistols to buy, Beretta, CZ, and Sig still make and sell tons of them, but sales and demand are probably relatively flat That's not why they're not "more popular" at all. The market has changed drastically in the last 10 years, The "Post sandy hook nipplehead" is the new breed of gun buyer and they want different stuff, for better or worse. The other group of nippleheads that think that "plastic guns will melt" etc are also starting to die off. 10, 20 years from now there will still be lots of steel guns to buy but I think the market will largely migrate away from mass market junk in that product segment.

ETA: I left out the 1911/2011s on purpose... those will always be steel, there's no getting away from that. The platform does not lend itself to
plastic at all.

-Mike

Last edited:
Might be the best shooter ever engineered, but the lines suck.

Shit point and Taurus have been making ugly ass guns for a while now and that hasn't really deterred sales. I don't think Ruger has ever made a semiautomatic handgun that isn't ugly.... the MKXX 22s are about the "nicest" semis they make in that department.

-Mike

There are plenty of steel and AL framed pistols to buy, ...

ETA: I left out the 1911/2011s on purpose... those will always be steel, there's no getting away from that. ...

Why not aluminum, or a titanium alloy mix?

... I don't think Ruger has ever made a semiautomatic handgun that isn't ugly.... the MKXX 22s are about the "nicest" semis they make in that department.
Nothing wrong with the P-95:
ruger_p95_0315111.jpg

one of the sweetest shooting 45acp pistols is the ruger P90/P97. love it.

on the other hand the American is a polymer 9mm weighing over 30 oz. for me this doesn't compute. i would be willing to give the 45acp model a spin, but the 9mm no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom