• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do I want a...

Why do I want a Desert Eagle? Leaning towards the .44 mag version but I am worried this is an irrational want. It's impractical, unreliable and gaudy. ...but I find myself ignoring all those and still looking at them. Does anyone here have oNE in either 44 or 50 that they can comment o

Why not get a 357 and at least have some commonality between revolvers and your DE? at least with the weight it will make it probably pleasant to shoot ?

Some things are just cool and you want them "because". And that's good enough in my book. If I was gonna splurge on a DE, I'd get it in 50AE, 44mag and 357 seem like the Diet Coke of Desert Eagles, go big. Who cares about practicality, we're talking about a frikin Desert Eagle here.

i shot one in 44mag, fun range blaster, that's about it.

Love shooting my 500 S&W - not practical or cost effective, but always puts a smile on my face when I shoot it

DE 50 AE is on my list if I can find one that I can 'afford' someday

I considered a 44 mag DE to go along with my revolver and lever action rifle but decided it is really impractical. Not to mention I've heard the reliability is hit or miss with these.

Always wanted one also, but it has to be the old bullet tooth Tony style without the GD rails.

Bullet-Tooth-Tony-Snatch-Vinnie-Jones-c.jpg

Have the .44 DE. Love it. Shoot it all the time. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Go for it. You wont regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you say its unreliable?

I've seen YouTube videos, maybe it's limp wristing or the reciprocating bolt and under powered ammo but am were having issues cycling. I've gotten to a poit where I just want a gun for the cool factor and I'm feeling like the DE could be it. I also see the point in going 50AE, but am concerned about finding ammo. 44 mag is hard to find but in wouldn't think as hard to find.

I considered ordering a matte chrome 44 mag DE since I reload 44 mag but at over $1,600, I would much rather spend that money on a different gun. Like a customized CZ SP-01 Shadow for example. But to each their own of course.

I was hoping someone else would post the negatives. I had one in the early 80's, bought brand new. There were 2 problems from the git. I have small hands
and had a problem working the safety one handed. The other was reliability with factory ammunition to include failures to eject. The heavier weight bullets worked better but...... I solved this, of course, by reloading but was getting brass failure way too early in ammunition that worked properly. My brilliant solution for that was to try cut down .444 brass which miraculously fit. Only problem there was I couldn't use my .44 die to resize as the base was too big. So I ground down my .444 die, did the best I could with it and kinda sorta reverse neck-sized with the .44 seating die. That solution was short lived. The new problem was gas spitting. Now I HAD to wear glasses negating the use as a carry gun. Yes, I'd gotten a shoulder holster with a balancing act of two magazines, but don't ordinarily wear glasses in every day life. So the last straw became the difficulty of obtaining .44 Magnum brass. After several thousand rounds with many hundreds of, then hard to procure, .44 Magnum brass, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I sold it, with full disclosure, at a loss. ( I had one each of the 6? different magazines )

In retrospect, I'm reasonably certain that I'd gotten a defective pistol in that the chamber was too large. There was one undeniable plus to owning it, the WOW factor.

A friend of mine has one that I shot back in the 90's. It was reliable and we never had any issues or failures with it.
My problem is that I have small hands and the thing is a beast.
Otherwise it put a smile on everyone's face when they shot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one in .357 and it is very reliable. It is just there for the cool factor. [smile]

With the weight and gas action, my 97 lb. niece was able to comfortably fire it. The trigger is not great, but other than that, I like it.

I have one in .357 and it is very reliable. It is just there for the cool factor. [smile]

With the weight and gas action, my 97 lb. niece was able to comfortably fire it. The trigger is not great, but other than that, I like it.

Meh, I'll take my Coonan 357 mag 1911 over a DE[smile]

Why not get a 357 and at least have some commonality between revolvers and your DE? at least with the weight it will make it probably pleasant to shoot ?
I have one and its one of the funnest guns to shoot that i have. Amazingly accurate for such a big gun 50AE and is better than most for longer ranges. I have the all stainless with muzzle brake. One thing Magnum research could have done better is give a stainless magazine with a stainless gun instead of the 25cent black painted one that jambs up on the last round. Both of the stock ones if there is just one round it will sometimes fall out.

I've seen YouTube videos, maybe it's limp wristing or the reciprocating bolt and under powered ammo but am were having issues cycling. I've gotten to a poit where I just want a gun for the cool factor and I'm feeling like the DE could be it. I also see the point in going 50AE, but am concerned about finding ammo. 44 mag is hard to find but in wouldn't think as hard to find.

Shot a friend’s .44mag, had the same experience. Didn’t cycle very well, felt a little under powered. Was fun to shoot and a cool gun but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to get one.

For big, heavy, gaudy have you looked at a .44 Automag? They are being produced again and some are in the wild already. Starline makes the brass, Hornady has the dies and Lee produced a special run of factory crimp dies. I'll be making a batch using H110 and XTP's for a couple original models.

EDTA: I just noticed this thread is a 2016 re-run.

I don't own one but shot one in .44 magnum with full power factory ammo. It was very accurate and the mildest shooting .44 magnum handgun I've ever fired. It's a very big gun but I have large hands so it fit me fine.

Back
Top Bottom