• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do Police Departments make obtaining LTC so difficult ?

Some police departments, not all. In Shrewsbury its a simple straight nice process just takes a little time. The issuing officer was a very cool guy, we talked about the kids, the town, gardening and all sorts of shit.

I'm serious.

What's in it for them to be difficult ?

1. Many police chiefs don't believe that the little people should have guns. So if they make it hard, maybe you'll go away, or even better, never apply in the first place.

2. Because they can.

3. So that you respect their authoritay!

4. Because they always have more things to do than money to do them, so they drop that to the bottom of the list.

really depends on the town got mine in 5 weeks. they quoted me 6-8 weeks. and my girlfriend paperwork was processed a week before the ct shooting and still got it 5 weeks I was surprised

I'm serious.

What's in it for them to be difficult ?

I think that in this state people have the default mindset of why. What I mean by that is they have the why do you need that? why do you worry about someone: attacking you, breaking into your home, etc. Why don't you think that the police are going to be able to help? They have the idea that this is a civilized society and owning guns is not necessary. They will say "ok hunting sure" but then they will think why hunt the grocery store has everything you will need. Sport "ok sure skeet or trap I get it then all you need is a shot gun." That's my opinion of the general populace here in this state and probably in the northeast and west coast.

It basically boils down to how much time an resources a department allocates to firearms. If you only have one or to officers doing appointments twice a week for a few hours and a 200 person waiting list you're going to have a considerable wait.

That is another excuse and not the applicants problem. That state has 40 days issue or denie the License. Just now something is being done (Everett Case). There is state law, and they are bound by it.

There may be a State Law, but there is absolutely no consequence to breaking it.

That's the PROBLEM.

BTW, my 40th Day is tomorrow, January 22nd, 2013.

Not holding my breath.

I think its a control thing as well a a logistics thing some places may only have a part timer or only do them on certain days, etc

More guns in the hands of citizens => less crime => less work for police => downsizing => back to flipping burgers.
Less guns in the hands of citizens => more crime => more work for police => new people hired, old people promoted.

More guns in the hands of citizens => less crime => less work for police => downsizing => back to flipping burgers.
Less guns in the hands of citizens => more crime => more work for police => new people hired, old people promoted.

Ok. But then Police Departments should support the NRA (and Bill Clinton) in placing Police Details in every school !

My Patrolman buddy agreed it would be a hundred times sweeter than standing out in the cold guarding a pothole.

Some animals are more equal than others. Don't they make you read in school anymore?

Yes and no. I had to read Animal Farm on my own, because my English teacher "didn't think it portrayed life accurately" I mean yeah, I suppose pigs can't govern.....

.... unless they're in charge of firearm licensing.

There may be a State Law, but there is absolutely no consequence to breaking it.

That's the PROBLEM.

BTW, my 40th Day is tomorrow, January 22nd, 2013.

Not holding my breath.

you should serve them with papers for intent to appeal the denial (maybe comm2a can help/recommend a lawyer)

41068cb2_bb240ab1_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg

Because they can. They are reminding you that they are superior to you. How dare you ask such a question, You must be one of those unsuitable people.

This^

That is another excuse and not the applicants problem. That state has 40 days issue or denie the License. Just now something is being done (Everett Case). There is state law, and they are bound by it.

That's the PROBLEM.

That's not the only law that they break on a regular basis, here's one many PD's totally ignore:

MGL CH 140 ss 131P Section 131P.

(a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section; and provided further, that an applicant for a firearms identification card for the sole purpose of purchasing or possessing chemical mace, pepper spray or other similarly propelled liquid, gas or powder designed to temporarily incapacitate shall not be required to complete a basic firearms safety course as a prerequisite for receiving such card. Persons lawfully possessing a firearm identification card or license to carry firearms on June 1, 1998 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section upon expiration of such card or license and when applying for licensure as required under this chapter."

I've been licensed since the early 80's, so by law I'm specifically exempted from showing a BFS certificate for renewals, but the licensing officer told me I need to take a course and get a new certificate. I pointed out this exemption in the law and was told flat out "we don't care what the law says, we want you to take a course and get a certificate".

My town is green and I got the feeling in the process that they didn't have a problem giving me the LTC, but it took a very long time. I think it was just a matter of the department not giving any sort of priority to getting it done. Since there is no penalty, and budgets are always strained, it took much longer than it should have.

It took me a total of 8 months to get my license from the day I put in the application to the day they called me up saying my license was there. It almost drove me crazy with the anxiety I was feeling!

Here in Maine I just had to fill out a form give them a copy of my DD214 and wait about four weeks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

It might be a control issue for some and political pressure for others, but my experience in general is that it boils down to what their personal opinion is regarding whether civilians should be allowed to carry. I grew up in Westfield and the chief at that time wouldn't issue what was then a 'Pistol Permit' for all lawful purposes to any civilian, including a judge that had applied. It just wasn't going to happen.

A couple years ago, I moved to Easton and the process couldn't have been more friendly and smooth when I applied.

Back
Top Bottom