• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why Everyone Needs An AR-15

I didn't watch the whole video, but jumped my way through - didn't see an actual reason why I need an AR. Never fired one, don't intend to shoot one, much less own one now.

You do you, though.
I was once like you as well.
Then it changed when I got an upper for short money

with AR, you need many, many uppers. many calibers, many lengths. Once your upper collection reaches 20, you have just enough to get started.
When it comes to lowers, you need at least four: two M4, two AR-15. Then you need to double that as spares.

So for the bare minimum, one needs 20 uppers and 8 lowers.

I didn't watch the whole video, but jumped my way through - didn't see an actual reason why I need an AR. Never fired one, don't intend to shoot one, much less own one now.

You do you, though.
True - very few people truly need an AR
But the platform scratches a wide range of itches from a sub $500 bargain basement tool to the multi-K Gucci toys.

It's also an easy platform to build up fron a paperweight for those who want to try out building something that will work before trying something like a 1911.

You do you, though.
So commie guns, eh?

So commie guns, eh?
Nah, Fudd guns all the way for me.

I thought the M16A1 sucked when I was in basic, and thought the M4 was even worse when I retired.

No need or use for neutered civilian models of crappy guns. If SHTF, I’ll stick with my 30-30.

What keeps me from being a Fudd is: if you think you need an AR or ten, knock yourself out. I DGAF what you want yo shoot, just don’t try to take mine.

Nah, Fudd guns all the way for me.

I thought the M16A1 sucked when I was in basic, and thought the M4 was even worse when I retired.

No need or use for neutered civilian models of crappy guns. If SHTF, I’ll stick with my 30-30.

What keeps me from being a Fudd is: if you think you need an AR or ten, knock yourself out. I DGAF what you want yo shoot, just don’t try to take mine.
I know many like you. The not Fudds. Maybe Throwback Tacticools.
Garands and M1 carbines.
Colt 1911s and trench brooms.
Won two World Wars.....
45-70 Winchester
30-30 Marlin
Colt SAA .45
How the west was won.
I get it. Those are some legends truly, and in a different world I would own those. I really have no desire to own more than one black rifle.
Partisans these days need arms of a more current vintage however, so here we are.

Okay I have just one AR15. But here’s the problem I see… every time I have an interest in a firearm that I don’t own, someone in one of the many thread states that “everyone should have this as part of their collection“. So I start out thinking I want it, but it turns out that I really NEED it.

OK, I was looking at my guns and I think I’m going to cross over to the dark side. I’ve been taking my shotgun deer hunting instead of my 30-30, because I’m really hunting small game. I don’t really like deer hunting. I’ll never hunt bear or moose. So this weekend I got the idea to trade my JM Marlin 336 for an AR.

Here’s my problem, that I hope NES can help.

I looked at a ton of ARs this weekend and they’re all the same and they all suck. All have collapsing stocks. No carry handle. No sights. Heavy cheese grater forends. They’re all dense and too heavy for what they are. The M16s I remember were light and smooth, there weren’t a lot of sharp edges all over them.

What I want is an A1 style. No frills. Im in NH, so pre ban or pre Healy doesn’t mean anything to me, but what I want is an “old gun”. I’ll settle for A2.

What am I looking for? Is there a source for old A1 uppers to stick on a new lower? I really don’t want to build a gun, but I can put two halves together, even if I need to replace a stock.

OK, I was looking at my guns and I think I’m going to cross over to the dark side. I’ve been taking my shotgun deer hunting instead of my 30-30, because I’m really hunting small game. I don’t really like deer hunting. I’ll never hunt bear or moose. So this weekend I got the idea to trade my JM Marlin 336 for an AR.

I looked at a ton of ARs this weekend and they’re all the same and they all suck. All have collapsing stocks. No carry handle. No sights. Heavy cheese grater forends. They’re all dense and too heavy for what they are. The M16s I remember were light and smooth, there weren’t a lot of sharp edges all over them.

What I want is an A1 style. No frills. Im in NH, so pre ban or pre Healy doesn’t mean anything to me, but what I want is an “old gun”. I’ll settle for A2.

What am I looking for? Is there a source for old A1 uppers to stick on a new lower? I really don’t want to build a gun, but I can put two halves together, even if I need to replace a stock.

I, too, believe the only really acceptable "AR" is the M16A1 configuration. Kudos.

What I learned, after finally scoring an SP1, was that even the "acceptable" configuration was still a gun I didn't want. If you're just not an AR guy, you're just not an AR guy.

Try looking around for a Daewoo or an AR-180. Those are my 5.56 rifles of choice.

You can get sig m400.

Or read this and make your decision.

Or may be all you want is an old sks? 👹

My lightweight ARs now are LaRue predatAr and ruger sfar. .223 and .308, both in 16” barrels and lpvo scopes

Back
Top Bottom