Why Im considering no longer carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domestics suck. Especially if it appears that the two people involved are in mutual combat. All you can really do is call the cops and observe. Intervening is taking a huge risk unless it is painfully obvious who is the real aggressor. I'm not against intervention at all but you have to protect
your ass, too. There are huge risks you have to weigh, legally and physically. Some of these people in these domestic incidents are both psychos. Many times an incident "is what it is" but many times "things are not as they may appear". It is worse if you come upon it and
don't see the start of the altercation.

Let's put it this way... LEOs hate domestics because of this problem... and they have badges, OC, batons, and tasers, and a city/union to pay their legal bills. That should tell you something right there.

-Mike

Last edited:
Domestics suck. Especially if it appears that the two people involved are in mutual combat. All you can really do is call the cops and observe. Intervening is taking a huge risk unless it is painfully obvious who is the real aggressor.

Let's put it this way... LEOs hate domestics because of this problem... and they have badges, OC, batons, and tasers, and a city/union to pay their legal bills. That should tell you something right there.

-Mike

This is why when I was a medic.....we waited for the "Blue Canaries" to come out and say it was all clear. My point is that if you can't judge a grey area, maybe you shouldn't carry. It is everybody's right, but you need to seriously address your mental picture and judge if you can deal with the responsibility.

All you can do in a situation like that is yell at the guy and call 911. It doesn't sound like this was particularly awful assault (not that hitting a girl is ok). The OP said "assault," but I have no idea if that means a simple shove or a fist in the face. You also don't know what preceded it. For all we know she hit him first and he reacted without thinking. I know my wife used to be in the habit of playfully smacking me and I had to get her to stop it because I'd come very close to hitting her back, hard, without even thinking about it. It's an automatic reaction, especially if I wasn't expecting it.

Say something, observe, call 911 and be ready to dive in if it gets serious. That's all you can do.

All you can do in a situation like that is yell at the guy and call 911.
Say something, observe, call 911 and be ready to dive in if it gets serious. That's all you can do.

I agree. Lets be realistic, as soon as you intervene even with a polite "miss are in you in danger" chances are the guy is going to immediately attack you. Now if you are prepared to shoot and kill this unarmed guy and deal with the consequences that's your business. If you are some crazy ninja who knows all kinds of fighting moves that's great as well. But if you are just a regular guy, espically if you have been a few fights before, you know how brutal street fights can be. Disgusting, horrible injuries happen in the blink of eye.

When I was a trauma nurse, I saw first hand how much damage a kick to face or a punch to the back of the head can do. Someone angry enough to assault a woman in public is a very dangerous person. I'd think twice before intervening just to make a point. If the woman's life is not in danger, call the police. OC the heck out the guy might be a good option too. But, a fist fight with a some unarmed, lunatic is a worst case situation - it should be avoided unless someone's life depends on it.

Jesus. I'm checking my list of folks I'd welcome into my compound if SHTF or I ever got enough money to start my own township. It's not a long list.

Jesus. I'm checking my list of folks I'd welcome into my compound if SHTF or I ever got enough money to start my own township. It's not a long list.
If your township had reasonable laws that encouraged citizens to look out for one another and the concept of being a good Samaritan, had tough prison sentences for convicted criminals, protected those who help and didn't have lawyers at every corner waiting for an opportunity to sue anyone at the drop of the hat...

I suspect many here would both qualify to be a part of it as well as embrace it.

If you do insert yourself into said situation....you can always say "Miss, do you need some help?" This way you aren't suddenly the target of her anger for interferring in a lovers quarrel.

this is so sexist.... have ever seen a 5'10", 250 pound female beat her baby's daddy with a frying pan? then pull out a knife and start stabbing with it because he banged her sister?

[rolleyes]

in the real world, it's not always a 5'2" petite woman getting beat by a 6'2" weight lifter on steroids because she didn't check in on time

this is so sexist.... have ever seen a 5'10", 250 pound female beat her baby's daddy with a frying pan? then pull out a knife and start stabbing with it because he banged her sister?

[rolleyes]

in the real world, it's not always a 5'2" petite woman getting beat by a 6'2" weight lifter on steroids because she didn't check in on time

Yeah, but it usually is. These types always pick on those they know they can dominate. When confronted with real force, they run like a little girl. Sure, they may posture, but they are cowards at heart.

To the OP,
Thanks for the post. I carry about 95% of the time. You've given me the motivation to carry the other 5%.

If your township had reasonable laws that encouraged citizens to look out for one another and the concept of being a good Samaritan, had tough prison sentences for convicted criminals, protected those who help and didn't have lawyers at every corner waiting for an opportunity to sue anyone at the drop of the hat...

I suspect many here would both qualify to be a part of it as well as embrace it.

Probably not. I don't have a lot of use for people who can turn off their desire to help.

Probably not. I don't have a lot of use for people who can turn off their desire to help.
Fair enough, I hear what you're saying. For what it's worth, I think everyone would do something. I think calling the police is helping and is doing something. What's at issue is how involved are you willing to get. I would never walk away completely from a situation like this but I admit I'd be hesitant to get more involved and as the OP said I agree that CCW makes it more complex of a question.

Fair enough, I hear what you're saying. For what it's worth, I think everyone would do something. I think calling the police is helping and is doing something. What's at issue is how involved are you willing to get. I would never walk away completely from a situation like this but I admit I'd be hesitant to get more involved and as the OP said I agree that CCW makes it more complex of a question.

Agree 100%. Reason why is because MA is such an anti gun state and lawyers will have a field day with us in a courtroom mainly because of the way the laws are written in this state.

WOOT WOOT!

power_to_the_sheeple_obama_sticker-p217556007480502422qjcl_400.jpg

getting the cops isn't always the answer, either. would you like it if your neighbor, or someone on the street, called up the police the one time you just happened to have some off-hand, loud, public argument with your husband or wife? worst case: the first thing they do is "calm you down." the second thing they do is ask you about your guns. the third thing they do is take them. "just in case." consider that the man or the woman who is on the defensive, who momentarily enjoys the relief of a figure of authority putting an end to the verbal altercation, then considers the situation handled and wants the authorities to leave. tough luck! that's "protocol."

the guy with the badge you're calling is a normal everyday person just like you. they're equally capable of f***ing up. they're just as emotional. they're also carrying a gun. they're not going to do any better or any worse than you are at calming these people down. it takes maybe 15 minutes of searching online to find all the material you need to learn a thing or two about conflict resolution that you can apply right then and there. in the past ten days i have taught myself to use a lathe, a drill press, and how to solder, while working full time, and keeping up with current events (i also read a chapter or two of the bible every night before bed). there's really no excuse. if you're prepared enough to carry a gun -- the ass-end of the continuum of force -- you damn well better be prepared to exercise the rest of it.

of course when someone's beating someone on the pavement, go ahead and get your tax dollars worth and call 'em up.

Last edited:
Keep the beer (I can't have any...bummer...).

I'll never have to worry about ammo. Ever.

I think his point is that, decent human beings who care about other people would help someone else, even outside the constraints of unreasonable laws. Just because the law might make your life difficult doesn't mean it is right to do nothing.

Unless and until the OP describes the "assault" in a lot more detail I'll reserve judgement.

OP, if by "assault" you meant a shove, then you did the right thing. If he was beating her up, it's another question entirely.

No one here is going to just walk away when someone is getting beat up (I would hope). But intervening in a domestic dispute you know nothing about by automatically charging in and attacking someone is just stupid beyond belief.

Since simply saying "Hey, what the Hell are you doing!?," and calling 911 will do the job in most every case, I fail to see the reason for calls to instantly jump in and get violent.

You have a duty to intervene in a case of a genuine assault. You do NOT have a duty to intervene in a minor domestic squabble and you're a fool of the first order if you do so.

You have a duty to intervene in a case of a genuine assault. You do NOT have a duty to intervene in a minor domestic squabble and you're a fool of the first order if you do so.

Really? Are you making that as an assertion of LAW?

If so, you are WRONG.

A few weeks ago I went out to dinner with some friends for a B-day party dinner. While walking to my Car I saw a couple argueing and then the man assult the Woman. I was carrying!! haveing a small Daughter of my own it hit a nerve big time. I wanted SOOO bad to intervien. However, haveing a Firearm on me made me second guess. What if my Gun is exposed? What if he has a weapon and I have to draw???...(this is Mass, had to think of my family) I knew of a LEO working a detail about a block and a half away so I quickly made it to him and informed him.

If not carrying I would have beat him to a pulp. But all I could think of was, if police arive I will be the bad guy because I am carrying Legally..Nothing against Woman ,but i've worked in a sector of law where I know more times then not if the shit hit the fan the Girl will take the side of her boyfriend. Any self respecting LEO would have sent me on my way if not armed and I interviened, but my Firearm made me walk away. its still eating at me[crying]

Your firearm made you think before acting. That's a good thing not a bad thing.

If you weren't carrying you would have beat him to a pulp? Well, it's a good thing you were carrying then.

You didn't intervene? If you knew there was professional help around the corner and in your opinion the woman's life wasn't being threatened at the moment then maybe you did the right thing.

I don't know why you would consider not carrying anymore because of this...unless for some reason you want to go about life not thinking about the consequences of "stepping in"

Really? Are you making that as an assertion of LAW?

If so, you are WRONG.

Maybe not MA law, but certainly MAN law..... Or call it common decency if you want. There shouldn't have to be a law for something so obvious.

EDIT: Just to be clear (because I know someone will call me out,) I'm not in any way saying that stepping in and "beating him to a pulp" would be the decent thing to do. There are other things besides getting physical. Force continuum and all that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom