• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why isn't there a firearms store in Westford MA?

And before anyone wants to cut this down I do know about the ban that the anti's are pushing for, but there has to be a good reason why there isn't any from before all the bullshit... Now please enlighten me =)

start with researching the zoning ordinances for the town, go from there.

Find a place where it is allowed by zoning.

Residential Address

No, but if the environment is that hostile to drive-thrus, I can only imagine what would happen if [STRIKE=.]a[/STRIKE] another gun store opened up.

Talk about a hair-trigger double-barreled shit machine gun.

***Nevermind. Apparently, there is one:
EDS GUN SHOP - WESTFORD, MA - 411 GUN

I might be mistaken, but I believe the address for Ed's Gun Shop is residential, not commercial. Didn't the 1998 MA law fiasco mandate no more home-based gun sellers? Either Ed has managed to retain his FFL and operate on'gunbroker' OR the info on 411gun.com is badly outdated.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the address for Ed's Gun Shop is residential, not commercial. Didn't the 1998 MA law fiasco mandate no more home-based gun sellers? Either Ed has managed to retain his FFL and operate on'gunbroker' OR the info on 411gun.com is badly outdated.

I had a feeling that was true. I kept trying to find more info, but there was really nothing more out there. I would have called to verify, then I looked at the time.

Yeah, that is definitely somebody's house. It's about 1/4 mile from my house, and I hope that I would know if there were a gun shop there.

I suspect that it may have to do with the cost of real estate in Westford. We are not-so-slowly losing all of our 'lower end' businesses (Burger King, Wendys, Boston Market, Applebees, etc...) and they are being replaced with 'fancier' establishments (Chipotle, Panera, Burtons, BBC, etc...).

Just a theory.

I'm going to take a WAG that there's a lot fewer gun shops in MA than there are towns and cities. I bet the same is true in NH.

There's a lot of information about how to make sure a building/business needs to be zoned but it doesn't say anything specifically related to firearms. After finding a place that would be properly zoned, who do you talk with about finding out if the town will even allow such a business?

Just read thru the zoning. There is no mention of a gun shop specifically, which is good, because it means they are not prohibited. If one wanted to open a gun shop there, they would need to comply with building, parking and signage regulations just like any other retail commercial use. You cant be in a residential zone. The only thing i saw reading the regs is they seem to have a bug up their but about cell towers, drive thrus, and adult book stores. Of course, If a group in town decides to change the zoning to prohibit a gun shop, they pretty much can, if it passes a town vote. Best thing to do would be rent an existing space, and get in there quick. Then you are grandfathered.

are you looking to open a shop there?

Last edited:
Okay, here's a question... Is it bad that after doing some serious thinking, that I think opening a store in NH would be much more profitable??? I mean, if I'm a MA resident, wouldn't it be better for MA if I opened the store in MA? I feel like I'm doing something wrong taking the business into another state just because this state sucks in regards to MGL... Any thoughts???

Back
Top Bottom