Why no .40?

This is the only 40 I've ever had.

5532859815_abd1911054_b.jpg

If I recall correctly, EC once said:
"The 40 was invented by French women so they would have something to shoot while their husbands cook."[rofl]
A truly great line. [grin] All EC's writings are fun to read. And yet the real truth is that the .40 isn't more popular today just because of the "snappiness" of the recoil in primarily smaller, plastic pistols. [laugh] Almost exactly the opposite of what the "short & weak" crowd would have us believe.

A .40s&w is really not any better of a stopping power than a 9mm, and yes the rounds are more expensive.

If you don't feel a 9mm is enough stopping power for you, the best from a ballistic stand point in a semi automatic is 10mm

A .40s&w is really not any better of a stopping power than a 9mm, and yes the rounds are more expensive.

If you don't feel a 9mm is enough stopping power for you, the best from a ballistic stand point in a semi automatic is 10mm

I have to say it:

Your font size and at the addition of the color to your posts makes babies cry.

I always thought that if you could shoot a 40 which is the bastard of cartridges then you can shoot anything. That is my public excuse for buying a sigma in 40. Between that and the m******* trigger if I ever get a real gun I should be a crack shot

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

For the same reason that golden retrievers bite so many people.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Only thing my Golden Retriever ever bit was the dining room furniture, the wall baseboards, the new couch, the recliner, every single shoe (about 25 pairs) my Sicilian wife had in her closet ("WTF??? GET THIS F*CKIN DOG OUTTA HERE.. NOW!!!") etc etc etc..

Last edited:
All the statistics I've seen show that there is very little difference between cartridges in shots to end the confrontation. Where the hole is is far more important than how big it is. Shoot what you are accurate with, especially on the 2nd and 3rd shots.

With the improvement of 9mm defensive ammunition, people feel that the 9mm Is equal to the forty, but haven't the same improvements made to the .40? Example Federal HST. I use a Ruger SR40C and I'll argue my accuracy is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only thing forty has over nine is slightly better penetration of laminated auto glass and car doors. Which to the average person in a defensive situation is a negligible benefit compared to the downsides.

I made the mistake of buying a forty for my first and regret it. The hit to your wallet and palms going through a box of ammo adds up.

With the improvement of 9mm defensive ammunition, people feel that the 9mm Is equal to the forty, but haven't the same I was improvements made to the .40? Example Federal HST. I use a Ruger SR40C and I'll argue my accuracy is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

That is the question I always ask (as in post 38). Never any reply. If you like the nine, it only applies to the nine. The real reason people love the nine is because they are cheap ba$tids and the nine is the cheapest self-defense round... [laugh]

Why bother with .45ACP when you have .30-06? One of the reasons why I never cared about pistol caliber wars was the fact that a .30-06 or a .45-70 will destroy a target. The point of a carry pistol/HD pistol is to get to a rifle and then use that.

The mafia got by fine with just a .22. [laugh]

Why bother with .45ACP when you have .30-06? One of the reasons why I never cared about pistol caliber wars was the fact that a .30-06 or a .45-70 will destroy a target. The point of a carry pistol/HD pistol is to get to a rifle and then use that.
50BMG.jpg

That's a Star Modelo Super B 9mm and not a 1911
You're not supposed to know that! Stop bringing logic into my trolling!

I didn't realize so many girls posted here.

My first pistol was a S&W Mod 66 .357 mag.
My second was a Colt 1911 Series 70 custom
My third was a T/C 10" .22 rimfire because the prior owner lost his LTC for threatening his wife. I went out and bought a Super 14 .44 mag barrel for it right away.
Still have #2 and #3.

I guess I started with recoil and learned to deal with it.[smile]

.38 I suspect you might see more .357 SIGs if you remove the .4 or bigger rule however it'd have .40 S&W mag sizes with a .357" bullet but a little more power than a 9x19.

357 Sig has been approved for USPSA Major in Limited and Limited 10 for over a year. There hasn't been much of a rush to start shooting it.

I was recently shown a photo of a range accident (not local), and the 9mm bullet hole looked just like the one in the photo.

BUT.... it was not "okay". The bullet entered the person's calf and broke the leg in 3 places. Fortunately, the shooter was also an EMT and started working on his victim immediately and had him all packed up and ready to go by the time the ambulance came. The victim is back shooting, but it took him a full year to recover, and still is not at 100% in the shot leg.

only-9mm_o_888215.jpg

Total babe. I'm just wondering if that was a total photoshop, or how that picture came to be.

Back
Top Bottom