• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why no .40?

Back from the dead!

No significant ballistic advantage over 9mm, lower capacity, more recoil, more expensive to shoot, more wear/tear, etc.

Short of competition, not much reason to choose .40, hence why I sold my 40s many years ago.

It’s always a good thing to have a few guns in 40 S&W. Right now times are good and ammo readily available in just about every caliber. Wait until election time and everyone panickes, then 40 is the only ammo left on the shelf.

40 tends to have more recoil than 9 or 45 depending on the gun. But with practice you can be just as quick with them. 9mm is cheaper, less recoil and readily available so right now that tends to be the go to.

The ballistic war is over: .40 lost.
It probably wouldn't still exist if not for the concept a "major power factor" and police departments with mindset stuck in the golden 90's . It's cold because it's true.
If that didn't trigger someone then:
The 1911 didn't win any world wars, Glocks are plastic trash, Sigs will explode with prolonged-direct eye contact, "stopping power" is real and it's spectacular, .357 mag snubnoses are a girls best friend, CZ's are for tweens/hipsters, Kimbers jam and will enlarge your prostate, Colt still makes the best handguns, Kel-tec rules, Pump action shotguns are the best home defense weapon ever, .32 ACP is a capable caliber for self-defense etc etc etc [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Last edited:
The ballistic war is over: .40 lost.
It probably wouldn't exist if not for the concept a "major power factor". It's cold because it's true. If that didn't trigger someone then:
The 1911 didn't win any world wars, Glocks are plastic trash, Sigs will explode with prolonged-direct eye contact, "stopping power" is real and it's spectacular, .357 mag snubnoses are a girls best friend, CZ's are for tweens/hipsters, Kimbers jam and will enlarge your prostate, Colt still makes the best handguns, Kel-tec rules, Pump action shotguns are the best home defense weapon ever, .32 ACP is a capable caliber for self-defense etc etc etc [laugh][laugh][laugh]
So do you use snow tires or not?

You posted in a necro thread, in order to make a bad joke about "fixing" my statement into poor grammar?

I'll add that to the list of reasons I haven't posted to NES in like 6 months....

Seriously man,

It's a light hearted joke. If you make a post implying that people who own 40s are women, but can't handle the same implication in reverse, in an OBVIOUS light-hearted manner..... Maybe you shouldn't be making fun of (joking or not) people on NES.

I mean, sure, make a joke that you don't own a .40 cause you aren't a woman. I actually thought it was a funny post, which is why I responded jokingly.

Just don't post something like that and cry about it if someone makes a joke back. Not very manly bro, maybe you need to go buy a .40 so you can toughen up a bit!
(Just a joke man, you don't need hide in a closet and cry, everything will be fine)

I've got too much $ invested in .40. Just in ammo. So I'm in no rush to sell my Fo-Teez.

Related question: Bawitdabaw lyrics: "G's with the 40's and the chicks with beepers."

Are they Ganstahz with 40-oz adult malt beverages OR

FEEBS with Fo-Tee's?????

I've always thought that was a funny line.

when I first received my LTC in the early 90's the forty was the hot cartridge, many PD's were transitioning from their revolvers to Glocks and the forty had more knockdown power than the 9mm. I bought a Gen 2 G23 and later a G22 and a M&P .40. I'm older now and 9mm is cheaper and kicks less and the load had improved. I have a Gen3 G22 and G23 that I bought new 9mm slides and barrels for so I have the best of both worlds.

Friends don't let Friends buy 40's [cheers]
I'd rather have a 9mm, .357, .45acp or 10mm
My Department carries the GLOCK 22, and I constantly tell them... Drop the GLOCK 22 in favor of a GLOCK 19 or M&P 9mm.

40 is a compromised 10mm.
And the 40 became kind of a compromise between 9 and 45.

Nothing “wrong” with per se. but I have sold every 40 I have ever owned. For most all of the reasons already mentioned here.

I had a .40 once. Nothing bad to say about it except that I never wanted a second gun in the same caliber. Meanwhile, there are several 9mm and .45 guns that I have or wish to get, so why have one random .40 kicking around?

I went to the range with a buddy of mine a couple of years ago. He brought a couple of guns, including a his M&P in .40 he asked me if I wanted to try it. I said "no thanks, I'm good". [laugh][laugh][laugh]
I would say having a gun in .40 might be a good idea because of ammo availability issue in the future, but that's why I horde 9mm. I have enough calibers in my life, if I wanted an odd ball that wasn't pleasant to shoot, I would make it something really fun.

I have a few guns in 40 for one reason: USPSA Limited major power factor scoring. I roll size in addition to using a U-die but I also do the same thing with my 9mm. 40 is straight wall rather than tapered, that has some benefits. 40 is very versatile if you reload: I can be easily loaded from minor to major and support a wide range of bullet weights. I have run across a few but there is a LOT less crimped primers in 40 than in 9mm if you reload. That being said all my carry guns are 9mm or 38 special.

Back
Top Bottom