• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why No More UZIs?

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
From what I understand, the reason there are no more Uzis being imported into the USA is because of the AWB in 1993. The same goes for AKs, etc. But why are there no variants being produced in the US like there are with AKs? Why, if we have a great relationship with Israel, has this ban not been lifted? Why aren't there any US companies which specialize in reproductions, like with the MP5? Is this due to copyright/patents? Can some knowledgable NES members descend from the upper echelons and answer these questions? Thank you all for your time and stay healthy and safe.

Someone with deep pockets and a Vision could do it...

And then there's this: KR103 Rifle

American Made...
1597347793892.png
1597347980132.png
$1,059.00 MSRP
COMING SOON!

An absolutely 100% American Made AK is finally here! The AK-103 was one of the last designs overseen directly by Mikhail Kalashnikov within the iconic AK platform. Based on the AK-74, the 103 will accept all AK74/AKM furniture and accessories. Chambered in 7.62×39 the AK103 returns to it’s roots and provides the consumer with the traditional round chosen by the Russian Army for decades. Now Kalashnikov USA is proud to offer the world that exact design with our new KR103.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • 30 Round Magazine
  • OAL Extended 36.75″
  • Barrel Length 16.33″
  • Weight 7.65 lb
  • Chrome Lined Button Rifled Barrel
  • Forged Carrier
  • 5.5mm Forged Trunnion
  • Chrome Lined Gas System
  • Cleaning Rod
  • Side Optic Rail
  • Fixed Stock

EDIT: Would love a "Retro" version with wood...
1597351662016.png

Last edited:
Not 100% sure, but it could be because they’re simply outdated. You’re taking about cheap stamped receiver with an even cheaper telescoping bolt. Magazine well within pistol grip. They were made primarily as SMGs.
But yeah it would be nice to bring them back like the MP5s.

From what I understand, the reason there are no more Uzis being imported into the USA is because of the AWB in 1993. The same goes for AKs, etc.
I believe it was Bush's ban on non-sporting semi-autos that started things, not the Clinton ban, although I think Uzi tried to get around it. Otherwise, with the Federal ban expired in 2004, they'd be back. There's also the issue of open bolt/closed bolt, but I imagine semi-auto Uzis these days would use a closed bolt.
AKs are being imported, see Arsenal, Zastava, Cugir, and others...they're just jumping through hoops with 922r, opening single stack magwells, etc.
But why are there no variants being produced in the US like there are with AKs? Why, if we have a great relationship with Israel, has this ban not been lifted?
Good question, although it's clear Democrats don't want any more firearms imported and most Republicans, the president included, would rather not upset US manufacturers than allow imports. Trump hasn't let Saigas come flowing in, or Type 56 rifles, etc. There appears to be little political will to do favors for gun owners.

Why aren't there any US companies which specialize in reproductions, like with the MP5? Is this due to copyright/patents?
It's not cheap to start producing guns. Materials, machining, prototypes, trials, etc. How many people would want to spend $1000+ on an Uzi that's going to be inferior to practically every other PCC out there? You either get a pistol version and deal with a brace or a $200 tax stamp, or you get the ugly looking 16'' carbine versions that offer nothing other than nostalgia and then decide whether you want to SBR it.

I just don't think there's a market out there for what a semi-auto Uzi brings to the table. The MP5 clones exist, but the MP5 design is still viable, and the clones are still going for roughly $2000+. Who's lining up to buy a $2000 semi-auto Uzi? Not enough people to justify the start-up costs, I'd wager. There's plenty of PCCs out there that are much more modular and accurate and cost fractions of what an Uzi would run you. The Uzi itself is kind of niche, and there's enough originals out there to satisfy the demand. I know exponentially more HK fanboys than I know IMI/Uzi fanboys (I actually am not sure I know of any real Uzi diehard fans, but I'm sure they exist).

This, of course, is different than the 22lr Uzi GSG was making. I think it's like $300. That, theoretically, could be fun to cut/crown and SBR as a plinker.

Last edited:
They are pretty much obsolete at this point in time. The pistol version is imported currently, but its unable to be sold in MA. You can buy stamped receivers to build your own still ,if you want to go that route. I have a Vector MG that I enjoy shooting and is very controllable in FA , so I can see why they still are wanted.

From what I understand, the reason there are no more Uzis being imported into the USA is because of the AWB in 1993. The same goes for AKs, etc. But why are there no variants being produced in the US like there are with AKs? Why, if we have a great relationship with Israel, has this ban not been lifted? Why aren't there any US companies which specialize in reproductions, like with the MP5? Is this due to copyright/patents? Can some knowledgable NES members descend from the upper echelons and answer these questions? Thank you all for your time and stay healthy and safe.

The short answer.... "Not profitable. " If you had equipment that could stamp out guns, why would you waste time making uzis when you can make MP5 clones? Same kind of
deal. To make an uzi that isn't shit in the US, and sell it, is probably going to cost at least like $1000. And it's not going to have anything on it that people want in a PCC. No rails, no mounts,
heavy, etc.

Like as an example.... you take a gun consumer.... Ruger PC9, CZ Scorpion, (insert some other decent PCC here there are a half dozen of them) and then an MKE MP5 clone at the top end.... are they really going to even want to buy an Uzi? Maybe you could sell some well made clones for awhile, but it's going to be an easily saturated market and not worth the set up costs. About the only guys that would buy them would be 07/SOT to use as conversion hosts to go FA. Even then, for the effort involved, most 07/SOT people are going to skip the uzi and go straight to an MP5 anyways.

Basically the PCC game is sort of like musical chairs, and the music has stopped, and stuff like the Uzi and the Beretta storm don't have chairs to sit in anymore.

Now, if you told me "Why can't we have a Ruger MP9...." that'd be slightly more compelling (closed bolt, IIRC). But even that design, while cool, is dated as hell...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE4FnsZZT6c

My understanding is the American manufacturers would rather sell American made firearms than have all their customers buy cheap foreign stuff. It sucks for us but I’d rather American companies make money than commies.
Things are still imported just not in the same quantities.

I have an American made AK, psAK-47 gf3, it’s pretty nice and was cheap when I bought it last year.

Because mine must increase in value exponentially!!!

I bought one on the forum 3 or 4 years ago solely because of the serial number...1954...the same year the UZI was issued to the IDF. It wasn't in pristine shape when I bought it...and I shoot the f*** out of it every now and again. It's not even super fun to shoot on semi-auto. Some day I hope to find a good deal on a full auto and i'll sell the semi.

OMG!! Just build your own...

YAWN.

Then assemble. The BWE receiver is a special receiver. Its a machinegun spec. part. It takes machinegun barrels (not semi barrels) and standard takedown push pin, not semi auto reduced size pin. But it has a FA bolt block.
I built mine as a pistol several years ago. I swap it between pistol and rifle when I want a stock on it. ALSO since mine is a pistol, I can have the QD wooden stock on it because when I remove the stock it resorts back to a pistol (just with a 16" barrel), not a rifle below 26".

RC

Uzi's are very fun. Sure there are lots of newer options with more comfortable stocks and better triggers....but hell, you are shooting an Uzi because they are reliable and cheap to feed. Lots of ways to build or buy out there. Head over here for stimulating conversations about the Uzi

Get your Dogs of War fix as well:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6OESIoJzuI

Last edited:
Don't shy away from a deal on a Norinco 320 as well. I've had great luck with one of them. Parked finish is rough, but an easy fix. Some US furniture and a few Izzy parts made mine run like a sewing machine.

Attachments

• SCAN0236.JPG
    SCAN0236.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 2
Don't shy away from a deal on a Norinco 320 as well. I've had great luck with one of them. Parked finish is rough, but an easy fix. Some US furniture and a few Izzy parts made mine run like a sewing machine.
Someone beat me to one on the forums a little while ago. Before that I almost had a deal for an IWI full-size 45 ACP Uzi but I didn’t quite have the cash; moreover, the seller backed out because he wanted to hold onto it (to be fair it was an incredible piece and it made sense he wanted to keep it in the family). Unfortunately, I’ve just had shite luck closing on one. I’m sure the world’s smallest violin is playing a ballad for me somewhere...

Last edited:
In the early 80s, one of my high school friends had one. A friend of his father gave it to him. The father's friend had a full auto version, my buddy had the 16" semi auto version.

In addition to the Dogs of War fix, you can dream about jumping one in like Rafer, Shawn and the boys did in The Wild Geese:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ6hc2mnQiY

The Israeli military and the United States Secret Service retired the Uzi years ago. Compact select-fire rifles in 5.56mm took their place. Better accuracy, effective range and body armor penetration. SMGs are not in demand anymore, including the MP5.

My understanding is the American manufacturers would rather sell American made firearms than have all their customers buy cheap foreign stuff. It sucks for us but I’d rather American companies make money than commies.
Things are still imported just not in the same quantities.

I have an American made AK, psAK-47 gf3, it’s pretty nice and was cheap when I bought it last year.
It literally doesn't matter in this case because importing cool guns is a pain in the ass. Even most of the imported AK or whatever have to be finished in America to restore them to normal operation. The "gun mafia" protectionism in the US basically ensured that would happen in a rare, unintentional allegiance with anti-gunners... antis love import bans too, because it decreases gun sales...

Basically the only guns americans buy, that are imported, are either some handguns (that make enough points) and mostly sporting type rifles and shotguns....

Back
Top Bottom