• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why we own guns. A scientific answer?

Dean Burnett attempted to write an objective, neutral article on the issue of gun ownership and has no doubt failed spectacularly.

[/thread]

I'm not really sure what the point of that article is...

Can you tell that the photo of the person holding the handgun is not a gun owner.....and so obvious that the writer doesn't know anything about the subject he's writing about.

Last edited:
Why do they love focusing on "Why do people need so many guns?" The author attempted to explore that, but why even go into it? People like to collect things. People collect old ass stamps, coins, keychains, spoons, hand bells, plates with pictures of dogs on them, sports cards, sports cars, hats, sneakers, cast iron skillets, shaving equipment, music, you name it. Why does it matter how many guns a person has? And why does it matter why they have so many?

I like collecting things. I like the subtleties of different designs. I like new toys and I appreciate something that is better suited to a certain application than other things I own. I have many screwdrivers because sometimes I need more torque, sometimes screws are in tight spaces, sometimes screws are big, sometimes small, you get the point.

If sawed off shotguns weren't no-nos I'd have one. Why? A. Because this is still America and I don't have to answer your stupid ass questions. B. Because sometimes spiders get into tight places.

And yeah, nice trigger discipline in the photo.

The science behind gun ownership:

Throughout history, man has been victimized by gangs or armies acting illegally or under the auspice of 'government' to take what was rightfully his. Man has always responded by getting the biggest board with the biggest nail to stop this from happening.

Science.

@Todd - I need so many guns because when the apocalypse comes and the rule of law fails, there will be a lot of people who discover the need to defend themselves.

back, some time ago, my great great.....grandfather went out of the cave at night, and a sabertooth tiger ate him. So all the people around found sharp sticks and rocks to carry when they went outside at night from then on. The ones with the sharp sticks and rocks survived, and the stupid ones without got eaten. So for a long time, the smart ones with protection lasted longer, and bred more.

Fast forward to recent times, and the saber tooth tigers are gone, and you can go out at night without being eaten. So the dumb ones deny their past and forget that there are other nasty critters out there that you might need weapons to protect yourself from.

back, some time ago, my great great.....grandfather went out of the cave at night, and a sabertooth tiger ate him. So all the people around found sharp sticks and rocks to carry when they went outside at night from then on. The ones with the sharp sticks and rocks survived, and the stupid ones without got eaten. So for a long time, the smart ones with protection lasted longer, and bred more.

Fast forward to recent times, and the saber tooth tigers are gone, and you can go out at night without being eaten. So the dumb ones deny their past and forget that there are other nasty critters out there that you might need weapons to protect yourself from.

I was about to post something similar. One, need not to forget the primitive nature of humans and then move to freedom etc.

Why do they love focusing on "Why do people need so many guns?" The author attempted to explore that, but why even go into it? People like to collect things. People collect old ass stamps, coins, keychains, spoons, hand bells, plates with pictures of dogs on them, sports cards, sports cars, hats, sneakers, cast iron skillets, shaving equipment, music, you name it. Why does it matter how many guns a person has? And why does it matter why they have so many?

I like collecting things. I like the subtleties of different designs. I like new toys and I appreciate something that is better suited to a certain application than other things I own. I have many screwdrivers because sometimes I need more torque, sometimes screws are in tight spaces, sometimes screws are big, sometimes small, you get the point.

If sawed off shotguns weren't no-nos I'd have one. Why? A. Because this is still America and I don't have to answer your stupid ass questions. B. Because sometimes spiders get into tight places.

And yeah, nice trigger discipline in the photo.

i had the same thought - if you analyze why humans do anything, you may not like what you find - but what's the point? Part of freedom is having your own reasons for doing things, without some overreaching authority judging you all the time.

The author, Dean Burnett, is a professor of neuroscience in the Psychiatry Dept. at Cardiff Univ., in England. So, after 225 years, the British are still trying to get our guns because he states that to understand gun owners makes it essential to better regulate them: [laugh]

Understanding why people want to own a gun should be essential to better regulate them, because if you just rely on condemnation and blanket criticism of gun owners, they aren’t going to simply agree and hand over their weapons. They’re more likely todouble down and become even more adamant that they’re in the right , making gun control ever more difficult.

Dean Burnett is a doctor of neuroscience, but moonlights as a comedy writer and stand-up comedian. He tutors and lectures at Cardiff University. Dean is now represented by Greene & Heaton. Enquiries can be sent to Chris Wellbelove

Why do we need so many guns? Ask Obama how many clubs he needs to play golf... last I knew, it was 14. The real answer was mentioned above, because I want them (and oh yeah, f**k you).

In a survey of criminals(read that as FELONS IN PRISON), Professors James D. Wright and Peter Rossi of the Social and Demographic Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts conducted a study in 1982 and 1983 paid for by the U.S. Department of Justice. (Professor Rossi was a former President of the American Sociological Association.) The researchers interviewed 1,874 imprisoned felons in ten states.

88% of the criminals surveyed by Wright and Rossi agreed with the statement that, “A criminal who wants a handgun is going to get one.”(read this to mean that these felons are not obeying the gun laws and the Legislature cannot figure this out)

Wright and Rossi reported that:
81% of interviewees agreed that a “smart criminal” will try to determine if a potential victim is armed.

74% indicated that burglars avoided occupied dwellings, because of fear of being shot.

57% said that most criminals feared armed citizens more than the police.

40% of the felons said that they had been deterred from committing a particular crime, because they believed that the potential victim was armed.

57% of the felons who had used guns themselves said that they had encountered potential victims who were armed.

34% of the criminal respondents said that they had been scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed citizen.

Based on this government-funded research by Wright and Rossi, it would appear to a reasonable and prudent man that armed citizens do have a deterrent effect on crime.

http://libertyfirearmstraining.com/...than-they-do-the-police/#sthash.JQNA1AgQ.dpuf

Back
Top Bottom