Wife moved to FL from MA-questions of how to buy

It is all about tax angle, the 2A stuff is just extra cake.

There is no income tax here, ( or NH) so his wife is in the same position my wife is, although her company is based in MA, her post retirement gig will be working from "home" which this winter will be Florida, and then next spring she heads back to NH.

In our case it saves 6.25% which will help offset the self employment tax (what the employer FICA contribution would be we pay as self employed )

The tax angle requires you to spend 183 days (> 50%) in FL to claim florida residency for the purpose of taxes. Northeast states, particularly MA, CT, NY, and NJ are getting very aggressive about people who file in FL and don't spend at least 183 days there. They are pulling ezPass and cell phone records to figure out how much time you spent in each state.

But again, you could still spend 183 days in FL, not file a MA return and keep a MA DL and LTC.

Residency is not an all encompassing legal thing. You may be a resident based on firearms laws and not a resident based on voting laws and a resident based on local state university rules.

You could remain domiciled in MA and still spend 183 days in FL and file a FL income tax return. And if this isn't discussed on an open internet forum, nobody would notice, care or think to look at this.

I am in Florida frequently, even earlier today as I was on a 6 AM flight to Boston, and I am going back next weekend.... There is no advantage for me ( outside of the Florida Homestead exemption) to change my residency from NH to FL, it would actually cost me as auto insurance there is quite pricey and I have quite a few motor vehicles...4 of which are in my garage in FL with NH plates. It may not be quite Kosher but the vehicles do move back and forth.

I have a motorcycle of no real value in CT with MA plates. It is that way because when I looked into registering it in MA my insurance guy said "pay my runner $20 and I'll have it registered for you and mail you the plates"

MY CT insurance guy didn't offer that and registering in CT would have involved wasting 3 hours at the DMV. Ha.

People take this residency business way too seriously and impose restrictions on themselves that don’t exist. I truly believe that it is because we have been so browbeaten in this state that we can’t believe it is as simple as it is.

Read the 4473 and comply with the instructions to buy a handgun. ANY state issued documentation works as long as the FFL accepts it.

IME a resident fishing license is acceptable. If you own property AND the tax bill is mailed to the Florida address works as well. If the tax bill is sent to an address out of state the FFL won’t accept it. They can check real estate records Online in a few minutes. An electric bill or water bill is also acceptable IF the utility is a state run utility

Any FFL can sell you a rifle that is legal to possess in your home state.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom