Wife wants a knife

Wife told me yesterday she wants a knife to carry in her purse.

She doesn't like liner lock type knives because she is afraid she is going to chop her finger off. She was using my Benchmade (bugout) when asking about a knife and said she likes the Axis lock mechanism but doesn't want something as big.

Doesn't have to be an Axis lock but definetly not a liner lock, on the smaller side and pocket clip isn't needed. What say ye sage NES knife enthusiasts?

What about pepper spray?

Knife is kinda personal and she would probably be hesitant to use it.

Knife should be backup.

Switchblades don't usually have a double edge. That one probably has a false edge. Beveled but not sharpened. Banning autos is silly if you can have a fixed blade karambit IMO.

Switchblades don't usually have a double edge. That one probably has a false edge. Beveled but not sharpened. Banning autos is silly if you can have a fixed blade karambit IMO.
It looks like the front portion may be double edged, but I could be mistaken.

What about pepper spray?

Knife should be backup.
It’s not for personal defense. She has pepper spray and and her CCW for that.

The knife is more for opening packages etc. she liked the Swiss Army knife suggestion so she’s probably going that route.

It’s not for personal defense. She has pepper spray and and her CCW for that.

The knife is more for opening packages etc. she liked the Swiss Army knife suggestion so she’s probably going that route.

Cool. Reason I said that because my GF wanted a knife for protection, so I asked her if she was prepared to do the messy stuff.

Got Fox labs for her after that Convo :)

This is why I don't want a knife for self defence, I have no intention of getting personal with an attacker. Has she really thought about this, it's not a look at my scary knife and hope he runs away. As soon as it comes out she has to stick it into the bad guy, up close and personal, probably repeatedly. And the standard for using a knife will be the same as a gun, deadly force is deadly force.

If she won't use a gun, go with this stuff. Has both the traditional Mace and the OC (they act on people differently), Pepper Spray Equipped with Tear Gas and UV Marking Dye- Triple Action by Mace®

What about pepper spray?

Knife should be backup.

I carry a karambit (Fox Dart w/ a 2.5' straight blade) along w/ my 365 and pepper spray. The reason I carry it is in case I get attacked from behind, pushed up against a wall or have someone on my back on the ground and don't have full arm mobility and can't effectively use my gun or pepper spray. I figure if I ever use it it'll be a quick deploy from the pocket and rapid backwards stabs to the groin/leg of an attacker if that's the best I can manage. Potentially to cut an arm too if in a chokehold. I do Krav so have defensives I can use in those situations, and practice them enough to know they're not 100% effective in all scenarios.

I carry a karambit (Fox Dart w/ a 2.5' straight blade) along w/ my 365 and pepper spray. The reason I carry it is in case I get attacked from behind, pushed up against a wall or have someone on my back on the ground and don't have full arm mobility and can't effectively use my gun or pepper spray. I figure if I ever use it it'll be a quick deploy from the pocket and rapid backwards stabs to the groin/leg of an attacker if that's the best I can manage. Potentially to cut an arm too if in a chokehold. I do Krav so have defensives I can use in those situations, and practice them enough to know they're not 100% effective in all scenarios.

very cool. i hope you use the karambit backhanded, i often see people carrying those in a way that gives away they have no idea how to use them. if youre really good with it you can draw, deploy, and slash in one fluid motion. the important thing to remember is if you slash in a straight line it will get stuck, you need to sink the karambit in and turn in 90 degrees and rip it out. theres a circular motion to it. the back of the karambit is great for parrying, theres a whole system for it.

I took a class with Doug Marcaida, it was mind blowing.

very cool. i hope you use the karambit backhanded, i often see people carrying those in a way that gives away they have no idea how to use them. if youre really good with it you can draw, deploy, and slash in one fluid motion. the important thing to remember is if you slash in a straight line it will get stuck, you need to sink the karambit in and turn in 90 degrees and rip it out. theres a circular motion to it. the back of the karambit is great for parrying, theres a whole system for it.

I took a class with Doug Marcaida, it was mind blowing.

Yes, I deploy & would use it backhanded. I can deploy pretty quickly/smoothly. Never trained w/ Marcaida (jealous) but have taken some basic Kali one on one sessions w/ instructor at Krav - don't poke yourself in the eye stuff. I really wouldn't want to have to use it in a traditional fight scenario. I hate knives, give me gun/stick/club defense scenario any day over knife.

If you haven't bought anything yet I'm pretty sure I have a Boker Toplock 2 combo edge I'd be willing to let go for very short money.

Non-automatic, button lock. Locks open and closed. No clip. I believe there's a nylon sheath too.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Jva2VyL2ltYWdlcy83MTA3Yy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDc2MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

Last edited:
This is why I don't want a knife for self defence, I have no intention of getting personal with an attacker. Has she really thought about this, it's not a look at my scary knife and hope he runs away. As soon as it comes out she has to stick it into the bad guy, up close and personal, probably repeatedly. And the standard for using a knife will be the same as a gun, deadly force is deadly force.

If she won't use a gun, go with this stuff. Has both the traditional Mace and the OC (they act on people differently), Pepper Spray Equipped with Tear Gas and UV Marking Dye- Triple Action by Mace®
My knife is the most useful thing i own.

I agree on self defense but get her a knife any way.

Benchmade mini bugout

Para3

Mini recon by cold steel

Hogue makes button knives

Also tell her liner locks take about 30 min of fidgeting and they become second nature

Look forward to see what you think of it when it arrives.

I'll post...

Got it and first off I was very happy with BladeHQ's shipping department. They packed my CIVIVI in a sturdy cardboard box with packing peanuts. Most others use
soft mailers which are fine for a clamshell plastic factory knife package, but if you are like me and keep the original boxes, soft mailers get crushed so bad they are just another packing material and do nothing to protect the knife.

CIVIVI also did a great job with their packaging. Nice security seal on both end flaps, Elementum came in a nice, zippered case with polishing/wipe-down cloth, a nice CIVIVI decal which looks exactly like the Elementum in cutout silhouette.

The knife itself is incredible. Flawless finish and construction, button works extremely well and locks up securely. It has a nice, long deep-carry pocket clip that is a muted matte finish and does not scream out "There's a knife in my pocket!" like chrome clips can do.

The knife is light, but not "cheap, light" and is barely noticeable in a jeans pocket. Presentation from closed-in-pocket is very fast and clean with positive lock-up.
I'm not a "fidgeter" but I can see why this would be a lot of fun to flip-open, flip-closed endlessly. The ceramic captured bearings are marvelous.

The edge that came with my knife is nicely edged and without poor grinding waves or anomalies. I rate its sharpness as a 7 on a 1:10, which is good for a production knife and will only take a little extra love to get it to my liking. Very few knives have needed "no finishing" and I'm happy with this one.

I paid $49.99 for a $100 dollar knife in my opinion.

Buy with confidence...

~Enbloc

1662999800979.png

The Elementum is one hell of knife for the price. I’m not a fan of the lanyard loops, but that‘s personal taste and doesn’t impact performance.FE43600B-0731-4C0E-8B5D-F1E9A11B884F.jpeg

I've been impressed with every WE/civivi I've handled. Great fit/finish and action.
I’ve had a couple where the edge wasn’t ground perfectly. I fixed that with my stones. But then I’m the type who sharpens a new knife as soon as I get it. I agree on the actions in general being very good.

Swiss knife Shop has a few Vics for chicks.
78B71B66-210F-40C2-9810-F80FA75EA22E.png

this second one really isn’t geared toward any specific gender, but it’s smaller than a typical Victorinox. Either one can go on her keys or purse. You can never just have a knife.
2BCEDC01-0F86-4DD6-84DF-46ABC8B1E45C.png

Back
Top Bottom