• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will the real serial number please stand up? Range report.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Took possession of MAEMT86's M17 Colt today. It's a very nice, very large revolver, with apparently 2 serial numbers.

We have 191849 on the yoke and crane. We have 2977 irregularly stamped on the yoke, crane, and underside of the barrel. There is a different Army number on the butt; unlike the S/W where the Army number WAS the serial number. Grips are unnumbered as both variants historically were. The cylinder is not numbered; they were on the S/.W.

I am leaning to 191K as the SN and 2977 as inventory? Maybe?

What say you?

t

Attachments

• IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4496.jpg
    IMG_4496.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4497.jpg
    IMG_4497.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4498.jpg
    IMG_4498.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4499.jpg
    IMG_4499.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4501.jpg
    IMG_4501.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4502.jpg
    IMG_4502.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 65
Further internet poking shows Colt put SNs where I thought they did, plus under the side plate. I don't know how to get that off as the cylinder latch is in the way.

t

...and the mystery deepens...the side plate is unnumbered...and I can't get it back on!

t

Attachments

• IMG_4503.jpg
    IMG_4503.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
Neither of those.
It's the third SN on the butt.

Nice Revolvah!

COLT MODEL 1917 - Pistolsmith

Colt's records show your gunas made in 1919. The year started off with serial number 170500 and ended at 259999.

There's an oddity with the Colt 1917 revolvers.
The serial number on the butt was the official militaryserial number, and this is the number the government used. If you bought a 1917 from the government through the old DCM, the papers would list this number.

However, Colt considered the 1917 to be just a New Service, so they also put New Service range serial numbers on the frame, crane, and I think, inside the side plate just as they did on all Colt revolvers.

For this reason, Colt has no separate serial number listing for
1917 revolvers, they put them in with the New Service and Shooting Master models.

There's a debate as to which should be considered the "real" serial number....The official US Government number, or the Colt factory number on the frame.

In my opinion, since the government considered the butt number to be the "Official" serial number, and that was the number used when they were sold through the DCM, that's the "real" serial number.

In truth, either could be used, but this could lead to confusion, if some people used one number and someone else used the other.

Neither of those.
It's the third SN on the butt.

Nice Revolvah!

COLT MODEL 1917 - Pistolsmith

No it's not. If you read the post you provided, it's the number on the crane and neck, as I surmised. Only on a S/W, of which I had one, was the number on the butt the SN. In a S/W 4 numbers matched - crane, under barrel, cylinder, and butt.

t

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.09.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 4.09.36 PM.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Defaced serial #s, you're going to jail!:emoji_cop::emoji_oncoming_police_car:

/just kidding

I'm wondering if at some point two revolvers were disassembled for service or rearsenal and yours got mixed parts. Or if the parts were struck, put in a bin, and later restruck for assembly.

That's what I think; I'm 99.44% sure the 191k is the SN- February 1919. The only thing that didn't jive was no SN inside.

Still trying to get the side plate to go back in...three holes have to be just so...especially a hole in the spring loaded cylinder release tab.

T

Bob Murphy's book "Colt New Service Revolvers" on page 33 mentions that the US Post Office may have put the 4 digit numbers on their M1917's. He doesn't say where on the gun or how many were stamped. Be aware this book was written in 1985 so I wouldn't take everything in it as gospel. Your side plate could be a replacement or the stamping was overlooked when the gun was assembled. Apparently the Army number is recognized as the official serial number. BTW nice piece!

It was previously registered with the 4-digit SN. Should I keep that or use the manufacturer's one?

Big gun for a letter carrier

T

If it were mine I would use the Colt factory number. That's the original one. The Army and PO had the own reasons for their numbers. The (supposed) PO number isn't on the frame so I definitely would not use that one.

Finally got it back together after nearly an hour of fussing. There was a fair amount of wear inside, but hey, it is 99 years old.

Now its time to shoot it before the snow comes.

t

what serial number was used when it was registered to him and/or transferred? Continue using that.

The grips would typically have the s/n written on them in pencil on the inside. I can see some pencil writing on one of yours. On both my colt and s/w 1917 the numbers in pencil match the gun's s/n. I forget if on the colt that is the butt number or crane number though.

I was on the Colt forum, and got the 411 on it as part of a M17 serial number study.

Your Colt M1917 was delivered to the Government during the week of March 9, 1918 as part of a weekly delivery of 2400 revolvers. The rebuild number 2977 could be from Springfield, but it could also be from Augusta - they used the same system as dictated by Springfield. I don't think the Rock Island numbers got that high.

Happy Belated 100th Birthday!
t[party]

Seems like a very long time since I've been to the range. Pleasant 50F, still snow on the ground, sun, intermittent gusty breeze. Shot from 50 feet, about 60 rounds, about 14 Liberty 77gr/1500fps and the rest 230gr/830fps WWB. Mixed single and double action. The few metal moon clips sucked; jamming the cylinder - the thicker RIMZ plastic moons were great. The Liberty had a harder recoil and we're louder as they're +P. The regular ball was much more controllable. Single action more accurate; 60 or so rounds gives you a workout. Kinda looks like a shotgun score.

T
IMG_4599.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom