Will y'all be my Elmer?

All,
I am currently taking my time stuck inside to study for my technicians license and I was wondering if you guys would be willing to help out a prospective ham If i run into any trouble.

First question for you guys: Any good study tools you can recommend? I have the AARL Produced textbook with the test at the back.

I just read the books and did practice tests with these apps until consistently over 90% (you need 74% to pass). Preferred the apps over the book for randomizing questions and how you scored on each section. After ten practice tests you get a solid picture of where to focus.

AD35E25A-155C-4630-A6A1-37B96FAE7958.png E46E9CC3-B942-45C5-9022-757A90BE2027.png F5893E11-EB70-4113-B254-614CE24DE86A.png

+1 on the practice tests. When testing make sure you read and re-read the question. There are a few tricky/sneaky ones.

Read through that a few times ☝

Good luck, it is a fun hobby and plenty of skills to develop along the way. Focus on license to at least General, Amateur Extra may seem like a difficult obstacle, but once you get through it, you will never have to do it again!

This is what I used - for tech and general, these are the exact same questions on the tests. The Extra question pool is going to be reset in June of this year, but I believe the other two have a few years left.

Strongly agree based on personal experience in the last 9 months.

Registered at HamExam , they track my test results by question / section , and randomize the questions from the test pool.

For study material, since I have Kindle Unlimited, I didn't have to purchase a book.
I used Craig "Buck" K1IA - Easy Way Ham - Technician ebook
I took the practice tests daily after finishing the book - when I had 8 successive tests at 90% or better, took my test. Lic granted 7 November 2019.

Did the same process for my General - upgrade granted 28 December 2019.

Now deciding on external antenna for home, what bands and modes I'm interested in using, etc.

You do not have to spend any money for study guides or practice test systems. It is all available for free on line you just have to look. Contact me and I will help you get on track. I have helped other new hams on NES
Contact me and I will reply with my email and phone number and will make myself available to answer questions and get you going in the right direction. Also my email address is available on QRZ check out my QRZ page www.qrz.com
John N1HM

Alright, After reading all this i got myself set up on hamstudy.org and have been taking their practice tests. I am great with all the electrical and safety stuff its the legal stuff I'm struggling with so I'm going to be focusing on that. I also got myself a cheap HT because I am within range of all the repeaters on Mt Greylock and I can listen to their nets!

Download the question pool and memorize the correct answers, ignoring the incorrect answers. Feel free to learn at the same time, but some of the questions are things you don't need to memorize, you could just read them off a band plan chart.

Keep doing the online exams until you get to the point where you can consistently ace the exam time after time. That's when you know you'll be ready for the exam. There are some weird gotcha questions but if you know the answer and the reason for the answer then you're definitely ready. Good luck, the technicians license is not that hard.

If you can pass the technission exam if you study for both you will be able to pass the general exam. The general exam has some new questions however there are a lot.of tecnection exam questions they are just asked differently the general licence will open the world to you and it is worth it

Back
Top Bottom