• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester 350 Legend

I bought a bunch of it at Walmart, back when it was cheaper than 223. $12 a box, have no use for it, but it's a cool looking round. Kinda like the can of .50 BMG I bought online for $300 shipped.

I realize that "most" people here are from the North / Northeast, but from talking to my family down in TX and LA, the 350 and 450 have gotten extremely popular for hogs in the brush, or they switch to 556 , 6.5, or 308, almost all on AR platforms with a few ruger bolt actions thrown in. My Niece and her Husband want me to go back down for a visit and a hog hunt but that wont be happening anytime soon.

I bought a bunch of it at Walmart, back when it was cheaper than 223. $12 a box, have no use for it, but it's a cool looking round. Kinda like the can of .50 BMG I bought online for $300 shipped.
Its 14 a box now at WM for target rounds, still not that bad. $24 for 150 grain hunting rounds. I bought a few boxes as well. I may be able to use it in PA, I think they have a straight wall cartridge law where I'll be hunting.

Plan was to pick up either a Ruger ranch or Savage Axis or Henry Single in that caliber anyway at some point. The advantage of carrying a short light rifle as compared to a relatively heavy slug gun is really why I like straight wall law. Its annoying as F that they dont have it in Central/Western MA where it could be easily implemented safely. Most of my spots in Central ma you could use a regular rifle cartridge and not have an issue. And what' stupid is.....for Coyotes....I do use one.

I understand that the woods aren't loaded with coyote hunters like in deer season. But still.....f***ing nannies.

Last edited:

Same caliber back-up for hunters in straight-wall only states? A friend used to shoot silhouette with a 629 built for 357-44 Bain & Davis. Ballistics are actually better than the 350 Legend and it's a shorter cartridge. Would have been easier for S&W to make also.

87cc36e9-9e15-4b2a-82aa-f17feef84801-jpeg.553396

I will give them credit. After almost 20 years since they released anything new, maybe they are pulling their heads out of their @sses.

Haters can go play with their junk polymer guns.

The only negative I see (short term) is the moonclips. For their 929, they come with 3 TK moonclips so I am guessing they partnered with TK for this one as well. The problem is, TK wants stupid money for their moonclips.

Additionally the moonclips need a tool to attach and detach the rounds from the clips, which TK also sells. 5 moon clips + the tool will cost over $100 at TK.

The positive, those that own the tool to remove rounds from the moonclip for a 9mm or 357 shouldn't need a new one since the diameter of the bullet is .357.

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure how popular 350 legend is so that’s why I asked lol. I know everytime I’ve been to the ammo section at Walmart it was always 350 legend that was collecting dust 😂
It’s not huge with the shooting crowd but it’s really big with the hunting crowd. I’ve seen it on so damn many YouTube channels and features in the gun rags and tv shows. It took off way stronger than I thought it would.

It makes sense in a revolver too. Backup gun with the same ammo. Dimensionally it’s a 357 maximum without a rim so load data and performance history are all there.

I would love to see the ballistics from that short barrel. I would imagine they will get some more stank out of it with modern powders vs. the old load data for the maximum.

If you haven’t shot one it’s worth a try if you get a chance. It’s a lot of kick ass.

I wasn’t sure how popular 350 legend is so that’s why I asked lol. I know everytime I’ve been to the ammo section at Walmart it was always 350 legend that was collecting dust 😂
It seems it's a regional cartridge. There are a handful of (mostly midwestern, IIRC) states where you can only use a rifle to hunt (deer) if it uses a straight-walled cartridge. It's relatively new to boot - introduced in 2019. It's neat because it's developed for use in AR-15s, with just a barrel and magazine change, and similar energy to 30-30.

But we Yankees are notorious skinflints, we don't have those requirements around here (either you can use rifles or you can't, as far as I can tell) so the folks around here who would want it are travelling to those states or just love collecting cartridges. The funny thing is that hunting forums seem to be full of people begging for it in a lever gun; maybe this is a good sign for them?

Part of me has been thinking that the 300 AR I'm building might be better in Legend...not that I'm in a great rush either way.

Also, the post you're replying to was directed at another post that was extolling the benefits of a 20 round mag when deer hunting. If a person can only load 5 rounds, what is that 20-rounder but extra weight?

The benefit of the NH law is you don't have to buy special mags for hunting. You can just use OEM mags.

It seems it's a regional cartridge. There are a handful of (mostly midwestern, IIRC) states where you can only use a rifle to hunt (deer) if it uses a straight-walled cartridge. It's relatively new to boot - introduced in 2019. It's neat because it's developed for use in AR-15s, with just a barrel and magazine change, and similar energy to 30-30.

But we Yankees are notorious skinflints, we don't have those requirements around here (either you can use rifles or you can't, as far as I can tell) so the folks around here who would want it are travelling to those states or just love collecting cartridges. The funny thing is that hunting forums seem to be full of people begging for it in a lever gun; maybe this is a good sign for them?

Part of me has been thinking that the 300 AR I'm building might be better in Legend...not that I'm in a great rush either way.
This......regional. If I'm in parts of PA/Ohio/Indiana, whatever shotgun area and had to carry a 9 pound scoped shotgun and can go to a 16 inch barrelled scoped Ruger Ranch in 350 Legend that weighs just over 6 pounds....and add maybe 50 yards to my effective range along with it....yeah, its interesting. I think of shotgun areas of NH adopted it...it would be more popular around here. For certain if MA did.....lots of people would buy them instead of a shotgun. Or use levers or semis they already have in 44, 45-70 or 45 colt.

350 as a Levergun is neat...but not like we don't have 44 Mag already to hunt with in Levers and Ruger Semi's already.

It would be cool in a lever gun. It would beat 357 performance. However we do have the bullet diameter discrepancy. Which leads me to sticking with a 357. Way more available bullet designs.

If you wanted the AR platform though it’s a badass hunting cartridge

This......regional. If I'm in parts of PA/Ohio/Indiana, whatever shotgun area and had to carry a 9 pound scoped shotgun and can go to a 16 inch barrelled scoped Ruger Ranch in 350 Legend that weighs just over 6 pounds....and add maybe 50 yards to my effective range along with it....yeah, its interesting. I think of shotgun areas of NH adopted it...it would be more popular around here. For certain if MA did.....lots of people would buy them instead of a shotgun. Or use levers or semis they already have in 44, 45-70 or 45 colt.

350 as a Levergun is neat...but not like we don't have 44 Mag already to hunt with in Levers and Ruger Semi's already.
Lots of areas that were shotgun only in nh have already adopted rifles in certain caliber as well as handguns. This is now true for most of zone m. Trick is it has to be a lever action carbine no semi auto.....and by strict definition no bolt action 🙄

My goal this year is to take a deer with the 44 mag Smith.

Screenshot_20220818-164444_Chrome.jpg

It would be cool in a lever gun. It would beat 357 performance. However we do have the bullet diameter discrepancy. Which leads me to sticking with a 357. Way more available bullet designs.

Generally rimless cartridges don’t work well in lever guns as you know. Just got a AR-Stoner 350 Legend upper for a Hog hunt next spring in Carolina.

Proof I'm not into reloading. I thought I'd read they used different projectiles, then I wasn't sure any more and assumed they were fine. So 350 and 357 can't use the same bullets? That's a shame.

.350 Legend came after .450 Bushmaster got the market all hot for hunting ARs. Makes sense to go smaller as the .450 is a legit moose and buffalo caliber and most are just looking for a deer gun.

For reloaders, it does use .357 bullets and is straight walled, so no trimming needed.

I have thought about getting an upper just to have a cheap, easy to load semi auto rifle caliber that has better range than 10mm.

It’s not huge with the shooting crowd but it’s really big with the hunting crowd. I’ve seen it on so damn many YouTube channels and features in the gun rags and tv shows. It took off way stronger than I thought it would.

It makes sense in a revolver too. Backup gun with the same ammo. Dimensionally it’s a 357 maximum without a rim so load data and performance history are all there.

I would love to see the ballistics from that short barrel. I would imagine they will get some more stank out of it with modern powders vs. the old load data for the maximum.

If you haven’t shot one it’s worth a try if you get a chance. It’s a lot of kick ass.
Waiting for the "Alaskan" edition with a 3" barrel, the "survival" edition with a 2" barrel, their Performance Center edition with a 12" barrel and a bipop, followed by the hunter performance edition with a 12" barrel, rails and tactical black barrel.

Generally rimless cartridges don’t work well in lever guns as you know. Just got a AR-Stoner 350 Legend upper for a Hog hunt next spring in Carolina.
True. Though they make conversions for ACP in the 1894 and 1873.
Proof I'm not into reloading. I thought I'd read they used different projectiles, then I wasn't sure any more and assumed they were fine. So 350 and 357 can't use the same bullets? That's a shame.
.355 vs .357

Waiting for the "Alaskan" edition with a 3" barrel, the "survival" edition with a 2" barrel, their Performance Center edition with a 12" barrel and a bipop, followed by the hunter performance edition with a 12" barrel, rails and tactical black barrel.
You forgot the most important market segment, and we've all run across these tools from time to time:

"Nice Smith you got there."

"It's not JUST a Smith & Wesson, IT'S A LEW HORTON!!!"

"What's the big deal about that?"

"IT'S A SPECIAL EDITION AND THEY ONLY MAKE A LIMITED RUN FOR THEIR EXCLUSIVE CUSTOMERS!"

"So you paid $400 more for a set of $50 hardwood grips?"

"DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? SPECIAL EDITION! IT WILL DOUBLE IN VALUE IN 4 MONTHS!"

troll-face-creepy-smile.gif

You forgot the most important market segment, and we've all run across these tools from time to time:

"Nice Smith you got there."

"It's not JUST a Smith & Wesson, IT'S A LEW HORTON!!!"

"What's the big deal about that?"

"IT'S A SPECIAL EDITION AND THEY ONLY MAKE A LIMITED RUN FOR THEIR EXCLUSIVE CUSTOMERS!"

"So you paid $400 more for a set of $50 hardwood grips?"

"DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? SPECIAL EDITION! IT WILL DOUBLE IN VALUE IN 4 MONTHS!"

troll-face-creepy-smile.gif
But but but it’s got a 3” barrel!

Seriously though those N frame grips are worth $400 by themselves.

Lots of areas that were shotgun only in nh have already adopted rifles in certain caliber as well as handguns. This is now true for most of zone m. Trick is it has to be a lever action carbine no semi auto.....and by strict definition no bolt action 🙄

View attachment 651717
So 6 rounds or less and I can take out Bambi with a Glock 20? I would actually do that.

View attachment 651717
What's with the arbitrary bolding? (I know you didn't do it, but you did post it...)

Heck, by strict definition, the lever gun has to be a shorter barrel. (Carbine vs. rifle)

Back
Top Bottom