Winchester .45 ACP headstamp mystery.....

drgrant

NES Member
I've had these for awhile, but I was wondering where the hell they came from? (see the piece of brass on the right.... )

headstamp.jpg

I acquired this batch of brass and I probably have like 300 or 400 of these. They work fine, but the primer pockets are tighter on them than the brass on the left, which I consider the "normal" winchester brass.

Is this weird brass because winchester might have had someone else making their brass for them? It looks an awful lot like the type of design that S&B uses.

-Mike

I believe the left is white box and the one on the right is from self defense ammo. Not sure what they offer for self defense but that's my two cents.

I believe the left is white box and the one on the right is from self defense ammo. Not sure what they offer for self defense but that's my two cents.

At first that's what I thought, too.... but normally SD ammo is nickel plated, and most of the win JHP ammo I've seen looks more like the one on the left, at least Win Ranger .45 does. I suppose it's possible it was the cheapo JHPs they sell at walmart, I think the "Win USA" line of JHPs came in just a brass casing, too. Whoever it was must have bought a ton of it.... (this batch of brass all came from one source, which probably retrieved it in the same place. )

-Mike

Based on a conversation I had with someone @ Winchester regarding some funky-looking 9mm ammo, it looks like the primer pocket may have a NATO-style "crimp" on it. Hence the little ridge on the inside edge. That's my best semi-educated guess.

If we only knew, I'm sure many companies purchase components from other companies and simply stamp their name on said product. Or it could just be a different production line at the same company. I've seen variations in headstamp quality on Winchester .45 Auto and others as well.
Do the dots/decimal points mean anything? Beats me!
Where does Hornady get their steel-cases from? Wolf?
Prvi makes the "Wolf Gold" brass and probably the entire product, for all I know.
As long as all brass is made to a reasonable standard, it should all be good to go.

Based on a conversation I had with someone @ Winchester regarding some funky-looking 9mm ammo, it looks like the primer pocket may have a NATO-style "crimp" on it. Hence the little ridge on the inside edge. That's my best semi-educated guess.

These definitely aren't crimped.... otheriwse there would be smashed primers all over my reloading bench right about now. They seat like S+B brass but slightly less obnoxious.

-Mike

These definitely aren't crimped.... otheriwse there would be smashed primers all over my reloading bench right about now. They seat like S+B brass but slightly less obnoxious.

-Mike

Ahhhh. Not sure how I missed that these were acquired brass that have been reloaded.

Reading Comprehension 1, Sina 0. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom